.net passport query

Hi, please help. I am a computer dunce and cant even believe Iv got this far!
When I log off (as the administrator) it gives me the opportunity to log
back in and i see my name and below it says i have 2 unread messages on my
hotmail account (which i did but have now been read) how can i get this to
disappear. It is really annoying cause i keep signing onto my hotmail account
(which i never use as i prefer yahoo) for no reason. please help this tragic
computer wannabe geek! god help us all when i start thinking about
downloading music!!!

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

Try these links

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304148

http://www.updatexp.com/tip9.html

or:

How to Turn Off Mail Notification on the Welcome Screen

By default, XP tries to be helpful and provide you with information, such as
the number of unread e-mail messages you have, on the Welcome screen for
each account name (if you use Outlook or Outlook Express for your e-mail).
What if you'd rather not have this info displayed? You can turn this
notification off by editing the Registry. Here's how:

1.. Open your favorite Registry Editor.
2.. Navigate to the following key:
HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail
3.. In the right pane, find the entry called MessageExpiryDays and double
click it. If you don't see this entry, click Edit | New | DWORD Value and
create a new entry with this name.
4.. Set the value to 0 (the default is 3).
Note that this only works if you have only one account set up in Outlook/OE.

You can also download the last version of Tweak UI and
go to Logon/Unread Mail/Uncheck the Show... and good luck. I never tried
it!

MaK

"oh carolina" <oh carolina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, please help. I am a computer dunce and cant even believe Iv got this
> far!
> When I log off (as the administrator) it gives me the opportunity to log
> back in and i see my name and below it says i have 2 unread messages on my
> hotmail account (which i did but have now been read) how can i get this
> disappear. It is really annoying cause i keep signing onto my hotmail
> account
> (which i never use as i prefer yahoo) for no reason. please help this
> tragic
> computer wannabe geek! god help us all when i start thinking about
> downloading music!!!

Caroline go to my website www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net Click on the
WinXP Faq button and take a look at question 67. You have basically two
options - edit the registry to remove them or use a freeware application
called tweakui. All the details are on the website.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net

"oh carolina" <oh carolina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, please help. I am a computer dunce and cant even believe Iv got this
> far!
> When I log off (as the administrator) it gives me the opportunity to log
> back in and i see my name and below it says i have 2 unread messages on my
> hotmail account (which i did but have now been read) how can i get this
> disappear. It is really annoying cause i keep signing onto my hotmail
> account
> (which i never use as i prefer yahoo) for no reason. please help this
> tragic
> computer wannabe geek! god help us all when i start thinking about
> downloading music!!!

kelly

Control, Userpasswords2, Advanced, Manage Passwords. Or, Control Panel,
User Accounts, select a user then Manage my network passwords.

Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2. Advanced/Manage
Passwords/Remove.

Tip:

Add Control Userpasswords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

You can also check here: Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MessengerService\ListCache\.NET
Messenger Service. In the right pane, Identity Name

Disable Storage of .Net Passwords (Line 223) Right hand side

Added info if needed:

Use TweakUI/Logon/Unread Mail and Repair/Unread Mail Count

Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen (Line 100)

To remove an account or to change the count manually Go to:
Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\[Your
E-Mail Address]. In the right pane modify: Message Count, Change it to 0.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail. In
the right pane modify: MessageExpiryDays Change it to 0.

Overview of Mail Notification Display on WinXP Welcome Screen
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q304/1/48.asp

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"oh carolina" <oh carolina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, please help. I am a computer dunce and cant even believe Iv got this
> far!
> When I log off (as the administrator) it gives me the opportunity to log
> back in and i see my name and below it says i have 2 unread messages on my
> hotmail account (which i did but have now been read) how can i get this
> disappear. It is really annoying cause i keep signing onto my hotmail
> account
> (which i never use as i prefer yahoo) for no reason. please help this
> tragic
> computer wannabe geek! god help us all when i start thinking about
> downloading music!!!

TRENDING THREADS