Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA cards for notebook are better than ATI Radeon Mobility cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2012 10:44:08 PM

Hello,

I've heard everywhere that ATI strongly beats NVIDIA (not only for gaming, but for HD movie watching too), so a year ago i've bought a notebook with ATI Radeon HD 5470, but it's a disappointment for me compared to an older and weaker notebook with NVIDIA card :(  The monitors are almost the same in both notebooks (Samsung 156AT0-P1 and 156AT0-H1 ), yet the colors, brightness, contrast are very different: at maximum monitor brightness the ATI one is still darker and yellowish (sepia like), I've played around with Calatyst for months, but i couldn't get the quality of colors and brightness of the NVIDIA one. The default video settings for ATI are so bad, you have to change the saturation from 100% to 50, otherwise the movies are really unwatchable. I've tried older, newer drivers and other operation systems in the last year, but still the same bad picture quality. And it's not just my strange taste, others say it looks bad too. Though it really plays games decently. I'm planning to buy a new notebook or pc, and still everyone says to buy ATI card, not NVIDIA, so i'd like to ask you guys, what do you think? Maybe ATI is only better for PC, but not for notebooks? Or had i caught the only bad one in the market? Or maybe there's something wrong with the monitor? Thank you so much for any help.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 10:53:10 PM

5470M certainly is not a high end card. I've personally never had a laptop with ATI/AMD or Nvidia graphics so I'm not an expert, but what Nvidia card does your old laptop have?
January 25, 2012 11:01:47 PM

It's just a GeForce 8200M G, and my problem is not the gaming, but the color/picture/video quality.
Related resources
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 25, 2012 11:03:00 PM

I wouldnt say the ATI mobile chips are better, I've actually experienced more problems with laptops with ATI gpus, I find the nvidia drivers are better, but thats just from my experience.
If you are looking for a new laptop and wish to game on it , find one with the strongest gpu from either brand that you can afford cos you will be stuck with the one you got and won't be able to upgrade it without upgrading to another laptop.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 11:03:09 PM

Could be an issue with the monitor though, thats what first came to thought.
January 25, 2012 11:09:22 PM

Usually, color issues are almost exclusively the fault of the monitor, not the graphics chip or drivers. I've used both, and there is no significant difference between AMD and NVIDIA drivers.
January 25, 2012 11:11:21 PM

And how can i correct it, if it's the monitor's fault? Should the service change the monitor's factory settings or something like that? I guess the warranty doesn't expand to this problem, or should they do something? When it was in the service (because the dvd drive went wrong), i wrote them to please do something with the monitor, but it came back untouched with a paper they changed the dvd drive.. So i guess it's not under guarantee problem:/
January 25, 2012 11:16:04 PM

math1337 said:
Usually, color issues are almost exclusively the fault of the monitor, not the graphics chip or drivers. I've used both, and there is no significant difference between AMD and NVIDIA drivers.

Not even in colors or video watching? I think i'll buy a PC next time, but i only used notebooks in the last 5years, so i don't really know if i buy a PC with ATI card, can i change it to NVIDIA later? What kind of motherboard should i buy?
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 11:30:35 PM

Yeah you can change GPU's in a desktop whenever you want.
January 25, 2012 11:38:18 PM

Vettedude said:

Thanks, and what kind of motherboard should i buy, is there any comparison site like for CPUs and GPUs? Or what could help me choose from that million motherboard? All i know i prefer Asus.. but nothing more, thanks.
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 12:09:46 AM

the monitors are different so its that.

try to output it onto a different screen and see if theres any differences.
June 20, 2012 12:42:33 PM

i have an ati hd5650 and its not the monitor as i watch movies on the big screen by disabling the onboard monitor.
even with amd drivers the ATI is rubbish, have an older comp with nvidia card no problems, at least it doesnt freeze or have a video crash when it feels like, and that even when just browsing.

amd/ati should be shot..
August 20, 2013 8:36:45 PM

wkate said:
Vettedude said:

Thanks, and what kind of motherboard should i buy, is there any comparison site like for CPUs and GPUs? Or what could help me choose from that million motherboard? All i know i prefer Asus.. but nothing more, thanks.

If you are going for just some casual gaming like me and nothing record breaking, i would recommend a Asus Z87-A ATX.
That is a nice place to start, nothing really fancy but still a great board according to the reviews, and it has got all the features that a normal gamer needs.
A nice place to compare GPU's is http://
And here is a site where you can compare CPU's http://
!