Lethath

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hey all,
Never built a system before and have been lurking here for 3 weeks reading on and off, watching Vids and learning what I can.

I finally came up with components which I already ordered (I got my Case itself today and rest tomorrow). :)

So I was wondering if I could get you all to see how I'm doing.

FYI: I will be building the system on a Wooden table in Dining room which IS carpeted. I will also be using an Anti-Static Wrist Strap as I dont want any issues, hopefully.

So, here we go:

*CASE: HAF X CM 942
*MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155
*VIDEO: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1.5GB GDDR5
*POWER: Corsair Enthusiast TX750 80 Plus Bronze
*CPU: i5 2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3Ghz
*COOLER: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
*RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600
*HDD: Intel 320 120GB SATA II
*OPTICAL: Sony 24X DVD Burner Bulk Package

I plan on taking my time and jumping back and forth using this VIDEO to guide me.

Question: Will my Cooler get in the way of my Ram? If so, could I not just use RAM Slots (A-2) and (B-2)?

What do you all think?

Solution
That will be a nice system. Congrats on the new computer.

I have a Hyper 212 Evo and the Vengeance RAM. Those RAM sticks are extremely tall, like hilariously tall. That said, they fit. Just follow your mobo's guide for where to put the RAM to utilize dual channel. On mine, the closest RAM slot to the cooler is NOT used, so hopefully that's the case for your ASRock. I've heard that you can adjust the fan height to accommodate, but I haven't tried it. You could also switch the fan to the other side, but you want to make sure that doesn't disrupt the airflow.

Don't worry too much about static discharge. It's really not a huge risk, in my experience. Of course, the straps are nice insurance. But you can also just touch the metal on your...

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
That will be a nice system. Congrats on the new computer.

I have a Hyper 212 Evo and the Vengeance RAM. Those RAM sticks are extremely tall, like hilariously tall. That said, they fit. Just follow your mobo's guide for where to put the RAM to utilize dual channel. On mine, the closest RAM slot to the cooler is NOT used, so hopefully that's the case for your ASRock. I've heard that you can adjust the fan height to accommodate, but I haven't tried it. You could also switch the fan to the other side, but you want to make sure that doesn't disrupt the airflow.

Don't worry too much about static discharge. It's really not a huge risk, in my experience. Of course, the straps are nice insurance. But you can also just touch the metal on your case to ground and make sure you're discharged.

Solution

Lethath

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Not part of my topic. It's the reason I stated that I "already ordered" after lots of research. Been waiting already and it's a Gaming rig. TY

Lethath

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I didn't mention Crossfire nor SLI or I would have, so....

I didn't ask for people what I SHOULD have done, I asked how it looks with the current config which I WILL NOT change. Ty :)

Lethath

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Thanks.
Tomorrow when I get the rest of the stuff I can start my build. Really excited.

BTW...I'm using Arctic Silver Thermal Paste. How did you apply yours? Is it the pea size method in the middle or?

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Nice, I used Arctic Silver also. Yeah, the trick is to get just enough to cover the entire surface, really edge to edge with no bubbles or gaps, yet not so much that it overflows. Pea sounds about right. And if it overflows, it's not a huge deal. Just use some alcohol on a q-tip and make sure you get every last bit of excess off.

I loved building my comp. Hope you have that much fun too!

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

I didn't know you already bout all of it your original post just stated that you bought the case. If you do not want help to improve your build then why did you even post here?

BTW the 7870 is just as powerful or more powerful than the 580 in almost any benchmark- http://www.anandtech.com/show/5691/the-retail-radeon-hd-7870-review-his-7870-iceq-turbo-powercolor-pcs-hd7870/2
Also note that the 7870 can be overclocked way more than the 580 can and it is 30$ cheaper.

But obviously you didn't want to hear that information because you are close minded.

Lethath

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Umm, Read my original post again. It states what I described, NOT what YOU described.

YOU seem to be the close minded individual, yet trying to deflect facts.

Honestly, I do NOT want help from you. Carry on, thanks. Plenty of people that READ what I said already responded.

Lethath

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Nice. What did you do/use to spread it? :)

Lethath

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Thanks.
Been reading and looking around and it seems most use the "Pea" method. Don't want that stuff to leak out and the center of the CPU is where the heat is. :)