Sign in with
Your question

New System - Case & PSU Advice Needed

Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2012 4:29:28 PM

Hi

I'm getting ready to build a couple of new systems for my business (also used needed for personal use). I'm trying to make the systems as fast as possible within reason and future proof the core components for a couple of years too.
Take a look at the following:

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP
Budget Range: around £800 - £1000 per system
System Usage from Most to Least Important: work (most important), web, gaming, music, films etc
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any UK websites, amazon used for links below
Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, best quality at reasonable price really
Overclocking: maybe
SLI or Crossfire: probably not, definitely not to start with
Monitor Resolution: n/a
Additional Comments: As i mentioned before, just a fast machine with quality components at a reasonable cost

The parts I have already identified as on my wish list are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 V-Pro/GEN3
CPU: Intel i7 2700k
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz
GFX: Radeon 6770 HD ?? (advice needed)
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
SSD: Corsair Force GT 60GB
Optical: Samsung Blu-Ray Combo + DVD Writer
Optical: Samsung DVD Writer Dual Layer
PSU: ADVICE NEEDED
Case: ADVICE NEEDED

As you can see, I haven't yet got the PSU and case sorted and this is where I hope you guys can help! I'm not looking for anything too over the top. Just tidy. USB ports on the front would be ideal.
Also, the GFX card I am undecided on. What would work best at a decent price for this system? Doesn't have to be top of the range really.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help you can give me!

Dave
April 2, 2012 5:49:20 PM

If you don't need Hyperthreading/core intensive for your work maybe try the 2500K and upgrade the graphics?

Maybe this PSU?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Professional-Series-HX6...
I just used a HX850 for my build and everything I read about their supplies says they are high quality.

For the case it depends what you want it to look like. Maybe check out some of the older Tom's case articles to find something that looks good to you.
April 2, 2012 6:24:25 PM

Thanks for that. Sounds good.
Its listed on amazon for 90 quid here also:
amazon

i had looked at the 2500k previously and did consider it (it is also about £80 cheaper!). The reason I went for the 2700k was purely as it was higher spec.
Is there much of a drop off in the speed between the 2?

With regards the case, I'll have a look at the old articles. As I said, it doesn't have to be anything special with windows etc. I just need something that will work well for this system really.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 7:49:34 PM

Here's a couple of combos you might like:

Home Build or Office Build..... the home build styling is probably inappropriate if you are looking to convey a certain "business" look.

Antec DF-85 or 1200V3 w/ CP-850 PSU - Unequivocally the easiest PSU buy with it's aggressive pricing, outstanding electrical performance (10.0 jonnyguru performance rating), low noise and amazingly low operating temps. The two cases are "gamer cases" and styled accordingly .... two of the easiest cases to build in with great air flow and tons of room.

P183 or P193 w/ CP-850 - More sedate and sound proofed, designed for a business environment. Good air flow, very, very quiet.

Corsair 500R w/ HX850 - The "compromise" between the two sets above .... has aesthetically pleasing clean styling with a PSU which os a match for the CP-850 electrical performance wise, though not as quiet or cool running.

Optical - Unlike the "ole days", I don't see a need for twin opticals.

CPU - 2700k for video editing, CAD, PhotoShop, huge spreadsheets etc, 2500k for gaming and routine office use.

RAM - get away for the tall toothy heat sinks and get the low profile version of same memory.....not only do the tall heat sinks serve no actual cooling purpose, they interfere w/ 3rd party cpu coolers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CML8GX3M2A1600C9W-Venge...

SSD - Unless you are quite proficient in managing Windows files, user storage locations, default program locations (i.e e-mail, program common files locations, etc.....I'd recommend a tier 3 120/128 GB SSD . I got tired of getting machines back at 3-6 months old asking me to clean them out cause the 60/64 GB drive was "full". So now if ya ask me to build w/ less than 120 GB, no bring backs ! :) 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-review-benchmar...

Tier 3
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB
OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120 GB
Patriot WildFire 120 GB
Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB

GFX - i'd really try and move up tot he $200ish range for ya GFX card in order to have a balanced system

!