surihtanil

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
MY CURRENT GPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150490

XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Could someone list some GPU's that are stronger than this card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121435 ?

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130745 ?

Are these cards stronger? I have been a user of ATi for sometime its just how things have ended up, no pun intended. Now I would like to much sure my next PC build I get to try out nvidia. I am hoping to work out a Intel/Sli build at some point in the near future! I say SLi but that doesn't mean day 1 I buy 2 cards, I may never own 2, but a good option to have. Now I don't need a $500 GPU I am a person on a budget, not to say I can't spend money on parts I just prefer not to spend my entire bank on 1 part that will be outdated in a couple years. I spent $390 on the 5870 and was never truly happy with it, many bugs in games I enjoy.

I am still learning and stuff, I don't know jack really... I am trying to learn at a slow rate, but if its possibly to list some nice cards over what I have I would be thankful. And just because you list a card doesn't mean its the card I will buy, I won't be able to buy anything until I get a build in order etc. so at this point I just want to know the better options.

Thanks!

Solution
I should of said this in my last post but, 2x 6870 or 2xgtx560 for around $300 should come pretty close to both of the flagship cards from Nvidia/AMD for $150-$200 less. Then you may have to deal with microstuttering and driver issues at times though. I've read that Nvidia does a better job of running multiple cards when it comes to driver support. Before I got my HD5870 I was running 2x 3870 and had only minor issues with it, but I can't really say anything personally about SLI. The biggest issue for AMD back then was not having x-fire support out the gate for games just released. AMD do a better job of supporting x-fire now with their application profiles which they didn't have back then. They also release alot of beta/preview/hotfix...
I wouldn't bother unless your going to go at least HD7850/GTX560ti 448 core, or if you can find a good deal on a HD6950.

Anything else would be a very minimal upgrade.

What kind of bugs are you talking about with your HD5870?? I've had a HD5850 for about 3yrs and never had a single bug or driver issue. The thing is a beast.

I'm not even sure a gtx 560ti or hd 7850 would be much of an upgrade since the hd5870 is almost exactly the same as a 1gb 6950 which allready trades blows with those cards. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/compare,2931.html?prod%5B5391%5D=on&prod%5B5454%5D=on&prod%5B5398%5D=on Too bad the hd5870 wasn't able to be compared on that link. :(

Don't get me wrong, there is definitly an increase in performance but not worth $250 for the increase you would get. I would probally say HD7870($350) or a GTX580($380-$420 range) to see a big enough gain to somewhat justify the cost.

I've been on my HD5870 since launch as well, and I haven't had any issues either. This card was and still is a beast for most games. BF3 is the only game I play where I've had to lower settings somewhat. I'm still playing at 1920x1080 2xAA with mixed ultra and high settings. I was looking at the new cards, and I also looked at my performance in relation to them. I'm probally going to ride out this card till a single gpu card doubles my performance for around $300. Hopefully the 8000 series will do that or maybe a cheaper 600 series Nvidia card, like a gtx 670 or something. :D

surihtanil

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

Thanks good information, mainstream games I am good with, but Arma 2 I have many bugs and graphical glitches. I love that game so it annoys me a bit, but I can't complain the card has ran everything on max besides Arma 2. I run BF3 very well on ultra which is a game I play often, again thanks for the feedback.

surihtanil

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

Well geekapproved I don't think you read my entire paragraph. The paragraph details the graphics card as a stand alone comparison, the basic fundamentals of a certain GPU. The ring pits just the specs of two cards in a since head to head, stock to stock, if in a machine, a equal machine in a equal playing field. Basically which card is the best pound for pound better GPU as it sits in a box. When I build a system I will make sure to build it around the parts to best suit each parts needs, but right now we're just comparing the basics. Which GPU is the most powerful as it sits waiting to go into a machine built for it to shine the best.

I should of said this in my last post but, 2x 6870 or 2xgtx560 for around $300 should come pretty close to both of the flagship cards from Nvidia/AMD for $150-$200 less. Then you may have to deal with microstuttering and driver issues at times though. I've read that Nvidia does a better job of running multiple cards when it comes to driver support. Before I got my HD5870 I was running 2x 3870 and had only minor issues with it, but I can't really say anything personally about SLI. The biggest issue for AMD back then was not having x-fire support out the gate for games just released. AMD do a better job of supporting x-fire now with their application profiles which they didn't have back then. They also release alot of beta/preview/hotfix drivers now to address new games as they come out.

PS: You could always grab one of the cards that was mentioned, and get a second card when the prices fall. If that is your plan then the HD7850 may be a very good option. IMO. Be sure to make sure your PSU can handle multiple cards before you go this route though.

Solution

WELL it looked like you were making a recommendation to me... :pfff: About the PSU... I assumed that if he was allready running a HD5870 that any of those cards in a SINGLE GPU configuration wouldn't be a problem since they use less power anyway. Resolution wouldn't really matter either since he still wants more performance than a 5870 gives either way. CPU could of been an issue, your right about that. I should of asked what CPU he had, my bad. lol

If he's running a slow dual or tri core, or an old phenom I, well he can go from a 5870 to a GTX680 and might not notice any difference because he's going to be bottlenecked by the cpu, which was my point.

Also if he's running at 1280x1024, a video card update isn't going to do any good either, or it would just be a complete waste of money.