Closed

Graphics Card not detected

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2012 12:07:44 PM

Hey everyone I did have a thread about my monitor not being detected, this is about the Graphics Card itself.

On my new build, when I put my old GPU in (9600GT) it will be detected by the computer and show up in the device manager. When I plug in my new GPU(HD 6850) I will get picture on the screen but the Graphics Card won't be detected and in device manager the vga adapter will show up instead.

The new computer with the old GPU will let my screen have a resolution of 1680x1050, but the new GPU will only go to 1240x1024, so again I think the new GPU is broken.

This is mostly a new build, the new components are a CPU, PSU, GPU, RAM and Motherboard. I am reusing my old hard and disk drives.

I was assuming that because the old GPU works fine on the new hardware but the new GPU isn't, that there is something wrong with the new GPU? Do you think the only way to fix this is to get a replacement HD 6850?

More about : graphics card detected

a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 12:24:47 PM

RMA for replacement could be the solution. Have you checked that 6850 is properly seated in the slot? Have you installed the latest drivers for it from AMD? Have you installed MS .Net 2.0?
Score
January 26, 2012 1:35:05 PM

I've tried it several times so I'm sure it was seated properly at least once. I'm installing the drivers again and it said I already have MS .Net so I think that's ok. I'll see if there's any changes once i try the new GPU on the new drivers.
Score
Related resources
January 26, 2012 2:29:13 PM

No difference, I tried a different 6pin also but that didn't change anything
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 5:47:46 PM

Based on your trouble-shooting results, I believe you have defective GPU, RMA it for replacement.
January 27, 2012 2:11:30 PM

Best answer selected by bluepurple.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 2:26:36 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!