Athlon II x4 640 3.0Ghz
4GB DDR3 1333Mhz
GS600 Power Supply
XFX Ati Radeon HD6770 1GB GDDR5
N68C-VS3 UCC ASRock motherboard
Samsung HD322GJ 320GB 7200RPM SpinPoint 4
19' Benq LCD Monitor
Casing (old casing)

If I add an SSD Intel 40GB 320 Series as my main hdd (windows and boot), is my pc getting better/fast? I found this is very cheap SSD.

Can you tell how much different (% or performance) from both drive (the SSD and my HDD). Take a look at the video below, that was my old spec (with GT 430, Gigabyte GA0G41M-ES3L mobo, dual core e5700 3.0Ghz, 2.5GB DDR2 ram). It booted very fast below 20sec. But when I upgraded my hardware like above (the quad core), it boot so slow, around 40sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o8bFEilCZ0

Is it worth getting the Intel 320 Series 40GB just for Windows/boot? I want my pc boot up as fast as my old specs.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about intel series 40gb
  1. Best answer
    A 40 GB SSD is awfully small for a Windows 7 installation. Look at your current OS partition - if you have it partitioned separately? How big is it? My SSD OS partition is 50 GB and I do not have _any_ games installed at the moment.

If you can actually pack your OS into 40 GB, then go for it. The change in response, even with a mid-line SSD, will be amazing. But with a 40 GB device, you might consider an Intel board that can use the SSD for caching.

Have you read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-review-benchmark,3139.html ? They tag drives that small as "boot drives," with the OS installed on the drive but your programs installed on another drive.
  2. ok so you'd shave 20 seconds off your boot time; how many times a day do you boot your system?

if less than 100, save for a bigger drive.
  3. If you're running W7 32bit - you'll be fine with a 40GB drive. The 32bit installation only takes up about ~10GB. Should leave you room for another program suite or two (Office, etc)

If you're running W7 64bit - it's going to be very cramped even after you shave off some space. I wouldn't recommend using a 40GB drive for this, and this would limit you to 4GB of RAM total, etc.
  4. 40GB is fine for an operating system drive if it's just for the operating system. :)

A lot of people have the actual OS on the SSD and then direct all of their games and programs to a larger hard drive. Depends what you use your PC for really!

I'm under the impression that the 320 series is the budget series? Might wanna go for something a bit higher if speed is of the essence... Like previously mentioned.. this would shave a few seconds off boot time but not a dramatic increase in pc performance :)

Hope this helps
  5. Quote:
    40GB is fine for an operating system drive if it's just for the operating system. :)

As I said before, 40GB will only work well for a 32 bit installation. If you *really* tried you might be able to squeeze a 64bit installation onto it, but the problem is that every program still creates a folder in the C:/Program Files directory (especially iTunes - it stores your library on the C: drive).

Quote:
    I'm under the impression that the 320 series is the budget series? Might wanna go for something a bit higher if speed is of the essence... Like previously mentioned.. this would shave a few seconds off boot time but not a dramatic increase in pc performance :)

There's nothing really wrong with the 320 series. It's quite fast and extremely reliable, and is pretty good on price as well.
  6. Best answer selected by maxson.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt SSD Intel Systems Product