Second Modem/Router

albinoshadow

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Hello, by opening up I would like to explain my issue. Essentially I get 52mb/s when wired to my router inside my office, yet when I travel to my room for wireless I get a measly ~1 mb/s and ping is nearly sevenfold. I was wondering if maybe I would be able to set up another router/modem in my room by any chance for a wired connection to my gaming desktop?

Did not know what sub-category or category to put this in so please move if you believe that it's in the inappropriate location.

how far are you from the office?
what router are you using at the office?

for networking you will need two pairs of wires and in most cases the phone cable is CAT3 and not made to provide the speed. Also it needs to be a designated connection between the two buildings.

albinoshadow

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Office is inside my house, but it is one floor down and probably 50 meters away (estimated). In my office I believe it is a netgear WGR614 but I may be wrong on that one. I have the exact same router as a spare if maybe I could connect the two?

check this website for the firmware and directions how-to upgrade your 2nd router. then configure the 2nd router into bridge client mode to connect wirelessly to the main router. You might have to move the 2nd router as close as possible towards the main router to start with.

If the signal between the two routers is strong enough, it will allow you to connect to the LAN ports and wirelessly to the 2nd router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database