Sign in with
Your question

BSOD in dual-mon setup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2012 7:38:29 PM

Hello,

I'm having this really weird problem and I don't know how to fix it.

I've been running a dualmon setup with two 19" 4:3 Samsungs for a year now, just replaced one of them with a 16:9 Samsung S23A350h, and I've been having bsods since. I've managed to read, while in "blue screen mode" that the video scheduler has crashed. My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD4870.

What I've done so far is installed the most recent display drivers, and disabled an application called UltraMon that handled some dualmon settings.

As far as I can tell, the BSOD only happens when I have flash-based applications opened (i only had BSODs while having youtube or teevox.com opened). The video stream freezes and turns to green and if I don't close the browser window fast enough, the BSOD happens. Otherwise, it just shows the "display driver has stopped working" baloon, but if I open a youtube window it crashes.

That's all the input I can give so far, I would be happy to provide log-based feedback or something like that but don't know what programs to use to get that data. I'm pretty clueless and the advices i've found by googleing are pretty vague (make sure you're up to date with drivers, clean windows install, etc).

Sorry for the long read, just wanted to describe the problem as best as I can, I'd really appreciate some help. Thank you for your time!

More about : bsod dual mon setup

January 25, 2012 7:42:21 PM

PS. I don't have anything overclocked, all the components are running with their default settings
January 25, 2012 7:53:56 PM

What are your full specs?
Check your temperatures under some kind of load. For the CPU, run Prime95 and HWMonitor or Speedfan at the same time. For the GPU, get FurMark.
Related resources
January 25, 2012 8:04:43 PM

full specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16 GHz
ATI Radeon HD4870
4 GB RAM OCZ
Gigabyte EP43-DS3L
(Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit)

in FurMark, should i run the 15 min benchmark (burn-in benchmark 1920x1080) or run the BURN-IN test?
January 25, 2012 9:05:42 PM

103 is too high, and even if the graphics card itself isn't causing the problem, it may be heating up other parts of your system to the point of shutdown.

How about the CPU under Prime95?
January 25, 2012 9:10:07 PM

the CPU peaked at 97 C under prime95. regarding the temperature, it has been in the 90-95 C area for a long time, when I picked up the card 3 years ago there were threads about this card having high temperatures and I kinda left it like that. I'm not sure it's a heating issue (but I'm no expert by any means) because I have this system (unmodified) for 3.5 years and had no hardware issues whatsoever.

I got this monitor on monday and have been having problems since.
January 25, 2012 9:13:00 PM

could it be that the card has problems supporting two different resolutions (1920x1080 and 1280x1024), or could flash cause hardware issues, or are these just dumb assumptions on my behalf?
January 25, 2012 9:20:06 PM

It could possibly be a flash issue.
The card should be able to handle two different resolutions.
This is mysterious.
Mess around in your multi-monitor settings a bit. Try things like putting them on the same resolution and seeing if you can reproduce the problem. xkcd.com/627.
March 8, 2012 4:49:15 PM

I am having the exact same issue. I also have dual monitors, one is 1400 x 900 and the other is 1920 x 1200. If I watch anything on Teevox.com for two long the screen goes green and I get and error message saying the graphics driver has recovered from a crash. I hit F5 to start the stream again and a few minutes later the computer BSOD's with the video scheduler. Both my GFX card and CPU temps are in th 40 Celsius range so not running hot. Would love to know why flash is causing this!
March 8, 2012 4:52:25 PM

hey brimur, sorry to hear that you're having the same problem. after the latest flash update the BSODs have reduced greatly in numbers for me: the flash issue still happens from time to time, flash-based applications (youtube and such) crash and display a green color and then it says that the display driver has stopped working. usually if i close the browser windows fast enough, and not open flash-based content or videos again I can avoid the BSODs, and just restart manually after I save my work, but it's still annoying.
!