Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Build Ever, Any Compatibility Issues?

Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2012 12:59:49 PM

Hi All,

As the title says, this is my first build. I've done my best to see if all the components are compatible with each other, but I just wanted an expert opinion (or several) before I made my final decision to purchase all of these amazing products ^^.

here's my newegg.com wishlist ID#: 14110609

and also~

Approximate Purchase Date: as soon as possible

Budget Range: <$2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, movies, internet, office work, and i have GOT to learn to photoshop soon

Parts Not Required: speakers/headphones

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, or if less expensive, other websites (perhaps amazon?)

Parts Preferences: see wishlist (i'll try to post individual links below too)

Overclocking: not anything requiring additional cooling

SLI or Crossfire: nah

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (just cuz i found a monitor with this as its native)

Additional Comments: i have a fairly bright room and screen glare is an issue with my laptop atm, is there a solution for this monitor? also, i just don't want anything to require too much regular maintenance (i.e. cleaning, cooling, etc. - hopefully the HAF towers will be enough to keep all the components cool?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts.

sorry if i mess this up -.-

Rosewill RNX-N180PCe Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express Revision 1.1 Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP (Hex & ASCII), WPA(TKIP with IEEE 802.1x), WPA2(AES with IEEE 802.1x)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Acer S211HLbd 21.5'' 5ms LED-Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 12,000,000:1 (ACM)

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1502FAEX 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

XTRAC PADS Ripper Optical Mouse pad

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOX

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10

Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard

Logitech G9x Black Two modes scroll USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse

LG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS90 - OEM

HT | OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier

April 2, 2012 4:27:42 PM

Any particular reason for an AMD gaming rig?

Need an OS..

Why 2x8GB memory? Expensiveeeeeee. If you really need 16GB (which you don't for gaming) go with 4x4GB.. you'll save ~40 bucks.. alternatively, drop down to 2x4GB and save even more.
m
l

Best solution

April 2, 2012 4:29:42 PM

First off the mouse pad and sound card are completely useless, you don't need them. You also don't need 16GB of RAM. And I'd really hesitate to recommend Zambezi on any build - especially a $2K one. Zambezi has had so many problems that there's nothing that can really save it.

Try this:

Case: NZXT Phantom - $119.99
PSU: Seasonic X750 Gold - $159.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P - $175.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $219.9
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 1333MHz 1.5V - $42.99
SSD: 64GB Crucial M4 - $87.99
HD: Samsung Ecogreen F4 2TB - $129.99
Optical: LG BD-R Burner - $79.99
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 680 - $499.99
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2453mh-LED Black 23.6" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor Slim Design - $179.99

Total: $1,860.93

With this build - you get a far better CPU, monitor, video card, and PSU. I don't include peripherals or useless accessories like sound cards or mouse mats in my builds, I focus on getting the best hardware you can get for the money. I'm also not the biggest fan of spending hundreds of dollars on peripherals either - but that's all entirely personal preference. The difference left over in this build will be more than enough to get some nice ones - or you could upgrade to X79 and if you're planning on running CS5 it will make things a lot smoother.
Related resources
April 2, 2012 4:48:52 PM

+1 to g-unit, my thoughts all around. You will find much better performance and lifespan out of going that route -even with the lower amount of RAM- than sticking with AM3+ and a Zambezi.
m
l
April 2, 2012 5:38:18 PM

Check the builds on my sig :) 
m
l
April 2, 2012 8:21:43 PM

i realize this got pretty long, but all in all, thanks again everyone, VERY much appreciated!

@Crush3d no, haha, no particular reason. i'd just recently gotten into building my own rigs and that just happened to stand out in the research i managed. and yea, OS haha, was goin for win7 64-bit. seems like home premium sp 1 is the most popular? and the ram issue too haha it just seemed like a good idea at first glance (so much to learn~~ haha). but thanks for the feedback =]

@g-unit1111 wooow, i never would have guessed that one could build a rig THIS compatible. it seems like all these components were designed with all the others in mind! the case is great, the psu is great (i recently learned the gold certification is essential haha). CPU and COOLER, i'm afraid of the thermal paste..... is the installation of the new cooler fairly easy to mess up and destroy the rig? do you have any safety tips from experience that i should know about? RAM - good stuff. SSD/HD selection - sweet (and smart~) optical~~ i wouldn't have gone with this myself...just cuz..i never really find myself using this that often..at all haha, but since you saved me so much money and probably quadrupled the performance of my rig overall, awww yeeea bluray driiive~ haha. VIDEO CARD hoooly moly this is amazing =O. OS - yeps. Monitor - prettyy~

few questions though: mouse pad, aight i can let that slide, i was just gettin a bit greedy with my 2grand budget, but the sound card? i thought it would be necessary (even just a mid-range sound card) to have decent sounds in games or video? or is the integrated sound card in the mobo just that good? also, upgrading to (i hope i'm talking about the same thing you are) the ASRock X79 mobo seems like something i'll do. do i need to change any of the other components if i do? it seems the CPU must support pcie 3.0 - i'm just gunna go out on a limb and assume the video card does haha

lastly, wow thank you so much g-unit, i've learned so much and now have a direction to my learning too haha (and btw, imma check out the build in your sig now too haha)

@joafu thanks for the upvote/confirmation on g-unit's post =]. you guys saved me from making a disastrous mistake hahaha x]

@zero_ i will, and i have (a little so far), and will continue to do so ^^.
m
l
April 2, 2012 9:02:39 PM

Quote:
@g-unit1111 wooow, i never would have guessed that one could build a rig THIS compatible. it seems like all these components were designed with all the others in mind! the case is great, the psu is great (i recently learned the gold certification is essential haha).

I've been building / tweaking since the mid 90's - I'm pretty well versed in the art of computer building. :lol: 

Quote:
CPU and COOLER, i'm afraid of the thermal paste..... is the installation of the new cooler fairly easy to mess up and destroy the rig? do you have any safety tips from experience that i should know about?

Oh easily - the trick is to get a case that allows for CPU retention - the NZXT case is great for that. This way you can install the new cooler without having to remove the motherboard. If the system I'm building includes an aftermarket cooler already then I mount it before I install the motherboard - fewer hassles. As far as the thermal paste goes as long as you get a good non-conductive solution you'll be fine. Most of the higher end fans include really good compound that the manufacturers recommend - Noctua and Cooler Master include some really good stuff.

Quote:
RAM - good stuff. SSD/HD selection - sweet (and smart~) optical~~ i wouldn't have gone with this myself...just cuz..i never really find myself using this that often..at all haha, but since you saved me so much money and probably quadrupled the performance of my rig overall, awww yeeea bluray driiive~ haha. VIDEO CARD hoooly moly this is amazing =O. OS - yeps. Monitor - prettyy~

If you have money left over you could probably upgrade the monitor - Viewsonic makes nice products but Asus monitors are among the best of the best. And the 680 is based on far newer architecture than the 580 was and is essentially rebuilt from the ground up. I'd get one if I could afford it, but I'll be settling for the 7870. :lol: 

Quote:
few questions though: mouse pad, aight i can let that slide, i was just gettin a bit greedy with my 2grand budget, but the sound card? i thought it would be necessary (even just a mid-range sound card) to have decent sounds in games or video? or is the integrated sound card in the mobo just that good? also, upgrading to (i hope i'm talking about the same thing you are) the ASRock X79 mobo seems like something i'll do. do i need to change any of the other components if i do? it seems the CPU must support pcie 3.0 - i'm just gunna go out on a limb and assume the video card does haha

Sound cards haven't been needed since about 2004 - the onboard audio of most motherboards has been included and improved for the most part. It's all I ever use. You only need a sound card if you're connecting to a speaker setup beyond 7.1 or you're using some really high end audio equipment.

The CPU doesn't have to support PCI Gen 3 - it's backwards compatible. So it'll run fine on any 2.0 x 16 slot.
m
l
April 2, 2012 9:24:32 PM

Best answer selected by supergahmja.
m
l
April 2, 2012 9:37:56 PM

woow haha that's a good amount of time right there xD you must be amazed at how far computers have come, i imagine~

Quote:
Oh easily - the trick is to get a case that allows for CPU retention - the NZXT case is great for that. This way you can install the new cooler without having to remove the motherboard. If the system I'm building includes an aftermarket cooler already then I mount it before I install the motherboard - fewer hassles.

this probably saved me SO much frustration hahaha. i'm going to assume that you install all other cards and peripherals after the CPU/mobo installation though?

Quote:
If you have money left over you could probably upgrade the monitor - Viewsonic makes nice products but Asus monitors are among the best of the best. And the 680 is based on far newer architecture than the 580 was and is essentially rebuilt from the ground up. I'd get one if I could afford it, but I'll be settling for the 7870. :lol: 

i see~~ since you've convinced me that the sound card is a bit...superfluous.. haha maybe i'll invest that in the monitor =]. and haha woow i am so excited to run the 680 hahaha. too bad it's sold out on newegg. hopefully amazon has it in stock or i'm going to be boiling over in anticipation haha

and the cpu tip: sweet haha

OH and i almost forgot to ask you about your opinion on the PCIe wireless adapter?
would it be easier for me to just get a USB adapter?
and ... is the one i found a decent one? from the reviews, it seemed like it does its job, and has a large bandwidth..
m
l
April 2, 2012 10:36:00 PM

Quote:
i see~~ since you've convinced me that the sound card is a bit...superfluous.. haha maybe i'll invest that in the monitor =]. and haha woow i am so excited to run the 680 hahaha. too bad it's sold out on newegg. hopefully amazon has it in stock or i'm going to be boiling over in anticipation haha
\

Yeah they're going quickly. I want to get a 7870 so hopefully they'll still have stock when I order it but it isn't as high in demand as the 680 is right now.

Quote:
OH and i almost forgot to ask you about your opinion on the PCIe wireless adapter?

Eh, I've never really had opinions on these - any generic $15 - $20 USB 2.0 adapter will do.

Quote:
this probably saved me SO much frustration hahaha. i'm going to assume that you install all other cards and peripherals after the CPU/mobo installation though?

Yeah once you get the motherboard screwed in everything else hooks into place. You'll want to clean up the cables a bit depending on which case you get. I've done builds where they wanted an aftermarket cooler and I had to remove the motherboard from the case because it didn't have CPU retention - that's not fun even slightly. :lol: 
m
l
April 2, 2012 10:57:13 PM

supergahmja said:

and ... is the one i found a decent one? from the reviews, it seemed like it does its job, and has a large bandwidth..

I think your original choice for the wireless adapter is just fine. I think I even have that one in one of my towers, and I've never had a problem with it in terms of dropping signal or having interference when I'm gaming. I personally prefer PCIe vs USB adapters, I've had too many issues with USB adapters and I like having most of the card tucked away inside my tower, as opposed to sticking out two or three inches from it; the little dongles fix this, but usually have a lower bandwidth than a PCIe adapter.
m
l
!