Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$1250 Budget Rig, should I try to use a $500 card?

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 2, 2012 9:09:57 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Today

Budget Range: 1250

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching movies, surfing the internet)

Parts Not Required: not buying a hard drive, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, or monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country: USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: I don't like flashy cases. I'm 42.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200)

Link to the build is here: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I'm $150 dollars under budget. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to spend that extra cash? Should I get one of the new Nvidia 680 cards instead? If so, where, lol.

I'm also planning to spend about 200-250 bucks on a monitor, so if anyone has any 2 cents to throw in there, I'd appreciate it.

Will that card reader work with that case?
a b C Monitor
April 2, 2012 9:35:23 PM

The Carbide 400r is a good case, but the HAF 912 is pretty much as good and usually much less. You might want to consider that switch.

Otherwise, everything is in order.

Not sure about the card reader. The only card readers I have ever had to support were built into the keyboards of government employees.

Monitors - Viewsonic gets good ratings, from what I understand. We use DELL monitors in our house because we love sound bars. Those things are great, IMHO.

If you have all that stuff and $150 more then you can spend it on the better video card if you want.

If you move to the case I said that frees up enough for you to get a Crucial M4 128 GBs SSD which is really good for improving user experiences too.
April 2, 2012 9:54:47 PM

Your build looks good.
I don't know if that card reader will work in your case though. I think you'll need an adapter from 3.5" to 5.25" and maybe some kind of face plate. Check on Corsair's web site they may sell them.
For a monitor I'd go with a Samsung like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
depending what you like.
I'd go with the 680 but unfortunately you'll have to wait with the rest of us. :) 
If you just have to spend the "under budget" money get yourself a new keyboard and mouse 'cause you've got all the main stuff covered. Good luck with your build.
Related resources
April 2, 2012 10:00:28 PM

Raiddinn said:
The Carbide 400r is a good case, but the HAF 912 is pretty much as good and usually much less. You might want to consider that switch.

Otherwise, everything is in order.

Not sure about the card reader. The only card readers I have ever had to support were built into the keyboards of government employees.

Monitors - Viewsonic gets good ratings, from what I understand. We use DELL monitors in our house because we love sound bars. Those things are great, IMHO.

If you have all that stuff and $150 more then you can spend it on the better video card if you want.

If you move to the case I said that frees up enough for you to get a Crucial M4 128 GBs SSD which is really good for improving user experiences too.

I agree with the case (that's what I have) but I thought he might consider it too "flashy" as he put it. A great case anyhow (and his card reader would actually work in it). Also a good call on the SSD. I'm sure he'd love it.
April 2, 2012 10:22:15 PM

Yes, your build looks really good the way it is. I'd stick with the 7870 and put that extra $$ toward an SSD. No question, that's the best option for the rest of your funds.

For a monitor, I have both an ASUS and an Acer. Acer's are incredible value for the price, and ASUS are a little more, but some models have excellent quality.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 2, 2012 10:24:18 PM

I would get mx-2 over as5. The gtx 680 is sold out now you can wait, there might be a new shipment this week.
a b C Monitor
April 2, 2012 10:26:16 PM

Chaz21 said:
Your build looks good.
I don't know if that card reader will work in your case though. I think you'll need an adapter from 3.5" to 5.25" and maybe some kind of face plate. Check on Corsair's web site they may sell them.
For a monitor I'd go with a Samsung like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
depending what you like.
I'd go with the 680 but unfortunately you'll have to wait with the rest of us. :) 
If you just have to spend the "under budget" money get yourself a new keyboard and mouse 'cause you've got all the main stuff covered. Good luck with your build.


I use this card reader - it's the only 5.25" one on the market that I know of and it is the best one I've ever used: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Both of my systems have this reader and I'd get another one in half a second on all my future builds.

Quote:
I'm $150 dollars under budget. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to spend that extra cash? Should I get one of the new Nvidia 680 cards instead? If so, where, lol.


If you can afford a 680 - great, if not stick with the 7870 and get a nice 64 - 128GB SSD for a boot drive like the Crucial M4.
April 2, 2012 10:42:53 PM

SSD or better graphics card? For me a gamer that's a no brainer. I want the highest graphic settings I can have with the fastest smoothest framerate possible. Therefore the GPU is a high priority. SSDs are nice but most games it just shaves loading times in half. 8 sec to 4 sec. I'm going to wait till SSD come down in price more to get one. And trust me they will. The GTX 680 is the fastest single gpu out and it is really amazing with extra Adaptive v-sync and framerate cap software. It will definitely last you the longest when the new more graphical games come out. Here is the comparison of the two GPUs. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=555
April 2, 2012 11:09:56 PM

I have a laptop with a card reader on it and I think I'll just use that for the rare times I'm screwing around with cards. If I decide later I want one I will definitely use the one g-unit mentioned. It's tips like that that make forums so awesome. Thanks.

Some good thoughts about the SSD. I should have said I have a 64 gig one I will be switching out. I tend to obsess over one game at a time so that works ok for me.

Likewise great tips on the monitors. I'm a big Samsung fan, I have one of their TVs and a 19 inch monitor I got a few years back.

Thanks again everyone.

a b C Monitor
April 2, 2012 11:29:49 PM

makeitso said:
I have a laptop with a card reader on it and I think I'll just use that for the rare times I'm screwing around with cards. If I decide later I want one I will definitely use the one g-unit mentioned. It's tips like that that make forums so awesome. Thanks.

Some good thoughts about the SSD. I should have said I have a 64 gig one I will be switching out. I tend to obsess over one game at a time so that works ok for me.

Likewise great tips on the monitors. I'm a big Samsung fan, I have one of their TVs and a 19 inch monitor I got a few years back.

Thanks again everyone.


My phone is a Samsung Galaxy SII - leaps and bounds better than any iPhone I've ever used. :lol: 

Quote:
SSD or better graphics card? For me a gamer that's a no brainer. I want the highest graphic settings I can have with the fastest smoothest framerate possible. Therefore the GPU is a high priority. SSDs are nice but most games it just shaves loading times in half. 8 sec to 4 sec. I'm going to wait till SSD come down in price more to get one. And trust me they will. The GTX 680 is the fastest single gpu out and it is really amazing with extra Adaptive v-sync and framerate cap software. It will definitely last you the longest when the new more graphical games come out. Here is the comparison of the two GPUs. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=555


I completely agree - the GPU is *THE* most important part of any build - but on the other hand even the best GPUs like the 680 are only as good as the hardware that accompanies it. As such I don't recommend cutting corners on anything to get say a 680 or something else that doesn't make sense given the budget.
April 2, 2012 11:52:59 PM

makeitso said:
I have a laptop with a card reader on it and I think I'll just use that for the rare times I'm screwing around with cards. If I decide later I want one I will definitely use the one g-unit mentioned. It's tips like that that make forums so awesome. Thanks.

Some good thoughts about the SSD. I should have said I have a 64 gig one I will be switching out. I tend to obsess over one game at a time so that works ok for me.

Likewise great tips on the monitors. I'm a big Samsung fan, I have one of their TVs and a 19 inch monitor I got a few years back.

Thanks again everyone.

Like ringzero wrote - Asus and Acer are also good monitors (we have each in our house). We have a Viewsonic also which is good but like you I'm partial to the Samsung (hence the recommendation's). That it's also my monitor had nothing to do with it!
April 9, 2012 4:21:10 AM

This can be marked as solved. One question: any place here to read about what I need to know to put it together? This is my first build.
a b C Monitor
April 9, 2012 4:45:02 AM

Forget the Arctic Silver. The CM 212 EVO comes with a small tube of MX-4 which is an excellent thermal compound.

Ivy Bridge is due out April 29th.


http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Series-Gaming-Com... $84.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - CC-9011011-WW

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Series-80PLUS-Performance-com... $96.87 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $154.99
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-Proce... $225
Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3570K 3.4GHz

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-2... $34.64 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-24xDVD%C2%B1RW-Serial-Intern... $19.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Asus 24xDVD±RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern... $109.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $124.99 FREE SHIPPING
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

http://www.amazon.com/HD7870-DC2-2GD5-DisplayPort-Utili... $349.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5 Radeon 2GB DDR5 VGA/DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort GPU Tweak Utilities PCI-Express 3.0 Graphics Card HD7870-DC2-2GD5

or...

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph... $349.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHZ 2 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11199-00-20G

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J6BIJ8/ref=ox_sc_a... $154.53 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1
April 9, 2012 5:34:01 AM

makeitso said:
This can be marked as solved. One question: any place here to read about what I need to know to put it together? This is my first build.


This is a checklist for no booting, but its a great checklist to make sure u didnt mess anything up during install. Biggest error ive seen is not using the motherboard inserts and as soon as u start system it fries motherboard. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-261145_31_150.ht...

Oh here is a video.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Ur gonna love it man. Ur first build is fun as hell. Good luck.
a b C Monitor
April 9, 2012 12:36:23 PM

Even if you don't use the standoffs, its unlikely to damage components.

Usually anyone that does this just takes the motherboard back out and puts the standoffs in correctly and everything works fine after that.

As long as you didn't screw the motherboard so hard into the case wall that you damaged the motherboard in the process, anyway.
April 9, 2012 2:21:04 PM

Why_Me said:
Forget the Arctic Silver. The CM 212 EVO comes with a small tube of MX-4 which is an excellent thermal compound.

Ivy Bridge is due out April 29th.


http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Series-Gaming-Com... $84.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - CC-9011011-WW

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Series-80PLUS-Performance-com... $96.87 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $154.99
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-Proce... $225
Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3570K 3.4GHz

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-2... $34.64 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-24xDVD%C2%B1RW-Serial-Intern... $19.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Asus 24xDVD±RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern... $109.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $124.99 FREE SHIPPING
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

http://www.amazon.com/HD7870-DC2-2GD5-DisplayPort-Utili... $349.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5 Radeon 2GB DDR5 VGA/DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort GPU Tweak Utilities PCI-Express 3.0 Graphics Card HD7870-DC2-2GD5

or...

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph... $349.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHZ 2 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11199-00-20G

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J6BIJ8/ref=ox_sc_a... $154.53 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1


The motherboard listed here is 5 bucks cheaper. But I already got my parts in. Worth it to exchange? The ram is also slightly better. Switch it?

Worth waiting 3 weeks for the processor? I did this order before the announcement of Ivy Bridge.

I've been out of town and haven't built it yet.
a b C Monitor
April 9, 2012 2:32:13 PM

If you have the parts, just use what you have.

There is no need to think about upgrading before you even built the system.
April 9, 2012 2:45:48 PM

makeitso said:
This can be marked as solved. One question: any place here to read about what I need to know to put it together? This is my first build.

Once you pick a best answer it will be solved.
If you haven't built it yet nor actually placed your order for the parts and you're thinking of going with the Z77 and waiting for the Ivy's then you have a choice to make. Go with your original plan or wait. Ask yourself - are you the type who will regret it one way or the other?
April 9, 2012 2:57:40 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I use this card reader - it's the only 5.25" one on the market that I know of and it is the best one I've ever used: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Both of my systems have this reader and I'd get another one in half a second on all my future builds.

Quote:
I'm $150 dollars under budget. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to spend that extra cash? Should I get one of the new Nvidia 680 cards instead? If so, where, lol.


If you can afford a 680 - great, if not stick with the 7870 and get a nice 64 - 128GB SSD for a boot drive like the Crucial M4.


I have a similar build with the Crucial M4 and 7870 and it works great.

Also I bought the same Rosewill card reader and it is horrible....don't buy it. Get the one G-unit suggests if you can.
April 16, 2012 6:29:18 PM

I ended up building it as I'm not the type to really go back and regret stuff. Phenomenal machine just love it.
a b C Monitor
April 16, 2012 6:32:15 PM

Have fun! I know I love my machine even though I could have waited for IB. :p 
!