My Dell i620 desktop freezes (locks) up from time to time... Why?

limewire

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
So I bought a new desktop computer about 2 weeks ago and ever since I got it, it's been freezing (locking) up on me at random times. I currently use Windows 7 64-bit. I put in a new graphics card and new memory sticks just the other day and I got the same freezing problem. It's very random. I can be surfing the web and the next thing you know, the whole thing freezes up. I can't move the mouse. Can't do CTRL ALT DEL. Can't do anything. Seems as if the whole computer locks up. The only way to restart the computer is by manually holding in the power button for a few seconds. So since I replaced graphics card and installed new memory, I was thinking it may be something else causing this... Any suggestions?

limewire

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

Does task manager log in previous errors? I mean, if the computer freezes up, will task manager tell me what happened after rebooting the computer? Task manager won't help when the system freezes unless it gives me an error report right before it happens... right?

limewire

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Ok so no errors from HD tune and ram diagnosis ran smoothly with no hiccups. I ordered a brand new psu. If I replace that and these freezing issues still happens, I'm probably thinking its the motherboard thats causing all the havoc. The reliability report shows me nothing but programs that closed unexpectedly like IE8.

fangly

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
I had the same issue. I tried everything I could think of and then stumbled onto a weird suggestion: uninstall and reinstall the wireless card drivers. Sure enough it worked.