Gateway E265M Laptop Overheating

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I have a Gateway E265M laptop (Gateway P/N 1NA10000014). It is slowing down to a creep and I believe it has to do with heating. When it starts up it is ok and then the keypad becomes very hot and the performance slows to a crawl. I am running a utility called Cropel (http://www.cropel.com/) to check that the hard drive is ok and it is reporting no errors. From what I can read out on the web it seems that there could be some problem with the fans or battery.

Does anybody have any wisdom to share with me on this probem so I can get it fixed?

Mike

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
1st blow out the heatsink fins with compressed air...(assuming you havent)

if it has access to the cpu heatsink from the large access panel on the bottom, if you are comfortable doing so, remove heatsink, clean with rubbing alcohol and q tip apply new thermal paste...
if no access to heatsink from panel and comfortable with disassembly, then dissasemble and do thermal compund...

if not comfortable with either of those, shop for new laptop... (sorry had to add that one....*grin*

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Thanks for all for the replies. I took it to my local repair shop and he replaced the heat sink & fan. Also replaced the hard drive -- it had errors from the heating. It's running fine now!