Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Screen 'Tearing' when overclocking memory

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2012 11:32:54 PM

Hello everyone,

A few months ago when I got a new monitor, I made a topic on this forum concerning screen 'tearing' that had never occurred before. I was convinced it was the monitor, but I eventually blamed it on overheating. I returned the GPU to stock speeds and turned up the fan. Everything worked out. However, yesterday I tried overclocking it again, and when I raise the memory speeds by a certain amount, during gaming or sometimes even flash videos half of my screen moves to the other side of the monitor. At this point I am wondering whether it's an actual problem with the graphics card, or some kind of bug. I have also ruled out the possibility of it being the drivers as the problem started months ago and I have updated them many times since. Could anyone help me out?

Here is what I am using:
AMD Phenom II x4 980
Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
8 GB Kingston ValueRAM
650W XFX Power Supply
XFX Radeon 6870 Black Edition w/12.2 Catalyst Drivers

Thanks in advance.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 11:37:10 PM

Not all cards overclock the same amount. You must have just gotten a card that has memory with low OC potential.
January 25, 2012 11:40:40 PM

Vettedude said:
Not all cards overclock the same amount. You must have just gotten a card that has memory with low OC potential.

Do you mean the brand of the card or the that one specific card?
Related resources
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 149 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 11:55:39 PM

certain chips

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 12:01:07 AM

LeonardLP said:
Do you mean the brand of the card or the that one specific card?

Any card. Overclocking isn't something to count on for any chip, its just an added "bonus" if you can get it to OC and be stable. Some chips just don't OC very well, especially bin chips.
January 26, 2012 12:08:06 AM

Vettedude said:
Any card. Overclocking isn't something to count on for any chip, its just an added "bonus" if you can get it to OC and be stable. Some chips just don't OC very well, especially bin chips.

Alright then. It's not like I needed the extra performance anyway, every game I've played runs fines on the highest settings.
Thanks for responding.
January 28, 2012 12:24:45 PM

Best answer selected by LeonardLP.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
a b C Monitor
January 28, 2012 12:33:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!