Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HOMEBUILD=EPIC

Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2012 6:11:16 PM

Hey guys I have finished my home build for roughly $1,500 dollars.

Here she is=

CPU-i7-2600
MOBO- ASUS P8P67 Deluxe 3.0
RAM-16GB DDR1600
PSU- COOLERMASTER 1200w Gold
SSD- Crucial 64gb sata III
HDD- 500GB W.D. 6.0 GB/s
Case- NZXT Full Tower
CPU HEATSINK- coolermaster hyper 212+ push pull
Case Fans- 7 120mm Fans, 1 80mm fan
Wireless Card
Logitech speakers
wireless mouse&Keyboard
Wired mouse and keyboard
45ft hdmi cable
GPU-GTX680 2GB
OS-windows 7 Pro
few other goodies= for roughly 1500

Then I had an external HDD 1tb, turtle beach headset, 40" samsung 1080p hdtv, 3 17" lcd Flat screen monitors, all this at home already.

I keep the pc in my office with the three monitors for home work/gaming.

I run the HDMI cable to the living room and use the TV with the wireless mouse and keyboard for movies etc.

When I got my GTX 680 I accidentally got two :) ! I think I should send it back for a full refund because I really don't need it. But I also want to SLI it too, I am a poor college student + married, should I be responsible or keep it?

Also whats up with all these people spending $4,000+ on a rig? I think my set up is pretty awesome for $1,500. I mean I think my rig will be good for 5 years, I can add another 16gb of ram and another 680 for SLI for later to keep its speed up.

I guess if you are a professional graphics designer, movie editor etc..., but what do you guys think will my rig go for 5 years?

More about : homebuild epic

a b B Homebuilt system
April 2, 2012 6:24:45 PM

Not trying to be a jerk, but one thing that's "EPIC" here is how much you overpaid for parts you don't need.

You got the wrong CPU (you want one of the unlocked ones, i5-2500k or i7-2600k), and you have way too much RAM already. 8-12GB of it is going to be sitting around doing nothing, never mind adding another 16GB on top of it. You spent $200 on a motherboard when $120 would do. 1200W is way too much for a power supply unless you're going tri- or quad-SLI, and Cooler Master is a crap brand for PSUs that I wouldn't trust.

Those are the parts you should be sending back for a refund. Although I probably shouldn't be questioning you - obviously, you're the Indian goddess Kali, or you wouldn't need all those keyboards and mice at once.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 3:29:38 AM

for psu you should have went seasonic since your wallet is quite deep.

just keep it dude, doesn't matter if your a poor college student and married, just keep it, and sli them then just do some work or something to gain more money

so far a nice system,
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2012 3:50:58 AM

If you are happy with it that is all that matters. Not all your choices would have been mine but to each their own.
m
l
April 3, 2012 3:57:22 AM

College kids now-a-days must live pretty good lives visa vi their parents to be able to afford a $1500 PC. That's three times more than most "poor" college kids spend on a PC. Oh wait... it is tax season. = ) If I were you, I would save my money and buy a XBOX360 like the rest of the poor college kids do. lol
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 3:58:59 AM

Have you seen tuition costs? 1500$ is NOTHING. :) 
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:14:11 AM

gary1 said:
Have you seen tuition costs? 1500$ is NOTHING. :) 

cereal
m
l
April 3, 2012 4:26:54 AM

Yeah with masters at $30grand a year the $1500 seems like a drop in the bucket...
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 9:14:20 AM

jonathanrhunter said:
College kids now-a-days must live pretty good lives visa vi their parents to be able to afford a $1500 PC. That's three times more than most "poor" college kids spend on a PC. Oh wait... it is tax season. = ) If I were you, I would save my money and buy a XBOX360 like the rest of the poor college kids do. lol

I'm a college student. I damn sure aint rich. I'm in my mid 20s, I had a pretty good job a few years back (got lucky, didn't need a degree), economy took a dump, here I am back in school on a Pell Grant and Stafford loan, majoring in IT. My Stafford Loan paid for this computer build, although it served 2 purposes. The last "decent" computer I had before 2 months ago was a 10 year old Dell 8200. After that, I had a 2nd hand Dell XPS laptop with a bad video card in it (the model Nvidia was sued over), it bluescreens all the time, and a crappy Acer laptop. Building this computer was both practical and educational. :bounce: 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 9:24:14 AM

If I was in college, I'd be so pissed. I could've saved $600 on that build, and had a 40 oz. every day for a year. Or ramen for the rest of my life.

Perspective, folks. Perspective.
m
l
April 3, 2012 10:36:46 AM

capt_taco said:
If I was in college, I'd be so pissed. I could've saved $600 on that build, and had a 40 oz. every day for a year. Or ramen for the rest of my life.

Perspective, folks. Perspective.

Funny, I'm not big on beer nor Ramen (I know, odd for a college student).. I prefer vodka when I do decide to get one one. Although its pretty rare for me to drink anymore. I love Tombstone pizzas though, although the damn things have been creeping up in price so much in the past year, they're more than a fresh-made pizza from the Little Ceasers 2 miles away, kinda sad really.
m
l
April 3, 2012 10:38:46 PM

I understand people not liking the i7-2600 (non K) I dont need to overclock though, CAN SOMETIMES cause problems. And I don't want to have the temptation. Also I don't need the on board enhanced graphics on the k, I have a video card. Plus I got it for $250 :)  thats 30 dollars more than a i5-2500k. It has 2mb more in its Cache and has hyper threading. But this is all personal preference.

MOBO- I like ASUS and this board overclocks my cpu even though it is a non k, to what is safe without guess work, which means I don't have to worry. The board has alot of features that I believe where worth the extra 50 bucks to get. I just am not to sure about gigabyte boards or any other brands really besides MSI EVGA and ASUS. I have to admit I liked ASUS customer support but it seems it has changed, that was one of my main reasons for going with them, wish I hadn't now. I really like EVGA GPUs and they have great customer support, oh well, live and learn.

The PSU, has a descent warranty, and why yes I can do quad SLI with it when I rebuild, got it cheap on sale right around $125. For a new 1200W gold PSU 125 was the best price I could find.

And to the guy who said you don't need those mice and keyboards, how do you expect me to run my PC in my living room on my TV while my PC is in my office? I could have bought a lot of extension cords for my mouse and keyboard, right? :heink:  J/K I understand most people dont read all the way through every post.

Oh and I got all my stuff shipped to Alaska, do you know how expensive shipping is to up here...

Even so I used AMAZON, the EGG, Tiger and this was what I came up with, so minus about 300-400 dollars in shipping.

I dont understand how anyone could have bought all this new for less than $1200, someone said he could have built this PC for 900 dollars, the graphics card cost 500!

Yeah I work and go to school full time, so I sacrifice and get what I want. What kind of parent pays for there married sons computer? I WORK FULL TIME + SCHOOL FULL TIME, and guess what MY WIFE WORKS FULL TIME. I buy my own stuff and pay my own bills and do roughly 75 hours a week with school and work. Its called working hard.

Im sending back the other 680, I can get one later after the gk110 comes out, and prices drop. :lol: 

What I still don't get is how people spend $4000 on computer hardware, I understand software is expensive, but even if I add another 680 at 500 I'm at $2000.

Oh and I don't drink alcohol or eat top ramen :)  MY wife's a dang good cook. +1 to pizza!!!

School is expensive, 15,000 a year not working on masters yet, I feel for everyone in school. My sweet wife makes it MUCH easier, I love her...
m
l
April 3, 2012 10:48:40 PM

jonathanrhunter said:

XBOX360... NO

I can play video games on this for a long time. And when I cant I can use it for other things, unlike XBOX.
m
l
April 3, 2012 10:52:19 PM

MANOFKRYPTONAK said:
I understand people not liking the i7-2600 (non K) I dont need to overclock though, CAN SOMETIMES cause problems. And I don't want to have the temptation. Also I don't need the on board enhanced graphics on the k, I have a video card. Plus I got it for $250 :)  thats 30 dollars more than a i5-2500k

MOBO- I like ASUS and this board overclocks my cpu even though it is a non k, to what is safe without guess work, which means I don't have to worry. The board has alot of features that I believe where worth the extra 50 bucks to get. I just am not to sure about gigabyte boards or any other brands really besides MSI EVGA and ASUS. I have to admit I liked ASUS customer support but it seems it has changed, that was one of my main reasons for going with them, wish I hadn't now. I really like EVGA GPUs and they have great customer support, oh well, live and learn.

The PSU, has a descent warranty, and why yes I can do quad SLI with it when I rebuild, got it cheap on sale right around $125. For a new 1200W gold PSU 125 was the best price I could find.

And to the guy who said you don't need those mice and keyboards, how do you expect me to run my PC in my living room on my TV while my PC is in my office? I could have bought a lot of extension cords for my mouse and keyboard, right? I should've done that.

Oh and I got all my stuff shipped to Alaska, do you know how expensive shipping is to up here...

Even so I used AMAZON, the EGG, Tiger and this was what I came up with, so minus about 300-400 dollars in shipping.

I dont understand how anyone could have bought all this new for less than $1200, someone said he could have built this PC for 900 dollars, the graphics card cost 500!

Yeah I work and go to school full time, so I sacrifice and get what I want. What kind of parent pays for there married sons computer? I WORK FULL TIME + SCHOOL FULL TIME, and guess what MY WIFE WORKS FULL TIME. I buy my own stuff and pay my own bills and do roughly 75 hours a week with school and work. Its called working hard.

Im sending back the other 680, I can get one later after the gk110 comes out.

What I still don't get is how people spend $4000 on computer hardware, I understand software is expensive, but even if I add another 680 at 500 I'm at $2000.

Oh and I don't drink alcohol or eat top ramen :)  MY wife's a dang good cook. +1 to pizza!!!

School is expensive, 15,000 a year not working on masters yet, I feel for everyone in school. My sweet wife makes it MUCH easier, I love her...

All that really matters is that you're happy with your computer. The only thing I would say, is theres really not that much risk in overclocking now. Especially with Intel, for 20 bucks they now offer overclockers insurance on the 2500k, for 20 bucks you can fry as many of them as you want (which is very unlikely)

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Like I said, as long as you're happy with your computer. Thats all that matters.

I agree with you about Asus. I originally had a Gigabyte board in my build, it died after 3 weeks, and gigabyte support was horrible to me. Maybe I just got a new guy having a bad day, but he was both rude and not very knowledgeable. The Asus board I got was the same price, and in terms of build quality, it was physically more durable. (The sabertooth is heavy as hell for a board), and it has a better warranty. 5 years vs 2 years.
m
l
April 3, 2012 10:59:02 PM

I had no idea about the insurance, crap sorry guys I was wrong. I guess the goddess Kali was wrong, @ capt_taco! Crap now I do wish I had a k version oh well!!!
m
l
April 3, 2012 11:00:16 PM

nekulturny, like your build! Yeah I figure that if I can play CRYSIS2 on ultra with the high res pack and with FXAA enabled, I can game for a long time to come, hopefully through college!
m
l

Best solution

April 3, 2012 11:31:36 PM

MANOFKRYPTONAK said:
nekulturny, like your build! Yeah I figure that if I can play CRYSIS2 on ultra with the high res pack and with FXAA enabled, I can game for a long time to come, hopefully through college!

Thanks, and yea. You should have no trouble at all getting many years of use out of that computer. These people who spend 4000 dollars on a computer build, maybe they need it, but most likely theres no reason to spend that much. Trying to keep ahead of computer technology is not a race that can ever be won.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 4, 2012 12:04:03 AM

MANOFKRYPTONAK said:
I had no idea about the insurance, crap sorry guys I was wrong. I guess the goddess Kali was wrong, @ capt_taco! Crap now I do wish I had a k version oh well!!!

Well, don't worry - this will still be a very good machine for years to come. And actually, for a first-time build, you did a pretty good job and still came out ahead. Reading back, I may have come off sounding like a jerk, so if I did, I hope you don't take it personally. Just remember some of those tips for next time. Really where you get the most out of building your own systems is down the road when you know what you're doing 2, 3, 5 years later on. So I hope you stick with it.

nekulturny said:
The only thing I would say, is theres really not that much risk in overclocking now. Especially with Intel, for 20 bucks they now offer overclockers insurance on the 2500k, for 20 bucks you can fry as many of them as you want (which is very unlikely)

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Wow, I actually hadn't heard of that. Although reading more closely, it looks like you only get a one-time replacement. Still, I'm so pissed off at Intel for the warranty trouble they gave me over one of their motherboards a few years ago that I am tempted to pay $20 for this plan, then take the heatsink off my i7-2600k and "accidentally" turn the multiplier to 57 and the voltage all the way up, just to make them send me a new one and waste $200. I've already got a bad power supply in the closet that's out of warranty, so now I just need to find a motherboard I don't care about.
m
l
April 4, 2012 7:25:09 PM

Wish I could select more than one best answer...
m
l
April 4, 2012 7:25:27 PM

Best answer selected by MANOFKRYPTONAK.
m
l
!