CPU Fan Failure problem

butthead2711

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
First of all, I'd like to say that this is my first post on these forums and I look forward to being a regular soon enough.

Anyhow, I have a big problem. I'm getting the "CPU Fan Failure" message on startup and I've done a few things to try to get rid of it. It started displaying this message after I took my whole system out of the original HP case it came in and put it in a bigger, better case with more fans for better cooling. I'm going to list how I've dried to fix it since..

1)Unplugged the 3-pin fan connector and plugged it back in.
2)Replaced the fan on the stock heatsink with a different fan.
The first time i booted after replacing the fan, there was no error message but after that, there was.
3)Bought an entirely new CPU Cooler (CoolerMaster Hyper N520) and plugged it into the same 3-pin CPU Fan port.... same problem.

Another interesting element of this problem is that the case fan on the back of my computer will not spin when plugged into the System Fan port on my motherboard (although the LEDs turn on) but when I check temperatures on SpeedFan, the CPU at idle is 26 degrees C. However, when i plug it into a regular 3-pin fan connector, it works but the CPU temperatures go from 26 degrees C to 40-41 degrees C..

I'm almost positive that for some reason the CPU fans aren't spinning fast enough and that's why it's hotter than it should be but I don't know.

If somebody can help me out with this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=cp-98654-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4062&product=5049534&sw_lang=
two bios update the 6.07 is for fan profiles...may fix your error. if not i would see if the fans are working if they are would turn off the fan warning.