Sign in with
Your question

550 ti with a dual core

Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2012 10:22:51 AM

can a 550 ti be used with a dual core 5300?
if yes, how Will be the performance?

More about : 550 dual core

a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 1:31:12 PM

Can be used fine. Depending on how fast the chip is though, it might bottleneck the 550ti(though the 550 is not a high end card). But bottleneck means the card may actually feed the processor information faster than the processor can read it, and you may get stuttering and lag in games.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 1:36:20 PM

List which dual core it is.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 1:49:57 PM

Yes that may help. I know when I had an Athlon x2 5400+ at 2.8 ghz, it actually bottlenecked my GTS 450, which is a little lower card than a 550ti.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 3:10:33 PM

Quote:
I have an i3-2120 with a N550GTX-Ti Cyclone in one of my units.
it's quite a multi-purpose unit capable of some gaming...

Yeah, the sb i3's are beasts of dual cores. Who knows he could be rocking a Pentium D.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 3:24:19 PM

Until recently, I was using the E6700 in my system, which is quite a bit faster than the E5300. In pretty much every game I played, the CPU was the bottleneck (paired with an HD 6950).

You're long overdue for a CPU upgrade. There are limited options for the LGA 775 chipset. Second hand quad cores tend to be very expensive for such old chips, around $100-$150. If you can snag on of the 32xx Xeons, however, they tend to be quite a bit cheaper because people don't know to look for them.

The clock speeds on these Xeons is much lower than a standard consumer chip, but they overclock very well. I've got a 2.13 GHz X3210 running at 3.4 GHz on air. Paid $65 for it, and at this OC it quite a bit faster than the Q6600 which sells for $100.
April 2, 2012 4:28:32 PM

no, actually i ll be buying a phenom 960t in may so... i was thinking abt using my current processor with what i can afford for the time being... in may i ll get new ram board n processor
April 2, 2012 4:46:21 PM

that ll be outta budget... i hve a strict budget
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 5:50:22 PM

Don't get a 960T, get a i3-2120 or i5-2400.

The i3 will beat out any of those X4/X6's in gaming.

Ivy Bridge will be out soon too on the same s1155 platform.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 6:10:18 PM

geekapproved said:
Don't get a 960T, get a i3-2120 or i5-2400.

The i3 will beat out any of those X4/X6's in gaming.

Ivy Bridge will be out soon too on the same s1155 platform.

You and that Intel fanboy crap again. You're wrong, and its seriously getting old. But yes, a thuban is not the way to go for a gaming rig, but no the i3, i5 is not substantially better than a Deneb for gaming.. A Dual core i3 for sure doesn't stand a chance against a quad core in a game like battlefield 3 that actually uses more than 2 cores.

As far as the difference between mine and Max's video cards, the GTX 460 is as good if not better than my 550ti.

Cinebench Results

My computer Phenom II 975 @4.0 w/ 550 TI factory oc'd
CPU score- 4.59
Open GL- 45.36FPS

My Significant other-
i5-2300 @ 2.8GHZ w/ GTX 460
CPU4.56
Open GL- 42.81FPS

i5-2300 costs $180 Phenom II 975 currently $140
April 2, 2012 6:32:41 PM

yeah so i guess the 550ti will be alright for the time being.... will the dual core do any damage to my 550ti ?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 6:33:49 PM

Damage? No. Just make sure that you have an adequate power supply.
April 2, 2012 6:56:51 PM

450w would be okay ?
April 2, 2012 7:04:19 PM

yeah okay... so cool ! thnx everyone !
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 7:37:11 PM

Quote:
You and that Intel fanboy crap again. You're wrong, and its seriously getting old.

So is ignoring the truth.

Quote:
My computer Phenom II 975 @4.0 w/ 550 TI factory oc'd
CPU score- 4.59
Open GL- 45.36FPS

My Significant other-
i5-2300 @ 2.8GHZ w/ GTX 460
CPU4.56
Open GL- 42.81FPS

First, seeing as the scores you posted are almost identical that you just showed it takes an AMD QUAD CORE clocked over a GHz higher to equal/slightly best a DUAL CORE chip with HT? Four real cores clocked 1.2GHz higher should have smashed that dual core w/HT. If AMD was half the company you think it is those scores would be vastly different.

Second, I'm assuming the OP is talking about gaming with this rig. What does Toms say about this?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Looking at a stock 2100 in SCII, the 2100 can beat OC'd FX chips in Avg frame rates (8120 does tie/win), and beat ALL of the PhII x4/x6 chips. The 955 at 4GHz does basically tie the 2100. Just Cause 2 is the best case for AMD CPUs, but again it takes 4GHz OC's on quad or better cores just to do what Intel can do with 2. BF3 didn't show anything other then all the CPUs could run it the same other then the A4.

If you are building a gaming machine on a budget, just get the 2100/2120.

Quote:
450w would be okay ?

I'm going to disagree here a bit. The 550TI does need a PCIe power plug. I've seen a lot of "450W" PSUs in my day and not all of them I'd trust to power a card that needs a plug. If you have a good 450W PSU you'll be fine but if you have one that came with a case or you need to use an adapter to power the card that's your clue to grab a new PSU as well.
April 2, 2012 8:18:14 PM

4745454b said:
Quote:
You and that Intel fanboy crap again. You're wrong, and its seriously getting old.

So is ignoring the truth.

Hardly.

The Phenom II is not an FX, its a completely different design, so lets not even bring those up. I'll ignore any mention to that, not because its the truth, but because its completely irrelevant.

Quote:

First, seeing as the scores you posted are almost identical that you just showed it takes an AMD QUAD CORE clocked over a GHz higher to equal/slightly best a DUAL CORE chip with HT?

An i5-2300 is a QUAD CORE w/ 4 physical cores, unless I'm wrong? . Sandy Bridge is new technology. Phenom II uses older technology, and yet its on-par with a more expensive Sandy Bridge. THATS MY POINT. sorry you missed it. Who cares what the clock rate difference is? Seriously? My point was a price vs performance comparison. 140 dollar chip vs 180 dollar chip. Pay attention.

Quote:
Four real cores clocked 1.2GHz higher should have smashed that dual core w/HT. If AMD was half the company you think it is those scores would be vastly different.

Again, the i5-2300 is a quad core w/ 4 physical cores.

Quote:
Second, I'm assuming the OP is talking about gaming with this rig. What does Toms say about this?

http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 120-9.html

I don't really care what Tom says about it. And yes, I've read that article before in its entirety more than once. The difference is horseshoes and hand grenades across the board, if you actually look at the scores and compare current prices rather than skipping to the conclusion page.

Okay, so they're identical. I'll concede the point there.

----
I'm not going to go thru all these game benchmarks with you, all of them fall into the category of, the difference is impossible to detect with the human eye.
April 2, 2012 8:25:58 PM

Quote:
this is where you are incorrect....
I'm an AMD fan but the Deneb C3 being the better of the AMD chips still falls short in comparison to SB.
period..

My apologies, I was more directing at Geekapproved, because in other threads he has been completely rude and disrespectful to other forum members. (Yes, I admit I stooped on his level)

But... In response to your post.
Really? Well I just showed you a result where its completely on par with SB..... And its cheaper. So.... We're just going by your word that Deneb C3 is not as good?
April 2, 2012 8:38:01 PM

Quote:
I can relate and I have bumped heads with him in the past.
I run my AMD unit more than my Intel and I have them clocked the same often as I'm benching.
Intel wins the IPC battle, even with the Phenom II.
AND I LOVE MY AMD UNIT, but it's true.
now as the added price difference into the equation and yes, the AMD is a very viable / capable alternative.
in that regards I would say it IS that good.

And thats all I was trying to prove lol. Theres just too many people on this forum going around acting like AMD is an overpriced Ford Fiesta going up against a Ferrari. Too much focus on the numbers without proper appreciation of practical use. Especially when you get into trying to compare the quality of a game running at 75FPS vs 85FPS. The numbers say theres a difference, your brain can't.
April 2, 2012 8:42:15 PM

Quote:
one more thing.....
" If not keyboard is detected, then how can one press F1.."
;)  :lol: 

LOL, I've always wondered that myself. I changed my quote to that inspired by a thread from a gentleman I was helping with a computer problem. I don't know if computers still give that error message with no keyboard in it, but my old Dell 8200 would. I didn't know what a *facepalm* was, but I damn sure do now! :lol: 
April 2, 2012 8:58:41 PM

An E5300 on the 775 platform can work great with that card when overclocked to 3.6 they would be almost a perfect match my 5770 showed no additional frames after 3.6 GHZ when playing at 1080 P

If you are able to overclock your CPU then don't waste money on a new anything the 5300 with a good OC is enough for that card.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 9:03:16 PM

nekulturny said:
You and that Intel fanboy crap again. You're wrong, and its seriously getting old. But yes, a thuban is not the way to go for a gaming rig, but no the i3, i5 is not substantially better than a Deneb for gaming.. A Dual core i3 for sure doesn't stand a chance against a quad core in a game like battlefield 3 that actually uses more than 2 cores.

Not a chance huh?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=289

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...

Secondly I'm an AMD fan, sorry to burst your bubble.

April 2, 2012 9:07:42 PM

geekapproved said:
Really? Apparently you missed this article.

Secondly I'm an AMD fan, sorry to burst your bubble.

Show me an article where a i-5 2400 (currently priced at 190) is substantially better than a $140 975 Deneb. It was your claim, you back it up. Again, don't show me little pissy 10FPS differences, its absurd. Yes.. I have read that article.. again, MORE THAN ONCE http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Also, don't give me that tired old "well it uses more electricity" blah blah. The difference in my electric bill. I might end up paying more for to run the chip in 5-10 years *facepalm*

April 2, 2012 9:27:12 PM

spentshells said:
I like money

Me too. Thats why I spent $140 dollar CPU that will do everything a $190 one will do. :bounce: 
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 10:26:30 PM

Quote:
I might end up paying more for to run the chip in 5-10 years *facepalm*

I have no idea what you mean by that (facepalm to you), it doesn't even make any sense.

April 2, 2012 10:35:18 PM

Wait you're saying that the i5-2400 only uses 30watts? Try again, unless I misunderstood you.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review...

So based on this under load it is a 52.2 watt power difference. Which works out to at 10 cent per killowatt hour again, assuming I run my computer under load 24/7 for 365 days straight, I would pay 45.60 more a year. Lets be realistic, and say 8 hours a day. Even thats on the extreme. That works out to $15.20 a year.. So again, your claim is ridiculous. Realistically, you're probably looking at 5 dollars a year, at the worst.

http://www.bge.com/myaccount/billsrates/ratestariffs/el...

Now lets look at your other links: Again, just for reference, we're comparing a CPU priced at $190 on Newegg vs a CPU priced at $140

Cinebench- yup its higher, I expected it to be

7zip.. almost identical

Visual Studio 2010- 3 seconds faster. DAMMIT I should have spent that extra 50 bucks, I could have saved 3 seconds of my life! *sarcasm*

Metro 2033- HQ- 78 FPS vs 95... see below

Dirt3-- *smack* what did I tell you about showing me pissy 10FPS differences? movie theater quality is 24 frames per second. Frame rates in benchmarks are reference points. The human eye cannot tell the difference between 123.5 FPS and 166.6

Crysis Warhead- again 84.6 FPS is more than the human eye is capable of registering. Its also more than a typical LCD monitor can display, or your eye can even see. Again, you're putting too much focus on the numbers, and not enough on practicality.

Civilization 5: I hope you aren't basing your entire point on one game and my above argument still applies.

Seriously, your argument is absurd and stretches the limits of credulity when taken in to proper context.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, most of these benchmarks are produced in a "Demo" mode, and not actual gameplay.
April 2, 2012 10:37:18 PM

geekapproved said:
Quote:
I might end up paying more for to run the chip in 5-10 years *facepalm*

I have no idea what you mean by that (facepalm to you), it doesn't even make any sense.

then read my post above, and you'll get it. Before you start talking about power consumption being more expensive at least have an understanding of what that translates to in an electric bill.
April 2, 2012 11:29:18 PM

I also see that you went back and edited your post. I can see some details were removed..

BTW.. you missed something else Regarding your i3...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=289

Beat down? I don't think so. There is a minor unnoticeable difference in gaming with the i3 2100 but considering its 125 dollar from newegg, and the 980 is only a few dollars more and outperforms i3 in just about everything else, you tell me which makes more sense.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 2:46:29 AM

And I'll admit in my zeal I thought you had listed the 2100 and not the 2300.

My other point was that when gaming, you don't need to buy a $180 CPU from Intel to match gaming performance. The ~$125 2100/2120 will do just as well as anything AMD can muster. Even when OC'd.
April 3, 2012 2:49:06 AM

4745454b said:
And I'll admit in my zeal I thought you had listed the 2100 and not the 2300.

My other point was that when gaming, you don't need to buy a $180 CPU from Intel to match gaming performance. The ~$125 2100/2120 will do just as well as anything AMD can muster. Even when OC'd.

Lol, well I'm not gnawing at you currently. I figured thats what you assumed, no harm, no foul. Geekapproved edited his post, he tried to say the i5 only uses 30 watts (or maybe he meant to say 30 watts more).. I don't know.. either, way I have the actual math covered pretty well. . but hey.... I didn't copy the post, so I can't prove it.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 3:48:11 AM

Ahh the fanboys. I guess they keep life interesting.

For the record I am a fanboy of best value for the money. So for quite some time I've been a fan of AMD. My problem is they have fell so much in the CPU world that even some of the cheapest stuff from Intel is more then a match for whatever AMD has. At least in terms of gaming. I really hope they can get their CPU issues fixed.

Back to the OP, the 550TI is about the best card I'd pair with a e5300. And as mentioned I'd take a hard look at that 450W PSU.
April 3, 2012 9:24:23 AM

what will happen if that psu aint good enough ? how can it not be enough if its 450w ?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 10:17:29 AM

Worst case is the e5300 and 550TI will try to draw more power then the PSU can output from the 12V rail and it will start to output "dirty" power. This is power that has more spikes and valleys then the ATX specs allow. Eventually a spike could go through that is more power then it should be and your board, CPU, GPU, or anything attached will get fried from the power spike. This is what happens with the seriously bad PSUs.

Other PSUs might just shut down. You might also just have random blue screens, etc. No way to really know. I can think of the Antec 380W or the Corsair 430W PSUs that would be fine running these parts. And I can think of several 450W PSUs that will have trouble.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 1:52:31 PM

nekulturny said:
Lol, well I'm not gnawing at you currently. I figured thats what you assumed, no harm, no foul. Geekapproved edited his post, he tried to say the i5 only uses 30 watts (or maybe he meant to say 30 watts more).. I don't know.. either, way I have the actual math covered pretty well. . but hey.... I didn't copy the post, so I can't prove it.

Your a hopeless fanboy that just can't accept the facts. First of all we were talking about gaming, some reason your listing Cinebench, 7 zip, visual studio?? Wow you got way off topic.

I never said any such thing as a i5 uses 30w of power......... Once again your reading comprehension, or lack of, has gotten the better of you. I clearly said my i3-2100 uses 1/4 the power of your X4, that's when your X4 isn't overclocked.

Your power numbers are way off too, not to mention you forgot to include the cost of a cooling fan for your power hungry X4.
April 3, 2012 2:24:25 PM

its a 450w psu
its cheap as hell
costed about 15$ lol
April 3, 2012 3:02:18 PM

yeah i know..... bt my computer engineer said it has guarantee for 1 year... he pretty much forced me to buy it... n not corsair..
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 5:35:46 PM

divJ said:
yeah i know..... bt my computer engineer said it has guarantee for 1 year... he pretty much forced me to buy it... n not corsair..

Does the "guarantee" on your $15 psu cover the cost of your cpu, mobo, ram, video card and hd's if it meltsdown and takes out all your components? Because at $15 it's extremely inneficient, and probably has no circuit protections whatsoever.

That would be one heck of a warranty.
April 3, 2012 6:03:33 PM

i know... i told him that... he doesnt wanna listen... guess i gotta tell him to gtfo maybe... :/ 
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 6:07:09 PM

Yeah I gotta question anyone that calls themself a "computer engineer" and they are using $15 psu's on their clients computers.

The reason a lot of them do that, is because they want it to break, so you can call them back out, or take your computer back in for more hourly work.

If they sold you a psu with a 5-7yr warranty, they would never get any work out of you because it wouldn't break.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 6:07:11 PM

Just save yourself the hassle down the road and pick up a quality unit. The cx series from corsair are pretty cheap, as well as the earthwatts from Antec.
April 3, 2012 7:13:16 PM

i know... thats what i said to him.... but he said that it will surely work... maybe i gotta tell him to gtfo.... :/ 
April 3, 2012 7:26:08 PM

lol... maybe.... he cant even speak right now cz he s sick as anything... lol
maybe he s paying for suggesting me a wrong psu....
can u guys tell me about a gfx card ?
he also said that my gfx card which is 9400gt is not work as it had dust stuck on it with moisture... dust n moisture was stuck on the back side of it on those white metal dots.. what r they called?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 7:27:09 PM

He know's what he's doing, the guy is not an idiot. He makes his money by the hour.

I bet he doesn't run one of those psu's on his own rig.
April 3, 2012 7:34:54 PM

geekapproved said:
Your a hopeless fanboy that just can't accept the facts. First of all we were talking about gaming, some reason your listing Cinebench, 7 zip, visual studio?? Wow you got way off topic.

I never said any such thing as a i5 uses 30w of power......... Once again your reading comprehension, or lack of, has gotten the better of you. I clearly said my i3-2100 uses 1/4 the power of your X4, that's when your X4 isn't overclocked.

Your power numbers are way off too, not to mention you forgot to include the cost of a cooling fan for your power hungry X4.

I'm a hopeless fanboy? lol If my numbers on electricity consumption are wrong, then correct them. Or is that math too complicated for you? I have given you a link to my local electric companies rates. There are plenty of power consumption references online to use. Calculate it yourself.

I told you that the frame rates exceed the refresh rate of a typical computer monitor. Prove me wrong.

I got your number, you're just too proud to admit you're wrong. I can relate, humility comes hard to me. I'm not always right, but today I am. And you did mention something about 30 watts, you removed it from your post. You can pretend you didn't write it to everyone else on the forum, but you and I both know that you wrote it. I leave you to your own conscience on that.

And.. my CPU fan was 30 dollars. Still cheaper than an i5 2400.... You're grasping at straws. I say to you again, your i3 is virtually identical in gaming performance, but loses at just about everything else you could do on your computer from day to day. So for the sake of a well-balanced system, you tell me what makes more sense.

And quit telling people you're a fan of AMD, seriously. Thats about as ridiculous as Colonel Sanders marching with PETA. Every post you have made in this thread, and many others I have seen you have not only bashed every AMD product on the market, past and present, but I have seen you insult those who dare to question you.
April 3, 2012 8:00:53 PM

i dont understand none of ur geek jokes really... wow... guys answer my previous thread please..
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 8:12:09 PM

divJ said:
i know... thats what i said to him.... but he said that it will surely work... maybe i gotta tell him to gtfo.... :/ 

This "computer engineer" is probably just a technician who just likes to call himself an engineer. I am an actual computer engineer, with a bachelor's degree and everything, and I'm here to tell you a $15 PSU is the worst possible decision to make for your computer. Best you can hope for with a PSU that cheap is that when it dies, it doesn't take anything else with it.
April 3, 2012 8:14:58 PM

willard said:
This "computer engineer" is probably just a technician who just likes to call himself an engineer. I am an actual computer engineer, with a bachelor's degree and everything, and I'm here to tell you a $15 PSU is the worst possible decision to make for your computer. Best you can hope for with a PSU that cheap is that when it dies, it doesn't take anything else with it.

divj is from India. Its possible they have other terminology there for the same thing. (For example I had a friend in Russia years ago, he only needed a Bachelors degree to be considered a "psychologist"- at least thats what he told me, it could simply be lost in translation. I am familiar with divj's situation regarding his build, I helped him for several days in another thread he started.

Divj, use a quality power supply, we covered that I believe in your other thread. The concept of "you get what you pay for" is paramount.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 8:46:31 PM

nekulturny said:
divj is from India.

Ahh, hadn't caught that. I live in a city known for being very high tech (lots of DoD R&D happens here), and everyone and their dog call themselves computer engineers so they can exploit the lucrative tech support market. Having spent several years of my life, not to mention tens of thousands of dollars, to become an actual engineer, it's a bit of a pet peeve for me.
!