Where's my bottleneck?

jeremoose

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hey all. Just a simple question here: where's my PC's performance bottleneck (what do I upgrade next?)

-Foxconn 2AB1 mobo
-AMD Athlon II X4 650 @ 3.2ghz
-16gb DDR3 ram
-Nvidia GeForce GTX 560ti

I'm not really willing to upgrade the mobo since I want to use the OEM edition of Windows I have so I'm stuck (as far as CPU's go) with AM3, 95w CPU's. So keep that in mind when you make your suggestion. Additionally, I do NO photo or video editing and primarily just game.

I was going to purchase a GTX 580 but then thought I might be processor limiting myself. Then I thought I might already be processor limited, but I'm not sure.

So what do I upgrade next?

Goden

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

He specifically stated that all he does with this computer is gameing. He does NOT need to invest in Intel CPU's if he's going to be just gaming. He can save a bucketload of money by getting a really good Phenom II chip and it'll play his games smooth as butter.

Goden

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

As long as you stay within 95w then you're golden.

Sadly, that mobo of yours is going to be a real pain the arse later down the line. It doesn't have very much wiggle room. If it had less strict wattage requirements then you could get something like the 965BE which would be great for your gaming computer.

jeremoose

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

I'm just concerned about not bottle-necking my graphics card currently and at the end of the year I'll purchase a new PC in all likelihood.

I agree with Goden's suggestion of a Phenom II X4 945. I'm currently running an X4 955 paired with a 560 Ti and I run into NO bottlenecking issues.

If you're going to upgrade your PC as a whole by the end of this year, then this is the route I would take. There's no point switching to an Intel if all you're going to do is game as well.

Granted the Intel will perform significantly better, but it's not worth the price of a new motherboard, Windows, and CPU.

Goden

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

Then the 945 should do you fine! ;)

TRENDING THREADS