D2700DC Drivers

G

Since previous thread was prematurely closed, here is another one to discuss.

Quote from Intel rep:

Well, I only saw this after buying the board. I am retuning it first thing tomorrow morning. I would encourage everybody to return these boards because we are clearly not getting what we paid for.

In any case, if you are looking, don't get suckered into buying this. Why? Well here is a quick list:

o There are no Windows XP drivers
o Only some 64bit drivers are available
o All existing 64bit drivers will be removed.
o Intel will remove support for developing ANY 64bit drivers for this platform
o You'd think this is a 64 bit CPU, but no, we won't give you drivers to run 64bit OS.
o Up to 4Gb ram, but no, actually you can't use up to 4 Gb ram (since OS is 32 bit).

As a replacement, I'm looking at E45M1-I. Awesome little board, slick drivers across the board, stellar 3D performance and lots of sata ports!

all this tell you is technology is moving ahead even if you don't want it too. all CPU's now are 64-bit. ram is cheap so anyone building a computer will be getting at least 4-8GB of ram. if you speak to the majority of system builders now they will tell you that you would be crazy to go with a 32-bit OS now especially since both versions of windows 7 are the same price. i am not going to even comment on why anyone would stick with a 10+ year old OS like windows XP on a modern computer.

G

Hi Captain,

Thanks for commenting on my rant. Not that anyone cares [TM].

all this tell you is technology is moving ahead even if you don't want it too.

Oh, but I do!

all CPU's now are 64-bit. ram is cheap so anyone building a computer will be getting at least 4-8GB of ram.

Right, that's been true for some years. Point being?

if you speak to the majority of system builders now they will tell you that you would be crazy to go with a 32-bit OS now especially since both versions of windows 7 are the same price.

Assuming that you've spoken to the majority of them, I'd say system builders should avoid making brash assumptions about what other people's needs are. There are circumstances and circumstances.

That being said, your point is exactly the reason for my rant. I don't care if somebody wants to run 32 bit OS. I want to run a 64bit OS on a 64bit CPU, on a a board which was advertised as supporting 64bit OS. Now the materials have been changed to reflect Intel's decision not to support 64bit OS, which really pissed me off.

i am not going to even comment on why anyone would stick with a 10+ year old OS like windows XP on a modern computer.

Well, we don't know, do we. Maybe they don't want to pay Microsoft again? Maybe they have a piece of hardware in an industrial setting that only has drivers for XP? Who knows.