I5 2500k and gtx 550ti

playthalius

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I have been working on my first pc build. I have recieved most of my components in the mail.

recieved:
Motherboard: Intel H67
cpu: i5 2500k intel HD 3000 w/ factory heatsink
ram: 8gb 1333mhz patriot 2x 4gb
HDD: WD Blue Caviar 500gb sata 2 7200rpm HDD
PSU: 750w kentek gamning psu
tower: cooler master elite 431
Monitor: Acer P P216HV 22" LCD
Optical drive: Have not ordered one yet ( I used the usb to install windows )

waiting for:
gpu: MSI Cyclone OC GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB
heatsink: corsair H50 water cooler
case fan: 2x 120mm blue led fan, Fan speed: 1200 RPM, Fan airflow: 38.4 CFM

I have already got it up and running with what I have recieved so far and it runs like it should. My questin is that I am an avid online gamer (World of warcraft mostly) and without any additional hardware I am currently running on good graphics at 30fps at 1920x1080 res, and I am hoping I will get a great increase when my graphics card gets here.

I am still waiting for my dvi cable to, right now I dont have any vga connections on my Mobo I am using a dvi to vga converter. Would I get an increase from just using the dvi cable when it comes in?

Would there be a problem with the setup and I am using?

What recommendations would i need to look into for gaming performance?

My internet is WiMax with great signal and an 8Mbps connection. Would my internet hinder my gaming graphics or fps. When I go to speedtest.net I get 65ms ping and between 7.5Mbps and 8Mbps DL, and ~= 2Mbps UL.

With the heatsink I am ordering what would be my safe OC limitations be? And what about OCing my ram or other things like that.

I am wanting to get a SSD sata3 HD too, somehwere around 120gb. From my understanding I need to instal my OS on this, and storage on the HDD. What about my game files, would they run faster on the ssd or hdd?

I am currently A disabled vet going to school for IT. I found this to be fun and educational so any other information yall can give me on upgrading my performance and graphics would be greatly appreciatted. Like some sort of system tweaking. or what other connections on the omotherboard could I be using. I saw something breif about someone asking if it would speed his pc up if used raid 0 or something like that.

Sorry about all the questions but this website seemed to be the best place to get the information I needed. Thanks again for any information that you can give to me.

Solution
Not all of the questions you asked I have answers to, but I'll answer what I can.

There won't be any problems, per se. However, there are better video cards out there in the price range of the 550 TI, but honestly, for a game like WOW, a 550 TI will handle it with no problem. Although, considering what I spent for my 550 TI a few months ago, I would have been better off with a 6870.

My advice would be to send the watercooler back. Watercooling is not really necessary, and probably won't get you a higher stable overclock than with say a CoolerMaster 212 evo air cooler. Watercooling is less necessary, and no less dangerous. On a 2500K 4.5GHZ is a respectable daily overclock, yes it could probably go higher, but @ 4.5, I wouldn't...
Not all of the questions you asked I have answers to, but I'll answer what I can.

There won't be any problems, per se. However, there are better video cards out there in the price range of the 550 TI, but honestly, for a game like WOW, a 550 TI will handle it with no problem. Although, considering what I spent for my 550 TI a few months ago, I would have been better off with a 6870.

My advice would be to send the watercooler back. Watercooling is not really necessary, and probably won't get you a higher stable overclock than with say a CoolerMaster 212 evo air cooler. Watercooling is less necessary, and no less dangerous. On a 2500K 4.5GHZ is a respectable daily overclock, yes it could probably go higher, but @ 4.5, I wouldn't complain. CPUs are like snowflakes, and every one will overclock differently.

Would I get an increase from just using the dvi cable when it comes in?

As I understand it, you're still using a VGA monitor, right? The biggest improvement is going to be to upgrade the monitor itself. Newer monitors have higher resolution, and finer quality.

I am wanting to get a SSD sata3 HD too, somehwere around 120gb. From my understanding I need to instal my OS on this, and storage on the HDD. What about my game files, would they run faster on the ssd or hdd?
The game files would have to be on the SSD in order to take advantage of the faster load times the SSD can offer you. Honestly, I'd hold off a few more months on an SSD, there is currently a price war going on, and while the price per gigabyte has already gone down quite a bit in the past few months, I expect it will keep going for awhile.

My internet is WiMax with great signal and an 8Mbps connection. Would my internet hinder my gaming graphics or fps. When I go to speedtest.net I get 65ms ping and between 7.5Mbps and 8Mbps DL, and ~= 2Mbps UL.

That internet connection should be fine, but really theres a lot of factors that go into consideration. Yes occasionally internet issues can cause low FPS in games, but assuming the connection is good at all points of contact between the game server and your computer, you shouldn't have a problem with the internet in any modern game.

I am currently A disabled vet going to school for IT.
I thank you for your service. The military wasn't my calling, although my sister is an E-4 Master at Arms USN. Its definitely a huge personal sacrifice to serve, without injuries.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
For gaming at 1920x1080, you really need more graphic card than the GTX 55oti. It is pretty good up to 1680x1050 max, but beyond that you will be disappointed. If you haven't already ordered, I would recommend at least a GTX 560 or HD 6870 for good frame rates in today's games at 1080p.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

And may I too add, thank you for your service...

playthalius

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Thanks for the input. My monitor has a dvi connection on it but the max res it offers is 1920x 1080 at 60hz.

Yea the card actually cam an hour after I posted this (wasnt supposed to be here til fri). I got it installed and up and running and it does take world of warcraft like a champ on all ultra settings at 1920x1080 res running 60 fps without dropping below that at all. Havent checked the 25m raid yet but 10m DS not once did it drop below 59 fps. Considering I got it for only $90 I couldnt be happier.

I was sceptical about the cpu cooler but at the time it seemed like a good deal and i got it on ebay so I jumped on it right before it ended, before I had time to do any research on it so I might just repost it. But at the moment I am happy with the way it is running right now. It is by far the best pc I have ever owned and considering I only got right above $500 in it. Woot im happy (had to say it one more time lol).

Im not sure how to do the quote thing but thanks for your support and thanks to ur sister for standing where most wont.

For now the only improvements Im looking for are on the software end tweaking and that sort of thing just so i can learn about the limitations of possibilities of what thiscan do with what its got.

I was looking at the gtx 560/ 560ti first but when I saw this deal I couldnt pass it considering my budget Im on. And for some reason I like nvidia more than I do ati even tho I have never given them a shot. Kinda like stayig with intel over the amd processor even tho amd's are a lot cheaper.

Yea I am forced to have to wait on the ssd anyways. It cost me all the money I had saved and could spare to build this one so now I am a little behind on my bills now :(
Oh well I will have one before its over with lol.

Thanks again everyone

You're welcome.

Yea, I feel bad for my sister. Really they don't pay you guys enough for what you do. I've met a lot of people who seem to think the military is this 24/7 frathouse where you go in for a couple years and come back rich after committing unspeakable atrocities in foreign lands. Much be nice to live in a world of make believe. I honestly know I don't have the stones to do what you guys do and put up with what you guys do.

To use quotes you just enclose the word "quote" it in brackets by [] quote and to end the quote [/]

If the 550 TI is only 90 bucks now, that is a pretty good deal. I paid $170 for mine in January. But mine is a factory overclocked one, and Zotac actually pushed it up pretty good. Still at the time for that price a 6870 would have been the better buy as they were $170 as well. I've almost always gone with Nvidia myself, so I can't fault you for brand loyalty there. For $500 bucks the whole build is pretty good.

As far as AMD and Intel, Intel definitely makes better CPUs, I've also almost always owned Intel CPUs, more for the simple fact that most of my computers have been Dell and they use Intel exclusively. Although from now on I've pretty much adopted an AMD only policy, as I've become somewhat annoyed with some of the things I know about Intel as far as their business practices. Although as a tech major myself, I can't be naive to the fact that most people simply don't care about anything but how well the product performs. Fortunately, theres really nothing I do on my computer that an AMD CPU can't do for me.

I messed around with WoW briefly, I never had any complains about my 550 TI so it should work out fine for you in raids. Some of the heavy duty first person shooters like Battlefield 3 might give you some trouble if you really crank up the eye candy though. But other than that, like I said, not bad for your first build, good luck with it. :hello:

playthalius

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
[] Yea, I feel bad for my sister. Really they don't pay you guys enough for what you do. I've met a lot of people who seem to think the military is this 24/7 frathouse where you go in for a couple years and come back rich after committing unspeakable atrocities in foreign lands. Much be nice to live in a world of make believe. I honestly know I don't have the stones to do what you guys do and put up with what you guys do.
[/] Had to try the quoates out lol. But thanks again for the support and understanding. its caus eof ppl lke u that make it half worth it. Me i did it cause I was messing up in life so I made a decision to go in, kinda regret going infantry but proud at the same time lol.

Thanks again for ur help.

TRENDING THREADS