Data xfer speeds

Mpire

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
What data transfer speeds should I reasonably expect on a gigabit network?

I am using LAN Speed Test v1 to test the speeds from computer "A" to computer "B" on my network and I want to know where the bottleneck in speed is and/or what I can do to improve the speeds. I have closed all programs running in the back ground on both computers.

Currently I am getting an average of 621 Mbit/s write and 584 read.

Cisco SR2024CT-NA 10/100/1000 switch. (I have also tried using a Linksys router and it didn't make a difference).
CAT 6 cables. (I have tried switching out cables, and using different routes away from power sources, etc)
Total length of cables combined is under 30feet.

Computer A:
HDD: Western Digital 7200 RPM 64MBcache Sata III
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58

Computer B:
SSD: Intel 510 sata III
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

Mpire

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I have a feeling that the bottle neck is on Computer A, the windows machine. Anyone able to point me in the right direction to finding/fixing the speed bottlenec?

Thanks!

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Depends on the files you're transferring. If you're transferring lots of small files or fragmented large files, your Windows machine will be much slower as mechanical HDs have horrible random access.

On my Windows machines, I'm getting 961mbit using Windows file sharing or ~114MB/sec according to Explorer.

You also have to include difference like the NIC on each computer and the CPUs.

"I have closed all programs running in the back ground on both computers."

Including active malware apps/services? These are notorious for slowing transfers as they check each and every packet that enters the system. Ppl often overlook them. Just making sure.