Tags:
  • New Build
  • Components
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2012 5:18:06 PM

Hi there,
Im building a custom pc and I'd like to know if all the components will work together. So with out further adu...heres my parts.

Rosewill Challenger mid tower pc case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(please let me know if this is big enough to fit my components)

ASUS M5A99X EVO motherboard

AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz processor

ASUS VH236H monitor

OCZ Agility 3 60gb ssd
(i'm kind of a noob when it comes to having a boot drive and a storage drive. will this work as a boot drive? and will i need a 3.5" desktop adapter?)

western digital 250gb hdd

xfx core 650w psu
(is 650w enough or do i need a 750w?)

G.SKILL value series 8gb ram

windows 7 home premium 64bit

EVGA GEforce 2048mb video card
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Mini-HDMI-Graphics-0...

Sony 24X dvd drive
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003MRHOQG/mysup...

I think thats everything. If you could answer one of my questions or clarify that the components will/wont work that would be awesome! :) 

Thanks so much

More about : custom

April 2, 2012 10:11:44 PM

That graphics card looks pretty expensive for what it is and that CPU isn't very suited for gaming. That PSU is also pretty overkill. Please fill in the 'New Build Advice' form in the homebuilt systems forum and I can help you dramatically improve on that in terms of gaming performance.
m
l
April 2, 2012 10:25:35 PM

The budget looks to be around $1000-1100. For that amount of money you could build this:

Intel Core i5-2400
8GB Mushkin Silverline 1333Mhz
ASRock H61M/U3S3
Sapphire HD 7850 2GB
Crucial M4 64GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500GB
Corsair CX-500 500W
Coolermaster Elite 430
LG DVD Burner
Acer G215HVAbd Black 21.5" Full HD WideScreen LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Total - $1072.89 on Newegg

Should be around the same price but would absolutely blow your original build out of the water in games. The i5 will be far better than any of AMD's CPU's in games and the HD 7850 should perform similarly to the GTX 570.
m
l
April 2, 2012 10:32:38 PM

Jmsellars1 has some pretty good thoughts here.

You should consider switching to an i5-2400 + $90 gigabyte z68 setup for about the same cost as your processor + motherboard combo. The FX processors are epic failures in the market and for very good reasons. I would stay away if I were you.

OCZ SSD - OCZ is one of the worst makers. The Crucial M4 64 GB SSD is much better. Crucial and Samsung are the leaders in the SSD space for quality.

The SSDs will work as a boot drive, but 60 GBs and even 64 GBs is just not large enough to put a lot of games on. Gamers really want to have the Crucial M4 128 GBs instead. A 64 GB SSD can only really fit 1 game on it, and not even the largest ones.

The OS + drivers + productivity stuff like word, acrobat reader, chrome browser, etc + page file + 10 - 15% free space for optimum performance takes up almost the whole 64 GB by itself before you even put 1 game on it.

Going to the 128 GBs version gives you room to put 64 more GBs of games on there, which is like 7x - 10x the space you have for games if you are using the 64 GBs size.

XFX Pro 650w Core - Really good PSU. I mean really good. Probably the best one at 650w. Still, it isn't likely you can even dent the power this thing can put out. you could scale back to 550w very safely unless you intend to OC the video card to the max.

550 TI - not sure what you want to do with this, but this card isn't that great. If you want to do gaming, I wouldn't suggest doing it with this card. The HD 6850 blows this thing away at a comparable price (like 50% more power for $0 more).

CD Drive - the Asus 24x is much higher rated and costs even less.

OS - Are you a student or do you know someone with a student email address? Do you have another computer that you are upgrading and you won't be using the old computer anymore?

RAM - I would get CT2KIT51264BA1339 instead for only a couple dollars more.

Case - The HAF 912 is much more popular at the same approximate price.
m
l
April 2, 2012 10:39:27 PM

Quote:
OCZ SSD - OCZ is one of the worst makers. The Crucial M4 64 GB SSD is much better. Crucial and Samsung are the leaders in the SSD space for quality.

The SSDs will work as a boot drive, but 60 GBs and even 64 GBs is just not large enough to put a lot of games on. Gamers really want to have the Crucial M4 128 GBs instead. A 64 GB SSD can only really fit 1 game on it, and not even the largest ones.

The OS + drivers + productivity stuff like word, acrobat reader, chrome browser, etc + page file + 10 - 15% free space for optimum performance takes up almost the whole 64 GB by itself before you even put 1 game on it.

I don't think I'd suggest an SSD on a build with the budget - I'd put that in the GPU especially when a 550TI isn't a good choice when the 7850 exists. You can always add an SSD later on.

Here's what I generally recommend on a $900 build:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2 - $89.99 ($15.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - $121.99
CPU: 3.1GHz Intel Core i5-2400 - $189.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB 1333MHz 1.5V - $42.99
HD: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue - $84.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 - $259.99

Total: $967.91 - $25.00 MIR = $942.91 ($842.91 without Windows)
m
l
April 3, 2012 1:48:45 AM

Thanks for your speedy replies guys!

My budget is around 900-1000(monitor included)

tbh i really dont play games...so I cant justify the radeon HD 7850 for $260. I just need a graphics card that has direct x11 and is between $100-$150. if you guys could suggest one that would be awesome!!! :D 
also will pci express 2.0/2.1 work with the 3.0 motherboard?

I decided to mix&match your guys components to fit my budget so how does this look?

CPU-----i5 2400 $190
HDD-----western digital cavier blue 500gb $85
Case----Cooler Master HAF 912 $60
MB-------GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3 $95
PSU------XFX Core Edition PRO650W $93
cd/dvd drive----asus 24x $29
os------windows 7 home premium $100
RAM----- Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB $43
monitor-----ASUS VH232H $160
ssd-----crucial m4 64gb $85

Total with rebates=$886+$100-$150 gpu

what do y'all think? Thanks for your time,much appreciated!
m
l
April 3, 2012 2:31:31 AM

The best card $150 or less is usually the HD 6850. Below that would be the HD 6790.
The next step below that, and one which I wouldn't suggest going below is the 6770.

RAM - I would rather have the one I said than the Mushkin Enhanced Silverline at the exact same price.

Yes, you can use a PCIE 2.0 card in a 3.0 slot.

m
l
April 3, 2012 2:48:36 AM

Raiddinn said:
The best card $150 or less is usually the HD 6850. Below that would be the HD 6790.
The next step below that, and one which I wouldn't suggest going below is the 6770.

RAM - I would rather have the one I said than the Mushkin Enhanced Silverline at the exact same price.

Yes, you can use a PCIE 2.0 card in a 3.0 slot.

Ok I think I'll get the HD 6850. I meant to use your ram but I must have messed up.
So I think if that's all the compatible I think I'll go ahead&order it.
Thanks very very much for your help:) 
m
l
April 3, 2012 2:51:00 AM

OS - Are you a student or do you know someone with a student email address? Do you have another computer that you are upgrading and you won't be using the old computer anymore?
m
l
April 3, 2012 3:03:28 AM

I'm a student. Not university if that's what you mean. I don't know anyone with a student email address and yes I'm getting rid of my old pc.
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:03:26 AM

The reason I ask is because the OEM licenses are not legal for computers that people buy the individual parts for and they build themselves and which they intend to use themselves.

They are fairly cheap and most people don't care about whether they are doing something illegal or not, so they get used a lot, but there are a lot of better options out there.

The cheapest thing is to qualify for a student copy of the full retail version of Windows 7 Professional x64. That is at the most $65 if you can qualify for it. The easiest way to qualify is to have access to a student email address or to know a student who would be willing to buy one with their address and sell it to you.

If you can't do that, you can still qualify for this, but its harder. You can go to the Microsoft Student website and see if you can buy a copy and in the order process it will tell you some other ways to qualify as a student. You can see if you can fulfill any of those ways.

If you can't and your old computer has a copy of XP or Vista on it (which you agree to quit using, you also can't let anyone else use the copy of Windows) then you qualify to buy a retail upgrade CD.

That costs the same as an OEM CD, but its a legal retail full version CD, not an illegal highly restricted copy. It is much better to get this than an OEM cd.

I don't know for the life of me why people don't get retail upgrade CDs if they are going to do something illegal anyway since they cost the same as OEM CDs and they are much better, but people aren't that logical sometimes.

Anyway, I would try to pursue one of those other options if you can legally do so. There is zero downside from getting a full retail version for the same price or less.

If you don't qualify under any of that, well I guess that is when people usually just do the illegal thing which I don't condone.

- Edit - I forgot to add, sometimes you can get good deals on Windows full version copies by contacting your school and seeing if they have any kind of deal with Microsoft instead of going on Microsoft's website. You could try that too. This is often the cheapest way to get a legal full retail version.

Failing that, it looks like you probably legally qualify for an Upgrade CD.
m
l
April 3, 2012 10:24:10 AM

It isn't illegal to use an OEM copy of Windows yourself. It is designed for OEM's but that just means you won't receive any support from Microsoft and you can't reuse it. There is nothing illegal about it.
m
l
April 3, 2012 1:29:11 PM

Actually, I am pretty sure it specifically says in the license agreement, "If you don't agree to do this stuff, return it to the store and get your money back".

If you don't agree to use it how they say, then they don't agree to grant you a license to use it.

If you aren't granted a license to use it and you are using it anyway, that is a form of piracy which is definitely illegal.

It would be good if you knew what you were talking about when you portray things as fact.

http://www.bizhelp24.com/law/data-protection/is-unlicen...
m
l
April 3, 2012 1:40:23 PM

I'm kind of lost...you're telling me I can't purchase a OEM copy of windows and use it? That's illegal? I'm actually on windows 8 consumer preview at the moment...lol
m
l
April 3, 2012 1:47:24 PM

Raiddinn said:
Actually, I am pretty sure it specifically says in the license agreement, "If you don't agree to do this stuff, return it to the store and get your money back".

If you don't agree to use it how they say, then they don't agree to grant you a license to use it.

If you aren't granted a license to use it and you are using it anyway, that is a form of piracy which is definitely illegal.

It would be good if you knew what you were talking about when you portray things as fact.

http://www.bizhelp24.com/law/data-protection/is-unlicen...

Could you please point me to which part of the Windows 7 license agreement states that it is illegal for someone to buy OEM software and use it themselves?

That link states that using unlicensed software is illegal and that breaking the license agreement renders it unlicensed, we know that. What I am saying is that someone buying OEM software to use for their self is not illegal. If that was the case, why would OEM software be on public sale?
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:55:38 PM

Andystanley - Yes, that is what I am saying. If you are using a legal license of Windows 8, then none of this really matters and you don't have to worry about buying an OS anyway.

Jmsellars1 - That it is illegal is due to copyright law, which is explained in the link that I posted.

I don't know which part you don't understand, but it is clear you haven't read the license agreement.

The license agreement specifically states when and how a license is granted, and the license is not granted to anyone who installs it on a computer which they intend to use themselves.

1 + 1 = 2

OEM software is on public sale because anyone in the public can buy it and use it as long as they follow the terms of the license agreement.

Also, you seem to have this crazy idea that a store can't sell something if it is illegal for someone to use it. You might as well forget that concept.

For example, you can get police radar detectors at Wal-Mart, but in most places there are laws against people using them. Because it is sold at Wal-Mart doesn't mean it is legal to put it in your car and use it to combat police scanning equipment.

The same thing applies to flash guards for license plates. They are illegal in most places, because it prevents police cameras from capturing someone's license plate number when a camera catches them speeding, so the police can't send them a ticket in the mail.

You can buy these things in stores or on the internet. That doesn't make them legal to put on your car.

In some local areas, it might be legal to use these things on your car, but most not. Because it is legal in some places and someone could conceivably go to that place, it is legal to sell in a store.

The fact that something is sold in a store doesn't override the law.
m
l
April 3, 2012 7:28:56 PM

I understand that just because something is on public sale, you can't do as you please with it. I didn't mean it as proof, just pointing out that there wouldn't be much of a reason to publicly sell it if this was the case. My point was that I don't think the license agreement states that you can't buy an OEM copy of Windows and use it yourself.

I have not read the license agreement, I am basing my point on the fact that I worked at Ebuyer for a while (they are a major UK retailer of PC components) and we sold OEM copies of Windows all the time and we were told to advise customers exactly what I advised here. I am just trusting the word of Ebuyer and everyone else I have ever spoken to on the subject over a stranger on a forum because I have never known anyone to have this same idea.

I feel that you have been quite rude so I have tried to make this as non-provocative as possible to avoid further argument. I don't want to talk further on the subject so lets agree to disagree and just help Andystanley with any other questions he might have.
m
l
April 3, 2012 8:10:53 PM

jmsellars1 said:
I understand that just because something is on public sale, you can't do as you please with it. I didn't mean it as proof, just pointing out that there wouldn't be much of a reason to publicly sell it if this was the case. My point was that I don't think the license agreement states that you can't buy an OEM copy of Windows and use it yourself.

I have not read the license agreement, I am basing my point on the fact that I worked at Ebuyer for a while (they are a major UK retailer of PC components) and we sold OEM copies of Windows all the time and we were told to advise customers exactly what I advised here. I am just trusting the word of Ebuyer and everyone else I have ever spoken to on the subject over a stranger on a forum because I have never known anyone to have this same idea.

I feel that you have been quite rude so I have tried to make this as non-provocative as possible to avoid further argument. I don't want to talk further on the subject so lets agree to disagree and just help Andystanley with any other questions he might have.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/P...
I suggest you read that. It clearly states OEM-installed OS systems must be sold after installation.
m
l
April 3, 2012 9:40:31 PM

It looks like technically that's correct, I don't see how Microsoft could possibly enforce that though. (Or why they would even want to)

Apologies, as I said I was going from what I was taught at my last job.
m
l
April 3, 2012 10:43:43 PM

Of course they won't be able to catch you, but you shouldn't use that as an excuse to do illegal things.
m
l
April 3, 2012 11:26:04 PM

No it's not, but my point is that they wouldn't even want to 'catch' you. You're still buying the software, the only difference is that you built the system instead of someone doing it for you.

EDIT: Sorry to have hijacked this thread.
m
l
April 4, 2012 2:46:32 PM

The retailer is incentivized to sell things. That is how they get money. They sell whatever they can however they can.

They get deniability from assuming people will use things they buy legally and they get to sell more stuff. It is win-win from their point of view.

If they don't sell people illegal stuff for cheap, somebody else will. It is pretty profitable to do that. Ask people in Asia.

Also, you will have to excuse my frustration as well. I clearly know what I am talking about and some stranger on the internet who has no idea what he is talking about comes in here and making untrue statements over and over again as if they are fact, potentially advising other people to do illegal things. I don't take kindly to that.

From my point of view, you should know what you are talking about before you contradict someone and state your opinion as fact.

If some random stranger on the internet says something is illegal, there is a good chance they are right. Next time, look at the EULA before you make untrue statements in contradiction and you won't have this problem.
m
l
!