Sign in with
Your question

Can I still take advantage of igpu when using a dedicated card?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 16, 2012 7:58:08 PM

Here are my specs (once complete, anyway)

Core i5 3570K
ASUS P8Z77
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 (hoping to hit 1866 with lax timings)
OCZ Agility 3 60GB
Geforce 9800GTX+

Since my most dated component is my graphics card, and my most recent component is my processor, with its integrated GPU, the iGPU is technically more advanced, albeit a quarter of the power.

Is there any way to take advantage of all this extra processing power? That's a lot of transistors to simply lie dormant.

Perhaps a physX hack for the HD-4000, or video encoding, or something along those lines?

I read about a university that figured out how to boost the CPU power by 25% using the iGPU. Any more work being done? I don't like wasted transistors. :sol: 
a c 283 à CPUs
July 16, 2012 8:03:04 PM

Not really. The 9800GTX+ is still WAY more powerful than HD 4000.

The only thing the iGPU is good for when you use a discreet card is Quick Sync for video encoding when you use VirtuMVP. VirtuMVP supposedly helps gaming performance a bit, but I haven't really seen anything to back that up.

And no, there are no "hacks" to make PhysX work on anything other than a Nvidia GPU.
m
l
a c 313 à CPUs
July 17, 2012 1:03:31 AM

Lucidlogix's Virtu software will allow you to use the SB/IB IGP and your discrete graphics card at the same time. I haven't personally used this, so I cannot vouch for its quality. But I have read highly regarded reviews of it.
http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-virtu-gpu.html

I'm surprised your motherboard DVD didn't come with a copy of it.
m
l
July 17, 2012 7:13:25 PM

Actually, it did. The only driver I install from a preset source, though is my wireless adapter. Followed by Waterfox. Then I just download all the latest ones.

I'll have to read that review of Virtu. Because from what I've seen from other users, it takes about a week of constant tweaking to get it to function, and then it's glitches galore once it actually runs.
m
l
!