Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Laptop Video Card Upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2012 4:16:29 PM

Hello,

I purshased this laptop from Amazon roughly 6 months ago- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KNVK84/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

It's an ASUS N53SV-XE1 15.6-Inch Versatile Entertainment Laptop . For the most part I'm very happy with it, I upgraded the 4GB RAM to 12 GB. I got rid of my desktop because I wanted a more portable option as I travel a lot. The graphics card that came with this isn't terrible, but I have a videogames website
( www.metalarcade.net ) and I get review copies of games from PR companies regularly. Since games are getting progressively more CPU and graphics heavy I'd like to future-proof this laptop for at least a couple of years. I just want to know if it's possible at all with this laptop, or if would be "open heart surgery" as most people tend to refer to it as. I don't understand why they make laptops harder to change a graphics card out of than a desktop. Any help would be appreciated!
January 26, 2012 4:35:53 PM

The reason nobody has responded is obvious. You have a decent (even to date) laptop CPU and GPU. For game reviews IMO laptop is a no no. You have to have some raw power so you could play games on max setting so you could immerse completely. I would go for desktop PC with dedicated sound card (Xonar DG or Creative alternative) and reasonable GPU (at very least GTX560 or HD6850).
Also, just wondering, why would you ever need 12GB of RAM on laptop? I have 8GB on my desktop running 2500k and GTX 560 and I think it's a bit too much for games and general use.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 4:54:25 PM

EDVINASM said:
The reason nobody has responded is obvious. You have a decent (even to date) laptop CPU and GPU. For game reviews IMO laptop is a no no. You have to have some raw power so you could play games on max setting so you could immerse completely. I would go for desktop PC with dedicated sound card (Xonar DG or Creative alternative) and reasonable GPU (at very least GTX560 or HD6850).
Also, just wondering, why would you ever need 12GB of RAM on laptop? I have 8GB on my desktop running 2500k and GTX 560 and I think it's a bit too much for games and general use.

I absolutely agree with your comments. However I have heard you can upgrade the GPU on a high end laptop via a PCie external dongle type device. It costs about £200.00 just for the device though let alone the graphics card. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Get a desktop bud :) 
Score
Related resources
January 26, 2012 5:48:59 PM

EDVINASM said:

I also do a lot of work on it, like some heavy duty audio mixing in Pro Tools. It helps. I had a desktop with some great specs but like I said I wanted portability. My question though, was whether or not this laptop has the ability to be upgraded with a new graphics card. All I wanted was a yes or no.
Score
January 26, 2012 5:51:18 PM

Kkkk1 said:
I absolutely agree with your comments. However I have heard you can upgrade the GPU on a high end laptop via a PCie external dongle type device. It costs about £200.00 just for the device though let alone the graphics card. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Get a desktop bud :) 

Haha, is nobody even reading what I'm saying? I said in the OP that I traded in my desktop for the portability of a laptop. If that means I'm stuck with a middle of the road GPU, so be it, I was just wondering if it has the ability to be upgraded or if I need to keep trading in my laptop for a better version every few years, which is annoying as hell.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 6:01:59 PM

well.. answering your question yes you can upgrade it's graphics card, But it will depend on you to be able to get first a better graphic card, here i let you a company that may help you. http://eurocom.com/
Score
January 26, 2012 6:14:21 PM

_Pez_ said:
well.. answering your question yes you can upgrade it's graphics card, But it will depend on you to be able to get first a better graphic card, here i let you a company that may help you. http://eurocom.com/

But would it be super complicated, i.e. something only a tech could do, or something I could accomplish myself? The RAM was kind of hard to install, I'm not sure if a new graphics card could just be slid in or if it's a nightmare of a process. I wouldn't want to risk breaking anything unless it's not too difficult to accomplish
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 6:42:03 PM

MetalArcade said:
Haha, is nobody even reading what I'm saying? I said in the OP that I traded in my desktop for the portability of a laptop. If that means I'm stuck with a middle of the road GPU, so be it, I was just wondering if it has the ability to be upgraded or if I need to keep trading in my laptop for a better version every few years, which is annoying as hell.

Well I would ask you the same question. Did I not say you CAN upgrade your GPU? Read my post again more carefully please. :) 
Score
January 26, 2012 6:43:54 PM

Kkkk1 said:
Well I would ask you the same question. Did I not say you CAN upgrade your GPU? Read my post again more carefully please. :) 

I did read that part actually. I was referring to the "get a desktop" note at the bottom.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 6:52:30 PM

So if it was hard to get the RAM in, then changing out the GPU would probably be a technician's job.

There are laptops that use something called MXM where the graphics cards are interchangeble (still not easily though and no compatibility is guaranteed) but the MXM cards are ridiculously expensive, think $500-1000's of dollars. economies of scale and all that.

It is also possible that the gpu in your laptop is not on a daughterboard but directly on the motherboard, in which case it would basically mean looking for a motherboard with the exact same form factor and swapping that in- a risky and difficult operation, though not impossible. and not worth it IMO.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 6:56:19 PM

OK bud that's fine. We're just saying if you want to review games properly, get a desktop. However you need a very good (expensive) laptop with a decent GPU i.e GTX580M to review on to see if the game really makes a difference in high settings. See Anno 2070 difference between low and ultra settings.
I clicked on your link but I couldn't see anywhere it says the GPU installed on your machine. What is the GPU on your laptop please?
Score
January 26, 2012 8:04:51 PM

Kkkk1 said:
OK bud that's fine. We're just saying if you want to review games properly, get a desktop. However you need a very good (expensive) laptop with a decent GPU i.e GTX580M to review on to see if the game really makes a difference in high settings. See Anno 2070 difference between low and ultra settings.
I clicked on your link but I couldn't see anywhere it says the GPU installed on your machine. What is the GPU on your laptop please?

GPU is Nvidia GeForce GT540M , processor is intel core i7 . It runs most games on high settings fine, but like I said I just wanted to know if its possible to upgrade in the future. So the consensus seems to be, don't bother, just buy a new laptop when this one's run it's course?
Score
January 26, 2012 8:05:53 PM

Kkkk1 said:

Here's the rest of the details if they make a difference:

Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad-Core Processor 2.0 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
4GB of DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 4 slots, 16GB Max;
500GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM), Super Multi DVD drive
15.6-Inch HD (1366x768) LED Display, Nvidia GT540M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 VRAM
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System
Score
!