Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dead CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
July 16, 2012 3:13:31 AM

Hi I have just bought a new Asus Sabertooth P67 mobo i5-3550 cpu and 16 GB Corsair vengeance RAM but had probems imediately so began analysing. On powering up on a breadboard with just CPU in place i get 1 long and 2 short beeps, next step i insert a stick of ram from the QVL, a stick that has been in use in another pc and worked fine, now i'm getting no beeps at all the fans spin up, cpu led lights up then ram led then back to the cpu, back to the ram once more then after a third and final flicker of the cpu led the whole cycle begins again, after contacting Asus tech support they told me to send the board back to the supplier which i did and it was replaced with a board that behaves exactly the same way so i think that safely narrows it down to power supply or cpu, the cpu is the only component i don't have another one of it being an 1155 and my old cpu being an 1156 i have tried using a 550 watt PSU that is currently powering an older system and have also tried it with a 750 watt OCZ PSU that currently powers a system running a 1156 i5 with 16gb ram a gtx 570 gfx card and 5 hdd's

More about : dead cpu

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
July 16, 2012 3:20:36 AM

It's because a P67 board needs a BIOS update to be used with that CPU. The only way to do that is with a Sandy Bridge CPU. I'd say that everything is just fine, the board just needs a BIOS update.
a c 146 à CPUs
July 16, 2012 3:20:45 AM

Chris26 said:
Hi I have just bought a new Asus Sabertooth P67 mobo i5-3550 cpu and 16 GB Corsair vengeance RAM but had probems imediately so began analysing. On powering up on a breadboard with just CPU in place i get 1 long and 2 short beeps, next step i insert a stick of ram from the QVL, a stick that has been in use in another pc and worked fine, now i'm getting no beeps at all the fans spin up, cpu led lights up then ram led then back to the cpu, back to the ram once more then after a third and final flicker of the cpu led the whole cycle begins again, after contacting Asus tech support they told me to send the board back to the supplier which i did and it was replaced with a board that behaves exactly the same way so i think that safely narrows it down to power supply or cpu, the cpu is the only component i don't have another one of it being an 1155 and my old cpu being an 1156 i have tried using a 550 watt PSU that is currently powering an older system and have also tried it with a 750 watt OCZ PSU that currently powers a system running a 1156 i5 with 16gb ram a gtx 570 gfx card and 5 hdd's

First of all the computer won't boot with just the CPU. The board needs at least one (or one pair if it's dual channel) to boot. Next just because a stick of RAM works in one computer it doesn't mean it will work in another. Every motherboard has a CPU and RAM compatability list because not all RAM is compatible with every motherboard. CPU's are probably the most reliable piece of hardware in a computer and unless it is heavily abused is probably least likely to fail.

EDIT- Just realized you have an Ivy Bridges CPU, you will need to do a Bios flash to make the motherboard compatible with your CPU.
m
l
Related resources
July 16, 2012 5:29:20 PM

Thanks for the reply guys I've ordered a cheapish celeron 1155 sandy bridge to test the theory hopefully that will solve the problem. rds1220 I am aware that you need a CPU to boot, i was going through the steps in the troubleshooting guide here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-13-perform-s..., also i did state in my post that the stick of memory i took from a working machine was a QVL compatible stick so the only possible causes bearing in mind this was mobo #2 was power supply or CPU and thankfully you guys have now pointed me in the right direction :) 
m
l
July 16, 2012 5:30:29 PM

Best answer selected by Chris26.
m
l
!