Router suggestion

edgey18

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Hi,

Just looking for some suggestions really in case anyone knows any good routers with the criteria I need.

I have been looking at all singing and all dancing high-end routers and have forced myself not to be tempted into the numbers and letters, realistically I do not need wireless N and all this other posh new shiny stuff.

My only criteria is that it needs wireless g (hard to find one without anyway) and I would prefer to have a gigabit ethernet port, another nice addition would be a USB port.

Generally I can't find one with a gigabit port which does not have wireless N, this is adding heavily to the cost for features which I will not be making use of, when I want wireless N (probably over a year away) I'll buy another router. I'm hoping to keep the cost as far away from £100 as possible but not sacrificing quality/features.

Failing that I'll have to stick with good old fashioned wireless g only.

My current router is very, very old, it's on it's last legs here. It's having trouble supporting 2 PC's, 2 xbox360's, 1 laptop and the occasional wi-fi device (phones/ipods). All are connected via wireless apart from my main PC.

Any advice and recommendations are very welcome!

edgey18

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Hey,

Cheers, I think I have looked at the router on my internet journey today, I've looked at so many routers I'll be having nightmares about them.

I also did have my suspicions that such a router wouldn't exist, thanks for the confirmation!

I've got myself into some confusion regarding; standard, dual band, and simultaneous dual band. What's the difference in them?

I was under the impression standard only transmitted either 2.5Ghz or 5Ghz at any one time, but didn't fully know the difference between dual band and simultaneous dual band (if there is any), but as of recent Googling have confused myself and I doubt what I originally thought was correct...

Related to the above confusion, from what I understand with my latest Googling, this NETGEAR is 'standard' (rather than dual-band), does this mean it only transmits wireless-n which wireless-g can still connect to but would stay at 2.4Ghz?

Looks like I'll be purchasing something very similar if not that exact model NETGEAR you posted there.

Thanks for the advice!

standard should be 2.4 GHz

dual band will do 2.4 and 5 GHZ but you can only use either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHZ but not both at the same time

dual band simultaneous will do both 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHz at the same time

edgey18

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
So, to set it straight, wireless n devices such as the NETGEAR WNR3500L allow wireless n/g etc. to connect to them but only at speeds of 2.4GHz?

Aye axxeon, I was looking at the E3000 but like I said, so many tasty features I'd be paying for, but I just simply would not use them. Maybe in a year or so, but for now, this NETGEAR WNR3500L looks to be my device of choice.