PC crashing and rebooting when using GPU

Drflimflam

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Hi there,

I am currently experiencing some problems with my PC. As soon as the GPU is needed to generate 3D stuff (games) the computer crashes and reboots. I have been keeping an eye on temps, but nothing seems to be overheating at the point of crashing. This leads me to believe that it is the PSU, but how can I confirm this? (The PSU has been working fine for months but I suppose it could have degraded through stress as it is not particularly powerful).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ps, I have a screenshot of HWmonitor if that helps (I can't make head nor tail of the Voltage readings).

hardware.jpg

Drflimflam

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Sorry for the double post (couldn't let me edit the message above).

Specs:
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
MSI P67A-GD53 (MS-7681) (SOCKET 0)
1024MB GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Gigabyte)
550W OCZ ZS PSU

Doesn't the 560Ti Voltage seem way below any component on the mobo?? :)

Get another PSU especially one that can take on the 560Ti....
Your present one seems to be dying......
The 550W PSU should be fine, but, you need a new one....

Drflimflam

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks for the speedy response.

So the problem definitely is the PSU? (Sorry, I am nearly totally clueless on this sort of thing)
I had a feeling it would be, it seems odd as one day the PSU was happy to supply juice to all the components and then all of a sudden it can't.

Drflimflam

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
So there's nothing for it, the PSU will need replacing?

Edit: I've checked the 12V voltage in BIOS and hwinfo, and it seems to be OK. Rather confusing...

Drflimflam

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Thanks for the help, I'm now looking at returning the PSU to the manufacturer for a replacement. But before I do this is there any method or process by which I can definitively identify the PSU as the problem rather than the GPU? I don't want to send the PSU off only for them to send it back saying there's nothing wrong with it.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to do this right.

bang9

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I had sim issue random restart and bsod after googling a lot turn up its psu prob soon as you hit gaming movie ie anything that need your gfx card draw to much juice bam restarts changed mine for a 650 antec from no name......sorted it had no issues after that....sorry guys for none tech talk just in a rush ...hope it help ...