undeadkingpr

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
hi,
So I am a system builder and make a tidy some every year on the side constructing PCs.
On a computer I currently have under-construction for a client I have a massive problem.
When I attempt to power on the system, it does nothing. No BIOS, no fans turning, just nothing.
So, I have stripped down the system to a PSU that I know works, the motherboard, the CPU, and one stick of good RAM.
Since I know the PSU, RAM work I figure the problem must be in the motherboard or the CPU.
They are a 3930K and an ASUS p9x79-both brand new.
Is my only recourse to RMA them both and pray for the best?
The only explanation other than one of the two or both being DOA that I can think of is that I have switched out the CPU clamp and I do not know if the new X79 has some sort of sensor to detect how firmly the CPU is planted and prevents the computer from spinning up if it is not (sounds unlikely).
Forgot to mention, the speaker on the front panel connectors doesn't even give me an error code/sequence of beeps.
Any ideas? If I can't fix this today, I'm RMAing both parts.
CC

most time on no power with fans spin is you forgot to plug in power to a video card or the mb. most new mb have short and over heat protection. also check that the cmos jumper is in the right postion from the factory. if they are take the mb out of the case and lay it on the anti static bad with the ps and ram and see if it post with a video cmos beep code failure. sometime when putting the mn in a case you use the wrong screws or forget a stand off and the mb shorts out to the tray or the rear case sheild. two other things to check is the case power and reset swtiches in the right places and are they working. ie on the right headers. a stuck reset switch or bad power swtich wont let a new ps turn on the mb. check all cables to see you did not miss a pin or bend one.

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

NO! Non-conductive surfaces only. Preferrably wood.

Also, the OP already said he can't get a beep code from POST. Plus he states that he's a system builder so he's certainly familiar with the concept of breadboarding.

undeadkingpr

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
"most time on no power with fans spin is you forgot to plug in power to a video card or the mb"
The fans aren't spinning- I would have a lot more I could do if they were.

"also check that the cmos jumper is in the right postion from the factory"
It is

"video cmos beep code failure"
I have no beeps as described in the first post

"sometime when putting the mn in a case you use the wrong screws or forget a stand off and the mb shorts out to the tray or the rear case sheild"
I hate this when it happens-to check if this was the case for this computer, I took the motherboard totally out of the computer-it is only touching my workbench.

"case power and reset swtiches in the right places and are they working"
They are-ASUS has a little dohickey to make this easier-the power button does sometimes give the system 1/10 seconds of life before it dies so it is indeed the power button.

"check all cables to see you did not miss a pin or bend one"
Step #1

"NO! Non-conductive surfaces only. Preferrably wood. "
My workbench is 2 inches of oak covered in a really think wax-like varnish for a reason-it is perfect for electronics.

Thanks for the help guys-I ordered another motherboard and will just RMA the current one for a return to maximize my turn-around time. The customer has already been waiting 1.5 weeks so I need this out soon.