Camera at Rock concert

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 14, 2005 3:23:05 PM

Hi:

I am going to the U2 Vertigo tour in London...Does any one know is a camera
allowed? I guess DV is generally prohibited but I am thinkg of bringing
along my DSLR....

D.

More about : camera rock concert

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:23:06 PM

> I am going to the U2 Vertigo tour in London...Does any one know is a
camera
> allowed? I guess DV is generally prohibited but I am thinkg of bringing
> along my DSLR....

Almost certainly cameras will NOT be allowed. You can call the venue and
find out. Usually it is printed on the back of the ticket.

ef
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:23:06 PM

It depends on both the venue and the artist. Typically, how strict
enforcement of no-photography rules are applied by a venue's security
staff is via the request of the artist and/or their management. So if
cameras are ok with the artist/management, then the security personnel
well be more forgiving.

DEFINITELY no DSLR's... and whatever type of camera you try to bring, I
wouldn't sneak it in. Bring it with you in plain sight - this way you
will know for sure if it's allowed or not. Just check it in at the coat
check or bring it back to your car if it isn't.

If you call up a venue's box office, 99.9% of the time they well tell
you no cameras as this is the generally accepted rule across the board,
but the truth is they don't know for sure. This is a bit of a grey area
as if anyone who speaks for the venue says they are allowed, then you
will get a 10,000 people bringing their cameras.

You want to be able to take pictures if the circumstances allow, but
you also want to respect the venue's and artist's wishes should they
choose not to allow this. So I always bring my camera with me for this
reason.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:23:06 PM

I've used the small pocketable digital cameras at concerts without incident
if the flash is turned off and you do not make an annoyance of yourself by
blocking the view of someone who may complain. I asked security at the gate
and the guy said "As long as you don't get caught." So far no worries. I
doubt if they can control the camera-phones.

Mack
June 14, 2005 3:23:07 PM

Terence wrote:
> It depends on both the venue and the artist. Typically, how strict
> enforcement of no-photography rules are applied by a venue's security
> staff is via the request of the artist and/or their management. So if
> cameras are ok with the artist/management, then the security personnel
> well be more forgiving.
>
> DEFINITELY no DSLR's... and whatever type of camera you try to bring, I
> wouldn't sneak it in. Bring it with you in plain sight - this way you
> will know for sure if it's allowed or not. Just check it in at the coat
> check or bring it back to your car if it isn't.
>
> If you call up a venue's box office, 99.9% of the time they well tell
> you no cameras as this is the generally accepted rule across the board,
> but the truth is they don't know for sure. This is a bit of a grey area
> as if anyone who speaks for the venue says they are allowed, then you
> will get a 10,000 people bringing their cameras.
>
> You want to be able to take pictures if the circumstances allow, but
> you also want to respect the venue's and artist's wishes should they
> choose not to allow this. So I always bring my camera with me for this
> reason.

Oh, yeah, that's what I'm going to do... leave $3K of camera gear with a
hat check person. Absolutely stellar idea! Not!

Better to hide the camera in your beer cooler. :)

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

>Oh, yeah, that's what I'm going to do... leave $3K of camera gear with a
>hat check person. Absolutely stellar idea! Not!

Hat check person? At a stadium rock show? What century are you living
in?
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 4:50:51 PM

"EF in FLA" <abc@bcs.com> wrote in message
>> I am going to the U2 Vertigo tour in London...Does any one know is a
> camera
>> allowed? I guess DV is generally prohibited but I am thinkg of bringing
>> along my DSLR....
>>

> Almost certainly cameras will NOT be allowed. You can call the venue and
> find out. Usually it is printed on the back of the ticket.
>
> ef

Thanks for the reply. I have just found it is said on the venue website that
cameras are not allowed.... But all I want is to take a photo of my
favourate band on my own....not for commericial purpose or whatever...
How strict are those rules? Does any one have experience in taking photos in
a concert?
Thanks!
June 14, 2005 4:50:52 PM

"David Zou" <xzous@noreply.com> wrote in message
news:D 8mgbb$ltb$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...

> "EF in FLA" <abc@bcs.com> wrote in message
>>> I am going to the U2 Vertigo tour in London...Does any one know is a
>> camera
>>> allowed? I guess DV is generally prohibited but I am thinkg of bringing
>>> along my DSLR....
>>>

>> Almost certainly cameras will NOT be allowed. You can call the venue and
>> find out. Usually it is printed on the back of the ticket.
>>
>> ef
>
> Thanks for the reply. I have just found it is said on the venue website
> that cameras are not allowed.... But all I want is to take a photo of my
> favourate band on my own....not for commericial purpose or whatever...
> How strict are those rules? Does any one have experience in taking photos
> in a concert?
> Thanks!
You can be escorted out of the concert, they normally search people entering
the venue. Your camera can be confiscated at that time.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:42:52 PM

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in message

> "David Zou" <xzous@noreply.com> wrote in message
> news:D 8mgbb$ltb$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...
>>
>> "EF in FLA" <abc@bcs.com> wrote in message
>>> camera
>>>>

>>> Almost certainly cameras will NOT be allowed. You can call the venue
>>> and
>>> find out. Usually it is printed on the back of the ticket.
>>>
>>> ef
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. I have just found it is said on the venue website
>> that cameras are not allowed.... But all I want is to take a photo of my
>> favourate band on my own....not for commericial purpose or whatever...
>> How strict are those rules? Does any one have experience in taking photos
>> in a concert?
>> Thanks!
> You can be escorted out of the concert, they normally search people
> entering the venue. Your camera can be confiscated at that time.

See! Thanks.... Probably it is a good idea not to bring my camera and just
enjoy the concert then...

D.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:24:17 PM

Thanks!

That sounds encouraging!

Probably I 'd borrow a cheap point and shot camera....Or get a 1M pixel new
tech camera phone?

I am in the standing area.... Dont know how crowd it's gonna be...

David

"Terence" <auriga_m38@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It depends on both the venue and the artist. Typically, how strict
> enforcement of no-photography rules are applied by a venue's security
> staff is via the request of the artist and/or their management. So if
> cameras are ok with the artist/management, then the security personnel
> well be more forgiving.
>
> DEFINITELY no DSLR's... and whatever type of camera you try to bring, I
> wouldn't sneak it in. Bring it with you in plain sight - this way you
> will know for sure if it's allowed or not. Just check it in at the coat
> check or bring it back to your car if it isn't.
>
> If you call up a venue's box office, 99.9% of the time they well tell
> you no cameras as this is the generally accepted rule across the board,
> but the truth is they don't know for sure. This is a bit of a grey area
> as if anyone who speaks for the venue says they are allowed, then you
> will get a 10,000 people bringing their cameras.
>
> You want to be able to take pictures if the circumstances allow, but
> you also want to respect the venue's and artist's wishes should they
> choose not to allow this. So I always bring my camera with me for this
> reason.

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:35:08 PM

>>You can be escorted out of the concert, they normally search people
entering
>>the venue. Your camera can be confiscated at that time.
I wonder what they are going to do about camera/phone combos. It seems like
just about every teenage has one in here in the UK these days and I think
they'd get short shrift if they tried to confiscate everyone's phone.

Keith
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:48:34 PM

Keith Sheppard wrote:
[]
> I wonder what they are going to do about camera/phone combos. It
> seems like just about every teenage has one in here in the UK these
> days and I think they'd get short shrift if they tried to confiscate
> everyone's phone.

But think of all the secondary benefits - no ring tones going off
unexpectedly, no listening to one side of a conversation in a bus or
train, and just imagine the reduced phone bills for parents. You could be
onto a winner here!

David
June 15, 2005 3:12:10 PM

"David Zou" <xzous@noreply.com> wrote in message
news:D 8mb6o$a1i$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...
> Hi:
>
> I am going to the U2 Vertigo tour in London...Does any one know is a
> camera allowed? I guess DV is generally prohibited but I am thinkg of
> bringing along my DSLR....

From the front of the ticket:
No cameras or recorders

I wouldn't risk taking a DV or DSLR in ... although we will be taking a
couple of disposable cameras.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:07:12 PM

>I wonder what they are going to do about camera/phone combos.

Until one of these has a sharp zoom lens, or can deliver the sort of
image quality that would infringe on the privileges of the photogs who
get the contract to shoot the gig,
nothing at all.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:55:34 PM

"They made me delete all
pictures while they supervised then the camera was taken away until
after
the gig."

Only a police officer or a citizen with a court order may seize your
property.
It sounds like it worked out for you. It wouldn't have worked out so
well for me -- if I was anything besides "reasonably free to walk away"
I'd have had the state police there. I definitely want to be charged
with a crime and arrested if my property is being seized. Anything
else would be either a crime against me, or else a violation of my
constitutional rights (depending on whether the person seizing my
property is a private citizen, or a peace officer).

Being asked to leave the venue is one thing, but being forced to
surrender your property is in a whole different category. There's
very little to distinguish a security guard asking you for your camera,
from a random person on the street "asking" you for your wallet, get
it?
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 10:49:45 PM

In article <se6dnX2-fINlVzPfRVn-tA@rogers.com>, spam@this.eh (Darrell)
wrote:

> You can be escorted out of the concert, they normally search people
> entering the venue. Your camera can be confiscated at that time.
Happened to me. I was surrounded by people with P&Ss but because I had a
dSLR, security waded over and marched me out. They made me delete all
pictures while they supervised then the camera was taken away until after
the gig. They said they'd been told to let P&Ss in but anything that
'looked pro' was to be confiscated.

On the plus side, they wer every curteous and explained it all clearly.
Once home, I was able to unerase all the pictures quite nicely :-)

Iain
June 17, 2005 3:47:00 AM

James Of Tucson wrote:
>>Oh, yeah, that's what I'm going to do... leave $3K of camera gear with a
>>hat check person. Absolutely stellar idea! Not!
>

> Hat check person? At a stadium rock show? What century are you living
> in?

The same century that Steely Dan lives in, or did. IMO, that was the
last concert series that was worth the price of attendance. It was on
the EDS complex in Dallas, a summer concert series called Starfest back
in the early 80s. You could pack in whatever you wanted for the entire
evening on a cool summer hillside amphitheater under the stars. My lady
friend and I used a wagon for transporting a cooler full of beer, wine,
cheese, crackers, chips, fruit, also two folding concert chairs, a
blanket, *and* all our photo gear - the wagon morphed into a little
table for ourselves and neighbors just behind the orchestra pit. And
yes, they had a hat check person just inside the main entrance gate.

Sadly, I've attended the contemptible replacement called Starplex
relocated to that no-breeze boiler-bowl at Fair Park where bringing
anything except a bucket of money for the sponsors is not allowed. The
good news is I only wasted one ticket.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

On 14 Jun 2005 11:42:42 -0700, "James Of Tucson"
<james0tucson@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Oh, yeah, that's what I'm going to do... leave $3K of camera gear with a
>>hat check person. Absolutely stellar idea! Not!
>
>Hat check person? At a stadium rock show? What century are you living
>in?

Since he said person instead of girl, I'd guess 1960 to 1980,
when they all died.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 6:25:39 AM

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:49:45 +0000, Iain Laskey wrote:

> In article <se6dnX2-fINlVzPfRVn-tA@rogers.com>, spam@this.eh (Darrell)
> wrote:
>
>> You can be escorted out of the concert, they normally search people
>> entering the venue. Your camera can be confiscated at that time.
> Happened to me. I was surrounded by people with P&Ss but because I had a
> dSLR, security waded over and marched me out. They made me delete all
> pictures while they supervised then the camera was taken away until after
> the gig. They said they'd been told to let P&Ss in but anything that
> 'looked pro' was to be confiscated.

That seems to be a common distinction. Unfortunately, it's impossible to
work out what 'looks pro' actually means; a black body? screw-on lenses? a
lens diameter of >x mm? a lens that pokes out more than y mm? Owner
using a camera bag? I'd suspect the first definition, but I'm not
confident enough to try taking an Oly C-750 on the grounds it might
transgress some other definition of 'pro'.

> On the plus side, they wer every curteous and explained it all clearly.
> Once home, I was able to unerase all the pictures quite nicely :-)

Sneaky! ;-)

> Iain

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?

On 16 Jun 2005 13:55:34 -0700, "James Of Tucson"
<james0tucson@gmail.com> wrote:

>"They made me delete all
>pictures while they supervised then the camera was taken away until
>after
>the gig."
>
>Only a police officer or a citizen with a court order may seize your
>property.

In this case, the property wasn't "seized".
It was given up voluntarily, as a condition of entering the venue.
The person had the very real opportunity to refuse to give the camera
up (with, of course, the consequence of not being able to enter the
venue). When property is seized, not such opportunity exists.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

In article <n456b150ot7kigkuk0r731cproj2r6tebh@4ax.com>, BigBill@there.com
(Bill Funk) wrote:
> In this case, the property wasn't "seized".
> It was given up voluntarily, as a condition of entering the venue.
> The person had the very real opportunity to refuse to give the camera
> up (with, of course, the consequence of not being able to enter the
> venue). When property is seized, not such opportunity exists.
Exactly correct.

Iain
!