Does any body really like XP so far...?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It's an AMAZING UPGRADE from Win98/ME but it's only an OK upgrade from Win2000. From a 9X/Me OS to WINXP, you get better stability, reliablity and performance inherent to the Windows NT Kernel, plus you get a wild new interface. For Win2000 users, you get slightly better compatibility and and a new interface; that's it. As you can see, moving from Win2000 to WinXP isn't as much of an upgrade as moving from Win98/Me to WinXP.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""you get slightly better compatibility""

I don't know about that one, I can play SOF on win2k but could not on XP...

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Yeah, but NYC is a really cool place. Came to NYC from Bulgaria when I was 4, and stayed there till I was like 9 I think. Remember teh playgrounds my freinds and I would go to. Hehe, on hot days the block would open up a few fire hydrants, and make this huge sprinkler system. Oh, those were the days. This was when my parents were getting their Ph.D's at Columbia University, so I got to visit the robotics lab there. It was soo cool. Hmm, maybe that's why I'm a comp guy now:)

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Ya man, I thought you be dissin XP like it was a dud. I had to think twice myself:)
I see a lot of post, people crying XP won't do this, XP won't do that. Boo hoo hoo.
I don't have XP, but I would still say I don't like it. It came out like sought a big deal and was suppose to be so great, something for everybody. To me it just seems like a very trouble OS. Even some people that use it say it's just OK, or have had some problems with it, or found something's that didn't work. And for being a big upgrade from Win98se I don't think so, you have your pluses and mines. My Win98se does everything I want it to do. My Win98se works with everything, all hardware and software with in reason and XP doesn't. I like Win98se over Win2000 which is close to XP it plays games better and I can trouble shoot my computer easier, where Win2000 doesn't have some of the features to do this.
I guess what ticks me off is if it's so great why so much trouble?
I wish more people would speak up and say how they like it or don't. But it does seem to be the same thing over and over.

defrage is child's play-fdisk

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""I wish more people would speak up and say how they like it or don't""

I think they are feeling like MS is watching over the shoulder, heh.

As far as XP goes, I like it how it feels, but to have it as an OS on my PC, I would not for now, even I play with it sometimes, it is VERY buggy, and does not work with my stuff I use. Especially SOF... I wish it did, sigh.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
As far as XP goes, I like it how it feels, but to have it as an OS on my PC, I would not for now, even I play with it sometimes, it is VERY buggy, and does not work with my stuff I use.
Correction: WinXP drivers are buggy, not WinXP itself!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

wwildbh

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
I like XP. Very stable. Also, makes it very simple to build an new system. Just put the disk in, and you have a new PC. Don't need to worry about loading up the via drivers (at least I haven't needed to load them up). I've had one problem with the new Nvidia drivers 23.11. Haven't had problems with any sofware loading. Games work great, RTCW, Counter stike, riven, quake.

Enough said

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hehe, well ***_Man, if you say that Explorer.exe or IE crashes when I explore folders because of video driver, I rest my case then, gg. By the way, I use all the drivers from CD, aren't those tested by MS? (just wondering)

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Probably, yeah, cause it never happens to me! Anyway, what's with the ***_Man? You have a problem with AMD or something? I haven't seen anybody but AMDMeltdown use the *** or something like that to hide the letters A-M-D.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Yeah, what's w/ the ***_Man thing. He and I have different views on some things, but I still respect him. Showing disrespect is a sign of weakness the way u do it. Anyways, teh drivers on teh CD are tested...if they weren't then MS wouldn't put them there. IMHO, WinXP is great. I haven't had ANY probs w/ it, and I have used Win98SE, win2k, and winxp on my comp, in that order. Any dos based windows is a piece of unstable junk- that and its horrible memory management, and also the fact that 3D S Max runs horridly on it. Win2k is very nice, but kinda slow. XP is as stable, and way, way faster. Haven't had any probs w/ the 23.11's- and I have done some crazy sh*t with them! I am telling this truthfully...I care which product is best, not which is newer. XP is great- especially when set up properly. My comp hasn't been shut off since the end of last week!

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?

Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
I dig XP... I haven't had many problems with it.. and the one's that I have had I've been able to solve with a little effort.. overall though the ease of use, stability, and flexibility have far exceeded Win98SE (which is still a very good OS). I enjoy a little personal growth and challenge from time to time, so I don't mind the few minor problems I've encountered.

This thang has a whole new league of settings that I've yet to begin to understand, but having it work well without detailed understanding is great... and evenmore, being able to change and tweak things that are not available in Win98SE is even better!!

Ret

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""You have a problem with AMD or something? ""

Not even one, running it now; I was trying to talk to you like to the _MAN, explain stuff, basically I was saying Man, well, I think enough explanations, sigh.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""My comp hasn't been shut off since the end of last week!""

Poor guy, get some sleep, hehehe, XP is great, but it not worth your sleepless nights since "last week", gg. I shut my PC down almost every morning, when I am tired of playing and going to sleep, heh.

PS: by the way ""XP is as stable, and way, way faster."" is not true, "way, way" is no way, Win2k is way, way faster under heavy, heavy load, read reviews, in other things they are almost the same, man.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I'm talking about startup and some other things are faster. Sometimes those do matter when I shut off my comp, and the next morning, w/ 1 minute left before I leave for school realize I need to print my homework. Anyway, what is this thing called sleep?:) J/k I actually have been running the UD agent thing for the THG team, and that's why.

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Any dos based windows is a piece of unstable junk- that and its horrible memory management,
I'm using Win98se and my computer has been on for 5 days and hasn't gave me any problems. And it's doing everything I want it to do. Play games, on and off line, lissen to CD, vidios on line, searching. No problems. I think stability is over rated.
Another thing I think is over rated is the memory management. I don't have any memory problems, maybe once and awhile a program may hold onto it for a little while, but no big deal. For most user they won't understand or give a damn, let alone see any difference.
I used Win2000 I think it's slow, others say it's fast. I notice when I used it to open up or close program, it's like it had to think about it first. O you want to shut down let me think about it, let me check everything first, before we do that, a little while later it gets back to you, OK, it's OK to shut down now. If your ever in a fight send in Win98se it won't hesitate, it'll go in head first. While Win2000 will hesitate and might decide not to go in and give you the BSOD.
I too care about the best, Win98se is the best for me. Now if I did other things maybe I would feel differently. So I'm not fragging XP, at least not here and now, I'm limited to my fragging, because I haven't used it. But I do think it could be a pain in the *ss. And someone with Win2000 experiance would do much better with XP.

Anybody care to share with me what they do with their computer where memory management and the hype up stablity come into play?

defrage is child's play-fdisk