550 ti with a dual core

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Can be used fine. Depending on how fast the chip is though, it might bottleneck the 550ti(though the 550 is not a high end card). But bottleneck means the card may actually feed the processor information faster than the processor can read it, and you may get stuttering and lag in games.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I have an i3-2120 with a N550GTX-Ti Cyclone in one of my units.
it's quite a multi-purpose unit capable of some gaming...
Yeah, the sb i3's are beasts of dual cores. Who knows he could be rocking a Pentium D.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Until recently, I was using the E6700 in my system, which is quite a bit faster than the E5300. In pretty much every game I played, the CPU was the bottleneck (paired with an HD 6950).

You're long overdue for a CPU upgrade. There are limited options for the LGA 775 chipset. Second hand quad cores tend to be very expensive for such old chips, around $100-$150. If you can snag on of the 32xx Xeons, however, they tend to be quite a bit cheaper because people don't know to look for them.

The clock speeds on these Xeons is much lower than a standard consumer chip, but they overclock very well. I've got a 2.13 GHz X3210 running at 3.4 GHz on air. Paid $65 for it, and at this OC it quite a bit faster than the Q6600 which sells for $100.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
no, actually i ll be buying a phenom 960t in may so... i was thinking abt using my current processor with what i can afford for the time being... in may i ll get new ram board n processor

You and that Intel fanboy crap again. You're wrong, and its seriously getting old. But yes, a thuban is not the way to go for a gaming rig, but no the i3, i5 is not substantially better than a Deneb for gaming.. A Dual core i3 for sure doesn't stand a chance against a quad core in a game like battlefield 3 that actually uses more than 2 cores.

As far as the difference between mine and Max's video cards, the GTX 460 is as good if not better than my 550ti.

Cinebench Results

My computer Phenom II 975 @4.0 w/ 550 TI factory oc'd
CPU score- 4.59
Open GL- 45.36FPS

My Significant other-
i5-2300 @ 2.8GHZ w/ GTX 460
CPU4.56
Open GL- 42.81FPS

i5-2300 costs $180 Phenom II 975 currently $140

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
yeah so i guess the 550ti will be alright for the time being.... will the dual core do any damage to my 550ti ?

4745454b

Titan
You and that Intel fanboy crap again. You're wrong, and its seriously getting old.

So is ignoring the truth.

My computer Phenom II 975 @4.0 w/ 550 TI factory oc'd
CPU score- 4.59
Open GL- 45.36FPS

My Significant other-
i5-2300 @ 2.8GHZ w/ GTX 460
CPU4.56
Open GL- 42.81FPS

First, seeing as the scores you posted are almost identical that you just showed it takes an AMD QUAD CORE clocked over a GHz higher to equal/slightly best a DUAL CORE chip with HT? Four real cores clocked 1.2GHz higher should have smashed that dual core w/HT. If AMD was half the company you think it is those scores would be vastly different.

Second, I'm assuming the OP is talking about gaming with this rig. What does Toms say about this?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-9.html

Looking at a stock 2100 in SCII, the 2100 can beat OC'd FX chips in Avg frame rates (8120 does tie/win), and beat ALL of the PhII x4/x6 chips. The 955 at 4GHz does basically tie the 2100. Just Cause 2 is the best case for AMD CPUs, but again it takes 4GHz OC's on quad or better cores just to do what Intel can do with 2. BF3 didn't show anything other then all the CPUs could run it the same other then the A4.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-4.html

If you are building a gaming machine on a budget, just get the 2100/2120.

450w would be okay ?

I'm going to disagree here a bit. The 550TI does need a PCIe power plug. I've seen a lot of "450W" PSUs in my day and not all of them I'd trust to power a card that needs a plug. If you have a good 450W PSU you'll be fine but if you have one that came with a case or you need to use an adapter to power the card that's your clue to grab a new PSU as well.

Hardly.

The Phenom II is not an FX, its a completely different design, so lets not even bring those up. I'll ignore any mention to that, not because its the truth, but because its completely irrelevant.

First, seeing as the scores you posted are almost identical that you just showed it takes an AMD QUAD CORE clocked over a GHz higher to equal/slightly best a DUAL CORE chip with HT?

An i5-2300 is a QUAD CORE w/ 4 physical cores, unless I'm wrong? . Sandy Bridge is new technology. Phenom II uses older technology, and yet its on-par with a more expensive Sandy Bridge. THATS MY POINT. sorry you missed it. Who cares what the clock rate difference is? Seriously? My point was a price vs performance comparison. 140 dollar chip vs 180 dollar chip. Pay attention.

Four real cores clocked 1.2GHz higher should have smashed that dual core w/HT. If AMD was half the company you think it is those scores would be vastly different.
Again, the i5-2300 is a quad core w/ 4 physical cores.

Second, I'm assuming the OP is talking about gaming with this rig. What does Toms say about this?

http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 120-9.html

I don't really care what Tom says about it. And yes, I've read that article before in its entirety more than once. The difference is horseshoes and hand grenades across the board, if you actually look at the scores and compare current prices rather than skipping to the conclusion page.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-4.html

Okay, so they're identical. I'll concede the point there.

----
I'm not going to go thru all these game benchmarks with you, all of them fall into the category of, the difference is impossible to detect with the human eye.

this is where you are incorrect....
I'm an AMD fan but the Deneb C3 being the better of the AMD chips still falls short in comparison to SB.
period..

My apologies, I was more directing at Geekapproved, because in other threads he has been completely rude and disrespectful to other forum members. (Yes, I admit I stooped on his level)

But... In response to your post.
Really? Well I just showed you a result where its completely on par with SB..... And its cheaper. So.... We're just going by your word that Deneb C3 is not as good?

I can relate and I have bumped heads with him in the past.
I run my AMD unit more than my Intel and I have them clocked the same often as I'm benching.
Intel wins the IPC battle, even with the Phenom II.
AND I LOVE MY AMD UNIT, but it's true.
now as the added price difference into the equation and yes, the AMD is a very viable / capable alternative.
in that regards I would say it IS that good.

And thats all I was trying to prove lol. Theres just too many people on this forum going around acting like AMD is an overpriced Ford Fiesta going up against a Ferrari. Too much focus on the numbers without proper appreciation of practical use. Especially when you get into trying to compare the quality of a game running at 75FPS vs 85FPS. The numbers say theres a difference, your brain can't.

one more thing.....
" If not keyboard is detected, then how can one press F1.."
;) :lol:
LOL, I've always wondered that myself. I changed my quote to that inspired by a thread from a gentleman I was helping with a computer problem. I don't know if computers still give that error message with no keyboard in it, but my old Dell 8200 would. I didn't know what a *facepalm* was, but I damn sure do now! :lol:

An E5300 on the 775 platform can work great with that card when overclocked to 3.6 they would be almost a perfect match my 5770 showed no additional frames after 3.6 GHZ when playing at 1080 P

If you are able to overclock your CPU then don't waste money on a new anything the 5300 with a good OC is enough for that card.

Not a chance huh?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-9.html

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=289

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20

Secondly I'm an AMD fan, sorry to burst your bubble.

Show me an article where a i-5 2400 (currently priced at 190) is substantially better than a $140 975 Deneb. It was your claim, you back it up. Again, don't show me little pissy 10FPS differences, its absurd. Yes.. I have read that article.. again, MORE THAN ONCE http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-9.html

Also, don't give me that tired old "well it uses more electricity" blah blah. The difference in my electric bill. I might end up paying more for to run the chip in 5-10 years *facepalm*