In What Order Would You Start Buying Lens, starting fresh...

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 14, 2005 12:47:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

All,

I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning on
purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a Canon
580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to experiment with
prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was thinking of getting the
Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...

Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens, just
the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I realistically won't
have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a while won't be able
to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I might spring for the Canon
70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).

Example
1. decent walk around lens.
2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
3. Telephoto Zoom
etc..

Thanks for the advice in advance...

-Bryan
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:47:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I'd look first for a 28-140 (equiv.) or 35-105 (equiv) zoom lens. VERY
useful - in my experience - especially that 28-140 one. Not too bulky,
either.

Save on gas! Shop the http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:47:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:47:13 -0400, "Bryan Fenstermacher"
<bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote:

>All,
>
>I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning on
>purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a Canon
>580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to experiment with
>prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was thinking of getting the
>Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...
>
>Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
>acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
>what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens, just
>the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I realistically won't
>have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a while won't be able
>to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I might spring for the Canon
>70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).

Here are the first four Canon lenses I got for my 20D.

50mm F1.4 (not as useful as hoped with the 1.6 sensor)
85mm F1.8 (very useful)
17-40 F4.0L (most used lens, I have of these)
70-200 F4.0L

then I got a 24-70 F2.3L (most used of all lenses)

Planning to get a 135mm F2.0L and a 35mm F1.4 (more like a true 50 on
the 1.6 sensor).

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Related resources
June 14, 2005 12:47:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Even though I use Pentax ...
1. Something in the range of 20mm for walk-around. Maybe a compact
17-35-range zoom.
2. For digital, more like 40mm.
3. 80-200/2.8. Tokina probably the best value, but hefty. Otherwise
something IS for Canon lovers.

Collin
June 14, 2005 12:47:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Fenstermacher"?
I went to college in Omaha in the 70s with a Fenstermacher gal.

Collin
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:02:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I should also add, that my first lens will be a 17-85 lens. Specifically
the Canon 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM because it seems to be a decent lens and it's
cheaper when included with the 20D kit.

"Bryan Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
message news:w-qdnR0xub3WTDPfRVn-tw@speakeasy.net...
> All,
>
> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning
> on purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a
> Canon 580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to
> experiment with prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was
> thinking of getting the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...
>
> Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
> acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
> what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens,
> just the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I
> realistically won't have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a
> while won't be able to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I
> might spring for the Canon 70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).
>
> Example
> 1. decent walk around lens.
> 2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
> 3. Telephoto Zoom
> etc..
>
> Thanks for the advice in advance...
>
> -Bryan

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:26:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Hi Bryan!

I'm not a newbie nor a pro. When I buy the Canon 350D shortly, it will be my
7th camera in all, my third digital (Canon G1, Pro 1). I figure that the
17-85mm IS USM should be a great "all around" lens. It offers 28mm which is
good for wide angle photog. to 130mm, a reasonable 5x. This will allow me to
take many pics in different situations. I plan to take note of what I'm
missing and when.

When I was using my Pro 1 (a 7x -- 28 to 200mm), I found at times that I
might need a good telephoto. Contrary to general belief, the telephoto is a
very good lens for portrait photography. It can also be useful to take
photos of "ordinary life" when on a trip without being hindered. For
instance, when I was in Turkey and Greece recently, there were many
interesting situations in public places (markets, vendors, etc.) which I
didn't have easy access to. My problem is that a good telephoto should offer
*max opening and a image stabilisation*. These cost a lot.

At this point in time, I feel I would want a macro lens before I buy a wide
angle. I used to do Underwater Photography and I loved the "small bugs and
corals". However, as I said before, it's the use which will determine what I
buy.

Cheers,

Marcel

"Bryan Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
message news:w-qdnR0xub3WTDPfRVn-tw@speakeasy.net...
> All,
>
> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning
on
> purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a
Canon
> 580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to experiment
with
> prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was thinking of getting
the
> Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...
>
> Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
> acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
> what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens,
just
> the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I realistically
won't
> have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a while won't be able
> to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I might spring for the
Canon
> 70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).
>
> Example
> 1. decent walk around lens.
> 2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
> 3. Telephoto Zoom
> etc..
>
> Thanks for the advice in advance...
>
> -Bryan

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:40:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Huh, interesting... there aren't a ton of us fenstermacher's around...
Although, some of the relationships are really distant. Most of my
Fenstermacher clan is mostly from Indiana and a bit from Ohio and PA...

I wasn't in college until the 90's... so I'm a young one.

-Bryan

"Cheesehead" <dplotusnotes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Fenstermacher"?
> I went to college in Omaha in the 70s with a Fenstermacher gal.
>
> Collin

June 14, 2005 2:45:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I think she may have been from PA.
(I live in Ohio right now.)

Collin
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:33:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Bryan Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
message news:w-qdnR0xub3WTDPfRVn-tw@speakeasy.net...
> All,
>
> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning
> on purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a
> Canon 580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to
> experiment with prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was
> thinking of getting the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...
>
> Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
> acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
> what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens,
> just the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I
> realistically won't have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a
> while won't be able to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I
> might spring for the Canon 70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).
>
> Example
> 1. decent walk around lens.
> 2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
> 3. Telephoto Zoom
> etc..

What you buy and in what order depends very much on what you are shooting.
I bought what little glass I have in order of need.

I very quickly grew to dislike the 18-55 that came with my 300D, so.... I
was in the need of a good walking around lens and bought the 28-135 IS USM.
This is now my primary lens and I found it has a perfect range for all
around shots. It's not L glass and the zoom portion is plastic but the lens
performs well enough. So well in fact that my wife steels it for her film
photog from time to time; so often anymore that I think I'm going to have to
buy another one.

A couple of months later, after being very disappointed with the 70-300 I
had and not that much more impressed with my wife's EF 75-300, I bought the
EF 100-400 L IS USM. I needed the zoom range for taking pics of my
daughters rowing events. I found the range of this lens perfect for getting
good shots of the girls in the boats as they rowed down river. I can zoom
in and get just a couple of them in frame or zoom out and catch the entire 8
in the frame. Very flexible and a good performer. It has a push pull zoom
but it didn't take long for me to get used to that.

Now that Crew season is over and my needs are changing once again and I'm
looking at new glass. Much of what I'm taking now are just family snaps
indoors so I think my next lens will be the 50 1.4 or 1.8. I'm leaning
towards the 1.8 first because I don't think I'll use the lens that much and
the 1.8 is cheap enough to see if my use will increase. If I like the 50mm
and find enough use for it I'll spring for the 1.4.

After that I want a good super wide zoom lens preferably L glass. Most
likely the EF 16-35 f2.8L USM or the 17-40 f4L USM.

After that I think I'll get the 70-200 f2.8L. It duplicates the range of my
other lenses but the speed is very desirable and there are time where the
100-400 is just too big.

In any event plan to spend lots of money because good glass isn't cheap.

Rob
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:00:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Bryan Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
message news:w-qdnR0xub3WTDPfRVn-tw@speakeasy.net...
> All,
>
> Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
> acquire a collection of lenses?

What will you be photographing? Will you need much lens speed or will
you be able to tripod the camera and take longer exposures? Are your
priorities versatility like zoom, or can you deal with a half-dozen primes
and narrow-range zooms?

Just some questions I'd nail down first, which I'm glad I asked myself
as I begin planning to purchase more lenses.

Dave
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:00:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Bryan Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
message news:w-qdnR0xub3WTDPfRVn-tw@speakeasy.net...
> All,
>
> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning
on
> purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a
Canon
> 580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to experiment
with
> prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was thinking of getting
the
> Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...
>
> Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
> acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
> what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens,
just
> the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I realistically
won't
> have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a while won't be able
> to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I might spring for the
Canon
> 70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).
>
> Example
> 1. decent walk around lens.
> 2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
> 3. Telephoto Zoom
> etc..

I've got in order of usage:

24-135 Tamron (it's my primary lens)
35 f/2 Canon
EF-S 10-22 Canon
50 f/1.8 Canon
70-200 f/4 Canon
100 Macro Canon

I should start using the Macro a lot more and I could probably get rid of
the 50 f/1.8 except that it doesn't take up much room in my camera bag and
it's lighter than the 35 f/2 which makes it nicer for mtn biking. I'm
finding that the 35mm f/2 has better coverage for the trails we ride,
though.

I'm thinking about picking up an 1.4x extender for the 70-200.

Greg
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:06:11 PM

Bryan Fenstermacher wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm
> planning on purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS
> USM lens and a Canon 580EX speedlight.

You may want to consider the 18-55 kit lens. It is a really far better
than you should expect for the price. Great day to day lens.

Do you really need IS on a 17-85 lens?

Of course the answers to those questions and really based on many many
factors including how deep your pockets are and what kind of photography you
do or more important will do.

I suggest that you start with just one lens, either the IS you suggested
or the kit lens I suggested is a good start. Then start taking pictures.
Be sure to take photos of all the things that you figure you will be taking
in the future. For example, if you take pictures of buildings exterior and
interior on trips, but won't be going on a trip for a while, take some
photos around town. Get the feel for where your lens is limiting you from
what you want to do and then address that with your next purchase(s).

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 7:02:22 PM

Joseph Meehan wrote:
> Bryan Fenstermacher wrote:
>
>>All,
>>
>>I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm
>>planning on purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS
>>USM lens and a Canon 580EX speedlight.
>

> You may want to consider the 18-55 kit lens. It is a really far
better
> than you should expect for the price. Great day to day lens.
>
> Do you really need IS on a 17-85 lens?

I agree. The 18-55 kit lens is pretty good, and IS isn't all that
necessary on the 17-85. OTOH, I've wished I had the 75-300 IS instead of
my old 100-300 USM.

A wide angle lens is also essential, i.e. the 10-22 EF-s, an excellent
lens, though kind of pricey for non-L build quality.
June 14, 2005 8:07:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Bryan Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
message news:w-qdnR0xub3WTDPfRVn-tw@speakeasy.net...
> All,
>
> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning
> on purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a
> Canon 580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to
> experiment with prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was
> thinking of getting the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...
>
> Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
> acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
> what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens,
> just the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I
> realistically won't have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a
> while won't be able to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I
> might spring for the Canon 70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).
>
> Example
> 1. decent walk around lens.
> 2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
> 3. Telephoto Zoom
> etc..
>
> Thanks for the advice in advance...
>
> -Bryan

It ALL depends on what you want to do! For instance, if you want to take
photos of your prize winning coin collection, you'd be very disappointed
with a general purpose lens or a 50mm prime or a telephoto. First, think
about what you'd probably want to photograph the most (most often, that is)
and buy an appropriate lens for that. Then, what else would you like to do
and prioritize the list.

Here are a few SUGGESTED strategies for you (you know where you live so you
know if some of these aren't possible):
1) Buy a wide-range, general purpose lens (such as the 18-200) with an eye
toward using it to figure out where its shortfalls are and plan to dump it
once you know (or relegate it to a general purpose lens)
2) Rent the lenses that interest you for a weekend (pros don't usually need
them on weekends)...if you are in a major metropolitan area this might be a
choice...maybe you can get the camera store to apply some of your rental
fees towards future purchases
3) Make a plan (such as "I really want to do portraits") and use that as
your starting point

Good luck
George
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:07:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:07:36 -0400, "george" <nowhere@newsonly.com>
wrote:

snipped

>Here are a few SUGGESTED strategies for you (you know where you live so you
>know if some of these aren't possible):
>1) Buy a wide-range, general purpose lens (such as the 18-200) with an eye
>toward using it to figure out where its shortfalls are and plan to dump it
>once you know (or relegate it to a general purpose lens)
>2) Rent the lenses that interest you for a weekend (pros don't usually need
>them on weekends)...

Oh? Pro's don't work on weekend?

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 10:36:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning
on
> purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a
Canon
> 580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to experiment
with
> prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was thinking of getting
the
> Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...

The 17-85 is slow. If you have the cash get the 24-70mm f2.8 L series lens.
The extra speed and image quality will outweigh any advantage the IS has on
an f4-5.6 lens.

For a wide angle look at the 17-40mm f4 L and the 16-35 f2.8L. Buy the
fatser one if you have the money.

Then consider telephoto. The 135mm f2.0 L and a 1.4x extender will give you
two fast telephotos. The 70 -200mm (in one of it's guises) will give you a
splendid zoom range on the 20D. I have the f2.8 L (non IS), it's very very
good. I also have a 1.4x extender, very useful and does not seem to degrade
the image quality.

You may notice that I have spent a lot of your money. Don't fret, if you
want to do justice to your 20D you will need an L series lens and once
you've tried one L lens - nothing else will do. But be assured that they
sell for 85 to 90% of their new price if you end up not using one of them
(in excellent condition with their original box).

John
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:14:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

17-85 is equivalent to 28-130, so that is a very usable range of
lengths as a walkaround. In my youth I lived with nothing but 35mm,
50mm, and 135mm and shot for my high school yearbook and newspaper as
photo editor. Only thing to improve upon what you have would be having
A) faster lens for available light shooting without the disturbance or
alteration of the light in the natural, 'un-flash' environment, and B)
having one 18-135, equivalent to 28-200 in 35mm land.

One suggestion some made was the 17-40 f/2.8 as your first lens. While
that gives you a faster lens as the first, it only covers 28-60mm,
which is like a slightly wider equivalent of 35-70mm zoom in 35mm land.
35-70 was on 'OK range' for me as my first purchase after I switched
to Olympus in my mid 20's. But I found it to be not quite wide enough
(as my needs for 24mm became stronger), and also not quite long enough.
So you should consider whether you lean toward wider end of range or
toward long end of range in most shots you take in your first lens
choice. I thougt about 17-40, but decided that it would require me to
change lenses too often, going from the short end of the range to the
needing a somewhat telephoto.

I ended up with the 17-85 IS USM and 70-200 f/4 L as my first lenses.
Here's why...

The problem with the 1.6 format used by all of the 'affordable' DSLRs
today is at the wide end of the range. I love 24mm in 35 format, but
getting equivalent 14-15mm for the 1.6 format is very expensive in
DSLR land...$500-800 street price whether it is a wide zoom or fixed
focal length! You can get telephoto at a much lower price, and some
very exceptional telephotos, as opposed to the lenses being designed
only to fit 1.5 format (which are useless on any FF camera, such as
film cameras you might still own, or when FF becomes affordable to
'Everyman' in the future.

--Wilt
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:34:48 PM

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 05:47, Bryan Fenstermacher wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm
> planning on purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM
> lens and a Canon
> 580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to experiment
> with
> prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was thinking of
> getting the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...
>
> Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would
> you
> acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low
> roar, what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific
> lens, just
> the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I realistically
> won't have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a while
> won't be able to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I might
> spring for the Canon 70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).
>
> Example
> 1. decent walk around lens.
> 2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
> 3. Telephoto Zoom
> etc..

What lenses you should get really depends on what you intend to mostly
take pictures of: For sports and wildlife, you'll need very long, fast
lenses; for scenics and travel, wide angles to moderate teles; for
portraits, medium wide angles to short teles.

I suggest to begin with you get the 18-55 Canon lens that comes with the
camera in the kit. Buy no other lenses. Shoot with it and only it for
about 6 months. By the end of time, you'll have a good idea what
additional focal lengths you'll need and which order they should be
purchased.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I'm in Ohio myself, Columbus to be exact.

>I think she may have been from PA.
> (I live in Ohio right now.)
>
> Collin

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 3:31:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Tripod will be available for some stuff, but for others I will have to be
able to hold it myself.

I will be doing a mix of street photography, snapshot and personal portrits,
etc. and then some sports stuff namely auto races, etc.

I like the idea of using at least one prime lens and getting used to that
style of shooting, and for the fact I can get an open f/ lens for not a ton
of cash. With big open/fast zooms the L series stuff is way pricey.

"David Geesaman" <dgeesamannospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 8n2g102a55@news3.newsguy.com...
> "Bryan Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
> message news:w-qdnR0xub3WTDPfRVn-tw@speakeasy.net...
>> All,
>>
>> Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would
>> you acquire a collection of lenses?
>
> What will you be photographing? Will you need much lens speed or will
> you be able to tripod the camera and take longer exposures? Are your
> priorities versatility like zoom, or can you deal with a half-dozen primes
> and narrow-range zooms?
>
> Just some questions I'd nail down first, which I'm glad I asked myself
> as I begin planning to purchase more lenses.
>
> Dave

June 15, 2005 3:39:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Bryan Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
message news:w-qdnR0xub3WTDPfRVn-tw@speakeasy.net...
> All,
>
> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning
on
> purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a
Canon
> 580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to experiment
with
> prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was thinking of getting
the
> Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...
>
> Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
> acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
> what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens,
just
> the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I realistically
won't
> have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a while won't be able
> to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I might spring for the
Canon
> 70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).
>
> Example
> 1. decent walk around lens.
> 2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
> 3. Telephoto Zoom
> etc..
>
> Thanks for the advice in advance...

What do you shoot mostly? I mean it makes a big difference if your usual
subject is landscapes, or portraits, or sports.

I like to go to extremes, years ago when I had an old Nikon F, I shot most
all of my images with either a 20mm or a 200mm. Both have a visual capture
that is outside the normal human experience. I liked superwides so much
that I bought a fisheye for my medium format system, and then when I went
digital, I bought a full frame chip so I could use a super wide again.

I believe they make a DX lens designed for the smaller sensor with a medium
wide to short tele and that should cover your shooting nicely for vacation,
weddings, walking around.

Me, the first two lenses I got were the 17-35mm and the 80-200, then I got a
28-75. the wide is my walking around lens.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:32:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Bryan Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
message news:w-qdnR0xub3WTDPfRVn-tw@speakeasy.net...
> All,

> Example
> 1. decent walk around lens.
> 2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
> 3. Telephoto Zoom
> etc..
I'm a film guy, so divide the figures I mention by 1.6 to get your Canon
digital equivalent focal lengths.
28-80 (digital: 18-50) makes a great general purpose lens - wide enough for
most things at it's wide end, with enough telephoto to be a great portrait
lens. This is the lens that you would stick on the camera if you want
versatility without bulk.
100-300 (digital: 70-200, maybe even go to 300). This is the most zoom you
can comfortably hand-hold, and while you won't use it nearly as much as the
28-80 it is handy for those times when you want to get in close for wildlife
or sports.
Fast prime in the 70-90 range: (digital: 50/1.4 is great here). Great
Portrait lens for ambient light.
24mm or wider prime (digital: 16 or less). Buildings, landscapes etc.
With all lenses, the faster it is, the more versatile it is, but it is also
heavier and more expensive.

> Thanks for the advice in advance...
>
> -Bryan

June 15, 2005 11:43:47 AM

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:o qeua1deulfv6ode3e5ta4vsrk9fkt94ak@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:07:36 -0400, "george" <nowhere@newsonly.com>
> wrote:
>
> snipped
>>2) Rent the lenses that interest you for a weekend (pros don't usually
>>need
>>them on weekends)...
>
> Oh? Pro's don't work on weekend?
>
> snipped
>
> -James Nachtwey-
> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Re-read please and take note of the word "usually". Of course wedding
photographers MOSTLY work on weekends but they also tend to own what they
need as it seldom changes. Photographers doing commercial product
photography are the most frequent renters and they mostly work M-F when
their clients are available to interface with (there aren't too many
advertising emergencies). Because of this, there tends to be less
competition to rent stuff on weekends so many rental sources will rent for
the weekend for the the price of one weekday (or other special pricing). It
is also easier (if not cheaper) for an amateur to rent studio space on a
weekend for the same reasons.

George
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:32:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On 15 Jun 2005 07:28:28 -0700, "UC" <uraniumcommittee@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Annie Leibovitz? Are you kidding me? She's total trash. A talentless
>hack.
The only trash here appears to be in you mind.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:34:27 PM

"Bryan Fenstermacher" wrote:

> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this
> week. I'm planning on purchasing a Canon 20D
> camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a
> Canon 580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear
> I would like to experiment with prime lenses, and
> something with a low stop. I was thinking of getting
> the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...

It's a very personal thing, different with each photographer. Some love a
50mm lens while others absolutely hate it. Therefore, I'd suggest sticking
to the flexible zoom lens alone until you have a better idea of the focal
lengths you'll actually use most often. It may take several dozen
(satisfying) pictures before you truly discover your own photography
tendencies and tastes. At that point, you can spring for a few fixed focal
length lenses to match that (or any specific needs you discover along the
way).

Stewart
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:25:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Bryan Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
message news:w-qdnR0xub3WTDPfRVn-tw@speakeasy.net...
> All,
>
> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning
> on purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a
> Canon 580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to
> experiment with prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was
> thinking of getting the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...
>
> Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
> acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
> what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens,
> just the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I
> realistically won't have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a
> while won't be able to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I
> might spring for the Canon 70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).
>
> Example
> 1. decent walk around lens.
> 2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
> 3. Telephoto Zoom
> etc..
>
> Thanks for the advice in advance...
>
> -Bryan

I went for the 18-55 kit lens which is quite sharp.

Then the 100mm f2.8 macro. A very nice lens, sharp, good value and probably
my most used, not just for macro but for general walk around. (Odd as my fav
35mm film lens was (FD) 85mm f1.8 so I expected to find the same with the
50mm on the 20D but it is not so.)

Following that 50mm f1.4 (very sharp but does not have the same feel as
85mm on full frame), and 200mm f.2.8L mk II.

I have my hopes set on 20mm f.28 and the 10-22mm zoom if some share options
come through - but I think my wife would rather have a new kitchen.....

That would probably be the standard bag for now though I have hanckering for
some long glass, MP-E 65mm, 180mm Macro, macro flash, perhaps a T&S lens. Ho
hum.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:28:50 PM

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> looking at new glass. Much of what I'm taking now are just family snaps
> indoors so I think my next lens will be the 50 1.4 or 1.8. I'm leaning
> towards the 1.8 first because I don't think I'll use the lens that much
> and the 1.8 is cheap enough to see if my use will increase. If I like the
> 50mm and find enough use for it I'll spring for the 1.4.
>
> After that I want a good super wide zoom lens preferably L glass. Most
> likely the EF 16-35 f2.8L USM or the 17-40 f4L USM.
>
> After that I think I'll get the 70-200 f2.8L. It duplicates the range of
> my other lenses but the speed is very desirable and there are time where
> the 100-400 is just too big.
>
> In any event plan to spend lots of money because good glass isn't cheap.
>
> Rob

"I bought the EF 100-400 L IS USM. I needed the zoom range for taking pics

I can almost hear you explaining how essential this was to your wife! Good
excuse!

My son is into basketball - hmmm I wonder.....
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:28:51 PM

"Lester Wareham" <nospam@please.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "I bought the EF 100-400 L IS USM. I needed the zoom range for taking
> pics of my
> daughters rowing events."
>
> I can almost hear you explaining how essential this was to your wife! Good
> excuse!
>
> My son is into basketball - hmmm I wonder.....

LOL, there was no explanation necessary; it just showed up one day. Besides
the wife shoots film and has two EOS camera's so she get use from the lens
as well.

Basket ball will require the speed of the 70-200 f2.8L w/ IS of course. Oh
and you may as well add the 580ex flash as well. That's only about $2100.00
from B&H. Go for it!!! ;-)

--

Rob
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Consider Sigma 18-50/2.8 EX. It is cheap, bright, good built, compact and
very good optically.

Andrey.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:05:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:05:04 +0300, AndreyG <andrey-g@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Consider Sigma 18-50/2.8 EX. It is cheap, bright, good built, compact and
> very good optically.

It's also relatively small and light, being built to project a
small image circle for a cropped sensor.

My copy of this lens has a yellow cast. At the wide end, the lens
hood causes notable vignetting. With those caveats, I like it a
lot, and have been using it almost to the exclusion of anything
else since I bought it five weeks ago.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall