Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on a new computer build

Last response: in Systems
April 2, 2012 9:54:11 PM

hi,
I have been looking around for advice and this forum seems to be the most helpful.

I would like to build a system which I will be using for a lot of things, including; 3D Gaming, Programming, Office work, watching 3D 1080p movies, Converting between formats (not frequently).

i have chosen a few components already and would like advice on a few that i cannot make my mind up on.

also I would like to keep spending to a minimal but am willing to increase if its not much for a better component. Most of the components will be bought on ebay as they seem to be cheaper but am willing to consider other sites if you know any.

Below is the list of components so far:

Case: NZXT Phantom Full - £104

Cpu, Motherboard and RAM Bundles:
for this i have three choices, i would like advice on which one would be good to get considering the rest of my system and budget. the three bundles include:

1.ASUS P8Z68-V LX, Intel i5 2500K, CORSAIR 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM- £283.99

2.ASUS Sabertooth P67, Intel Core i7-2700K, GSKILL 8GB 1600MHz CL9 RAM- £499

3. Asus P8Z68-V LX , Intel I7 2700K 3.5Ghz, Corsair 8GB 1600MHz RAM - £385.99

out of the three I am currently thinking of the 3rd bundle but would like your advice/opinion on all three. Motherboard wise are these any good?

also if the difference is not much then i may go for the 1st bundle and buy a better graphics card then the one listed below.

Graphics: Again here I would like some advice/opinions, how do these compare to each other and is the difference in price worth it ? the graphics card has to be 3D vision ready as i use a 42 " 3D TV as a monitor and with my current system and would like to continue using that.

eVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Graphics card - 1.25 GB - £219

ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 Graphics card - 1.5 GB - GDDR5 SDRAM- £280

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - £64

Hard Disk Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB,Internal,7200 RPM,8.89 cm (3.5") (ST31000524AS) Hard Drive - £70

Power Supply Unit: here I am absolutely clueless, i know the psu will depend on what card I go for but don't know what ones are good ones to go for so open to suggestions.

The prices on the components are what I can get them for now (02/04/2012). I would like to keep costs down but if the difference in performance between components is a lot then will spend accordingly. I would appreciate any advice/opinions/suggestions. Thanks in advance.

More about : advice computer build

April 2, 2012 10:31:40 PM

Quote:
out of the three I am currently thinking of the 3rd bundle but would like your advice/opinion on all three. Motherboard wise are these any good?

Go with the first one - 2700K is useless if the primary focus is gaming and if you're connecting to a 42" LCD I'm guessing this is the main use.

Quote:
Graphics: Again here I would like some advice/opinions, how do these compare to each other and is the difference in price worth it ? the graphics card has to be 3D vision ready as i use a 42 " 3D TV as a monitor and with my current system and would like to continue using that.

I wouldn't go with either of those choices - the 580 has been replaced with the 680, and the 7870 beats the 570TI on just about every single category. If you can obtain one of those - that would be idea.

Quote:
Power Supply Unit: here I am absolutely clueless, i know the psu will depend on what card I go for but don't know what ones are good ones to go for so open to suggestions.

Go with something like a Corsair TX750 V2 or Seasonic X760 Gold if you can get those. My PSU of choice right now is the PC Power & Cooling Silencer series but I"m not sure if those are available outside of the US.
April 2, 2012 10:51:41 PM

if i am going to be using it for all the things i mentioned above, equally. would you still reccomend the 1st bundle?

with the nvidia 680 whats the size of gpu memory you would reccomend?

also i have a preference of nvidia in terms of graphics cards, only because i have bought nvidia cards and most of them do what they say on the box so i find them reliable , not to bring down ati - the one graphics card i did have from ati stopped working within 24 hours of use. saying that its electronics could just be pot luck i got a fault with mine.
Related resources
April 2, 2012 10:53:16 PM

For the Motherboard Combo choose the first one because as G unit said, you are gaming and an I7 wouldn't change much. You can use the extra $$$ on other stuff

If you aren't looking for heavy gaming choose a lower end card, like a 560 Ti. You can use the extra money saved on an SSD. That would definitely help out in programming. I have an SSD in my build and now cry whenever i use an HDD only computer. But again as G-Unit said. Skip those cards and go for a newer Gen Card

As for PSU... DO NOT SKIMP ON THIS. This should definitely be an investment, to a reasonable amount. STICK TO THESE COMPANIES: Corsair, Antec, Silverstone, Seasonic, FSP (try for others first) Im sure i forgot some but these companies are safe. Watch out for FSP though. Some good some bad.

Make sure you eave enough money for a Blu Ray drive

April 2, 2012 10:55:21 PM

silvasoul said:
if i am going to be using it for all the things i mentioned above, equally. would you still reccomend the 1st bundle?

with the nvidia 680 whats the size of gpu memory you would reccomend?

also i have a preference of nvidia in terms of graphics cards, only because i have bought nvidia cards and most of them do what they say on the box so i find them reliable , not to bring down ati - the one graphics card i did have from ati stopped working within 24 hours of use. saying that its electronics could just be pot luck i got a fault with mine.

i would yes and im sure G-unit would too, as for the 680 1.5 would suffice. To be honest, on 1 1080P screen. 1gb is good enough
April 2, 2012 11:07:00 PM

great , thanks for the help guys! appreciate it.

by the way, how do i close the thread to say its solved? :p 
April 2, 2012 11:45:48 PM

PoplicoMan said:
i would yes and im sure G-unit would too, as for the 680 1.5 would suffice. To be honest, on 1 1080P screen. 1gb is good enough

Huh, I've never had problems with any ATI / AMD card I've ever had. My work computer is running a 3 year old 5800 and it's still humming along just fine. I had one NVIDIA card - an EVGA 280 - and it caused nothing but problems because of a broken DVI connector and I wound up replacing it a total of 3 times.
!