Why do the CPUs are so bloody expensive here in Ireland?

valos

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I want to build a computer and I'm just doing a price comparison on some online shops here in Ireland and in the US.

In Ireland the CPUs (all computer parts actually) are far more expensive than in the US:

I have choosen two online shops at random:

http://www.elara.ie/products/cpuc2.asp

versus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=core+2+duo&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

And here are the prices:

Ireland Price
-------------------------------- ----------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E6300 215.91 EUR (approx. 269.88 USD)
Core 2 Duo E6400 260.35 EUR (approx. 325.43 USD)

US
Core 2 Duo E6300 180 USD
Core 2 Duo E6400 220 USD

Any toughts?

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I want to build a computer and I'm just doing a price comparison on some online shops here in Ireland and in the US.

In Ireland the CPUs (all computer parts actually) are far more expensive than in the US:

versus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=core+2+duo&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

And here are the prices:

Ireland Price

US
Core 2 Duo E6300 180 USD
Core 2 Duo E6400 220 USD

Any toughts?

cost of exporting the product to Ireland (transport + customs + VAT) + additional overhead of having at least one more intermediate supplier who also wants their cut of the profit.

valos

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Does anybody know, if I go to US to buy a CPU, mobo, memory etc. when I return to Ireland do I have to pay any taxes for those products?

Thanks.

shawnpaul3

Distinguished
May 31, 2006

versus

And here are the prices:

Ireland Price

US
Core 2 Duo E6300 180 USD
Core 2 Duo E6400 220 USD

Any toughts?

It's the added cost of having to paint each individual piece green. :lol: :roll:

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Does anybody know, if I go to US to buy a CPU, mobo, memory etc. when I return to Ireland do I have to pay any taxes for those products?

Thanks.

Yes but there's a way around it. Bring a computer case with useless old parts inside. Once in the USA buy your CPU, Motherboard and RAM.. install them inside the case.

When you're going back home let them know you have nothing to declare. You see they don't look at the insides of your PC.

:p

Dumbguy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
It's exactly the same in Australia.

Leprechauns and kangaroos! There probably isn't the same demand overseas as there is here due to population size. Uncle Sam probably has more nerds buying pc components which would help keep costs lower here.

Mondoman

Splendid
It's all a matter of the degree of competition, regulation, and taxation. Different countries have made different choices for their economies. Remember, there's no universal health care in the US, there are less burdensome regulations on businesses, etc. For a nice side-by-side comparison that minimizes transportation and language issues, compare prices in Canada with prices in the US.

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
Today, Wednesday Oct 11, Tigerdirect.ca in Canada is selling the E6300 for $227 CDN. Tigerdirect.com in the USA is 179 USD.

The E6400 is 274 and 216 respectively. All numbers are before taxes. To puchase one in Canada I would have to add 14% taxes and whatever for shipping. Ordering from the USA is out of the question, because duties are added as well as taxes.

I once was tempted to buy an an Antec case from California, until I discovered that taxes and duties more than doubled its price.

Lucky for me, I found the only specimen of it in Canada (at that time), in my home town!

-Bob

yquo

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
For the record I paid core2 6300 (U$S 180 in USA) U$S 233+TAX (26,7%) for the total of U$S 291 that is direct buy from a major importer that only sells to resellers with established companies so for average customer the processor would cost more than that.

I am in Uruguay south america, besides prices of imported goods and gas everthing is quite cheap here. :roll:

Visit Uruguay.Visit Punta del Este, great beaches on summer that is, the best place to spend new year eve's. :D

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

versus

And here are the prices:

Ireland Price

US
Core 2 Duo E6300 180 USD
Core 2 Duo E6400 220 USD

Any toughts?

Its called cost of living. You guys make major money to offset major prices. It has little to do with shipping, although taxes are a factor, we pay taxes too.

Seriously you make three times as much as us for the same jobs 8O :lol:

mark8987

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Its called cost of living. You guys make major money to offset major prices. It has little to do with shipping, although taxes are a factor, we pay taxes too.

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. But if you really are, let me tell you that for professional jobs in the US, your income will likely be higher, not lower, and the cost of living is less as well.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. But if you really are, let me tell you that for professional jobs in the US, your income will likely be higher, not lower, and the cost of living is less as well.

I was serious. I'm not sure about professional jobs but your probably right since the US makes more money in big business and such.

It's probably the lower level jobs that make more. Like i have a 2nd cousin who makes almost $80 000 a year working for Ireland's major airline. My dad's friends' girlfriend :p makes $25 000 a year doing the same job. A flight attendant. Now the cost of living is higher there so it makes up the difference. Thats why things cost more there. Relatively its about the same cost.

Mondoman

Splendid
... working for Ireland's major airline. ....
The airline industry isn't a such a good place to look for comparisons, because most European airlines are still state-owned and/or protected by no-fly regulations. I don't think RyanAir is paying flight attendents $80k.

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

Thanks.

just imagine u could buy X6800, top mobo and 10GB RAM for all but $500, the airplane ticket will cost you a further $500... never the less u wud be dreaming if u can get a top rig for $500...

so use your brains before u speak. Wud u rather pay that extra $40 or wud u like a trip to USA for $500 and coming back with some computer components.

Best way u can do, take a holiday there, and buy just CPU and RAM, ditch the fan on the CPU put it in ur pocket on the way back :D

u can avoid VRT or duty VAT on ur way in. I bought back an Apple laptop last month by saying i had it with me on my way out 8)

they dont normally check at the airport unless u have all of them in brand new sealing boxes

valos

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006

Thanks.

just imagine u could buy X6800, top mobo and 10GB RAM for all but $500, the airplane ticket will cost you a further $500... never the less u wud be dreaming if u can get a top rig for $500...

so use your brains before u speak. Wud u rather pay that extra $40 or wud u like a trip to USA for $500 and coming back with some computer components.

Best way u can do, take a holiday there, and buy just CPU and RAM, ditch the fan on the CPU put it in ur pocket on the way back :D

u can avoid VRT or duty VAT on ur way in. I bought back an Apple laptop last month by saying i had it with me on my way out 8)

they dont normally check at the airport unless u have all of them in brand new sealing boxes

Of course I wouldn't go there just to buy a processor...

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
>u can avoid VRT or duty VAT on ur way in. I bought back an Apple laptop last month by saying i had it with me on my way out 8)

I assume you realise you just admitted to a crime on a public forum? Bad plan...

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
They would have a hard time proving it hes pretty safe.
Its like a misdemeanor(sp?) they arent going to send swat to his house over that.

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Yea still no lie detector on the forums.
Theres an idea. Build a lie detector into the TPM chip and you can digitially sign your messages only if your not lying :p