.net passport query

Hi, please help. I am a computer dunce and cant even believe Iv got this far!
When I log off (as the administrator) it gives me the opportunity to log
back in and i see my name and below it says i have 2 unread messages on my
hotmail account (which i did but have now been read) how can i get this to
disappear. It is really annoying cause i keep signing onto my hotmail account
(which i never use as i prefer yahoo) for no reason. please help this tragic
computer wannabe geek! god help us all when i start thinking about
downloading music!!!
3 answers Last reply
More about passport query

    Try these links

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304148

    http://www.updatexp.com/tip9.html

    or:

    How to Turn Off Mail Notification on the Welcome Screen

    By default, XP tries to be helpful and provide you with information, such as
    the number of unread e-mail messages you have, on the Welcome screen for
    each account name (if you use Outlook or Outlook Express for your e-mail).
    What if you'd rather not have this info displayed? You can turn this
    notification off by editing the Registry. Here's how:

    1.. Open your favorite Registry Editor.
    2.. Navigate to the following key:
    HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail
    3.. In the right pane, find the entry called MessageExpiryDays and double
    click it. If you don't see this entry, click Edit | New | DWORD Value and
    create a new entry with this name.
    4.. Set the value to 0 (the default is 3).
    Note that this only works if you have only one account set up in Outlook/OE.

    You can also download the last version of Tweak UI and
    go to Logon/Unread Mail/Uncheck the Show... and good luck. I never tried
    it!

    MaK

    "oh carolina" <oh carolina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, please help. I am a computer dunce and cant even believe Iv got this
    > far!
    > When I log off (as the administrator) it gives me the opportunity to log
    > back in and i see my name and below it says i have 2 unread messages on my
    > hotmail account (which i did but have now been read) how can i get this
    > disappear. It is really annoying cause i keep signing onto my hotmail
    > account
    > (which i never use as i prefer yahoo) for no reason. please help this
    > tragic
    > computer wannabe geek! god help us all when i start thinking about
    > downloading music!!!

    Caroline go to my website www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net Click on the
    WinXP Faq button and take a look at question 67. You have basically two
    options - edit the registry to remove them or use a freeware application
    called tweakui. All the details are on the website.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net

    "oh carolina" <oh carolina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, please help. I am a computer dunce and cant even believe Iv got this
    > far!
    > When I log off (as the administrator) it gives me the opportunity to log
    > back in and i see my name and below it says i have 2 unread messages on my
    > hotmail account (which i did but have now been read) how can i get this
    > disappear. It is really annoying cause i keep signing onto my hotmail
    > account
    > (which i never use as i prefer yahoo) for no reason. please help this
    > tragic
    > computer wannabe geek! god help us all when i start thinking about
    > downloading music!!!

    Control, Userpasswords2, Advanced, Manage Passwords. Or, Control Panel,
    User Accounts, select a user then Manage my network passwords.

    Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2. Advanced/Manage
    Passwords/Remove.

    Tip:

    Add Control Userpasswords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

    You can also check here: Start/Run/Regedit

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MessengerService\ListCache\.NET
    Messenger Service. In the right pane, Identity Name

    Disable Storage of .Net Passwords (Line 223) Right hand side

    Added info if needed:

    Use TweakUI/Logon/Unread Mail and Repair/Unread Mail Count

    Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen (Line 100)

    To remove an account or to change the count manually Go to:
    Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\[Your
    E-Mail Address]. In the right pane modify: Message Count, Change it to 0.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail. In
    the right pane modify: MessageExpiryDays Change it to 0.

    Overview of Mail Notification Display on WinXP Welcome Screen
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q304/1/48.asp

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "oh carolina" <oh carolina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, please help. I am a computer dunce and cant even believe Iv got this
    > far!
    > When I log off (as the administrator) it gives me the opportunity to log
    > back in and i see my name and below it says i have 2 unread messages on my
    > hotmail account (which i did but have now been read) how can i get this
    > disappear. It is really annoying cause i keep signing onto my hotmail
    > account
    > (which i never use as i prefer yahoo) for no reason. please help this
    > tragic
    > computer wannabe geek! god help us all when i start thinking about
    > downloading music!!!

Configuration Windows XP