Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Printer Choices ??

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:15:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Trying to decide between an Epson R1800, R2400 or 4800
realistically the R1800 fits my budget better and I see the R1800
has better resolution than the 4800 plus will print to CD's any real
reason I should consider either of the other two instead?

Real experiences are appreciated.
--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
in the middle.

More about : printer choices

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:37:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I have the R800, which I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) the
R1800 is
the larger version of - meaning same inks, print heads, etc.
If that's the case, the R800 is WONDERFUL. I have been extremely happy with
it.
June 15, 2005 2:29:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Gig A. Hurtz wrote:

> Trying to decide between an Epson R1800, R2400 or 4800
> realistically the R1800 fits my budget better and I see the R1800
> has better resolution than the 4800 plus will print to CD's any real
> reason I should consider either of the other two instead?
>
> Real experiences are appreciated.


I have not tried or seen an R2400 - they aren't available here (NZ) yet.
I understand that with a straight through feed path, they will handle
heavier media / canvas better, and produce exceptional B&W prints.
Reports indicate that the new ink set produces *almost* no bronzing
effect on gloss media. I see no bronzing at all on gloss or semi-gloss
media with the R1800 using gloss optimiser. The R1800 isn't fantastic
on Matte Heavyweight paper. That is the only "fault" I have found.
The hardware and construction for the printers is apparently so similar,
that they may be essentially the same printers with a different ink set
and drivers, and changes to paper path/removal of the CD print options.
The R1800 works extremely well with OEM papers "out of the box", with no
tweaking of profiles seeming to be needed for the average user. I am
getting fussier with time, but still haven't felt any need to tweak
anything.
If the release of the R2400 had been announced before I bought my R1800,
then I would certainly have considered it seriously, despite the extra cost.
That said, I have produced some stunning B&W prints with the R1800, and
if there is metamerism, then it is beyond my eyes to see it. If the 2400
is better, then... wow. Longer term, as a "pro" level printer, there is
bound to be more support available for R2400 users who have critical
needs for profiles for different papers etc.
I have no direct experience with A2 printers.
Related resources
June 15, 2005 5:26:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Gig A. Hurtz wrote:
> Trying to decide between an Epson R1800, R2400 or 4800
> realistically the R1800 fits my budget better and I see the R1800
> has better resolution than the 4800 plus will print to CD's any real
> reason I should consider either of the other two instead?
>
> Real experiences are appreciated.

I have no experience with either printer, but wanted to let you know that printers that
can print on CDs work only with special (and more expensive) blank CDs.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:45:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>Trying to decide between an Epson R1800, R2400 or 4800
>realistically the R1800 fits my budget better and I see the R1800
>has better resolution than the 4800 plus will print to CD's any real
>reason I should consider either of the other two instead?

The printers all give great results, but you may actually want to
consider whether you need a printer, particularly if you're on
budget. It's much cheaper to have your pictures printed on the web
than to print them yourself at home.

Beyond that, when looking at the cost of the printers, consider that
your real cost will be consumables. Find out how much ink costs for
each one.

-Joel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:34:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message
news:11b0p64uq1b111@corp.supernews.com...
> Gig A. Hurtz wrote:
>> Trying to decide between an Epson R1800, R2400 or 4800
>> realistically the R1800 fits my budget better and I see the R1800
>> has better resolution than the 4800 plus will print to CD's any real
>> reason I should consider either of the other two instead?
>>
>> Real experiences are appreciated.
>
> I have no experience with either printer, but wanted to let you know that
> printers that can print on CDs work only with special (and more expensive)
> blank CDs.

Or cheap CDs with inexpensive paper labels.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:58:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <N2Yre.24595$So7.8553@fe10.lga>,
joel@exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:

> >Trying to decide between an Epson R1800, R2400 or 4800
> >realistically the R1800 fits my budget better and I see the R1800
> >has better resolution than the 4800 plus will print to CD's any real
> >reason I should consider either of the other two instead?
>
> The printers all give great results, but you may actually want to
> consider whether you need a printer, particularly if you're on
> budget. It's much cheaper to have your pictures printed on the web
> than to print them yourself at home.
>
> Beyond that, when looking at the cost of the printers, consider that
> your real cost will be consumables. Find out how much ink costs for
> each one.
>
> -Joel
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should add that my main reason is I am a Pro, I have been shooting
more digital only stuff and I also do digital retouch and copy work. A
photo printer makes sense because running to and from the lab
has become a 100 mile event. I talked with my photo dealer today and I
may hold off until I can afford the 4800 primarily because I am now
informed that the ink is ultimately cheaper.
--
I am a Fly in your oinkment, I am the one with real squeal appeal.
June 16, 2005 7:50:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Deep Reset wrote:
> "Marvin" <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message
> news:11b0p64uq1b111@corp.supernews.com...
>
>>Gig A. Hurtz wrote:
>>
>>>Trying to decide between an Epson R1800, R2400 or 4800
>>>realistically the R1800 fits my budget better and I see the R1800
>>>has better resolution than the 4800 plus will print to CD's any real
>>>reason I should consider either of the other two instead?
>>>
>>>Real experiences are appreciated.
>>
>>I have no experience with either printer, but wanted to let you know that
>>printers that can print on CDs work only with special (and more expensive)
>>blank CDs.
>
>
> Or cheap CDs with inexpensive paper labels.

They are getting cheaper so we don't need to use paper labels anymore.
Costco has TDK printable DVDs (50 packs I think) which are just a few
dollars more than normal DVDs.
!