Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • RAM
  • Heatsinks
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
July 16, 2012 8:32:41 PM

So, I decided to go out and build myself a new D3/TOR machine. I only need 3 more things before I assemble...a PSU, a Heatsink(s), and RAM. Current build before questions:

Intel Core i7-3770S Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz

Asus Z77 MoBo (Sweet armor.)

EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1Gig (single)

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 2.5" 180GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD 7200 RPM

Windows 7 Home Pro

Now, I am looking at either at Corsair H100 or the Thermaltake Water 2.0 cooler. Both seem to have good reviews, it seems to boil down to a Corsair vs Thermaltake preference in general. Anyone else have gouge on this? I have a Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1 Case if that helps.

RAM: I am looking at G. Skill Ripjaw X Series Ram (1866, PC3 14900). However, when I look at G. Skills other ram...I see the Sniper edition....which is also 1866/Pc3 14900. Is there a difference I am missing somewhere?

PSU: When I feed all of this into a "Dyna" for PSU, it spits out a minimum of 800 (I put in 6 USB toys for grins). Can I get away with an 850 at at least 80 Silver cert? Or should I just spend the extra and go for a 1k? If yes, any recommendations? All of the Modular 1k's I saw seem to have a short ATX cable problem with bottom PSU mounts reaching the board.

More about : opinions psu ram heatsink

a c 158 ) Power supply
July 17, 2012 11:46:48 AM

A system with two GTX 560tisrunning in two-way SLI requires a 750W PSU with four 75W 6-pin PCIe power connectors and 53A on the 12V rails. The PC P&C 750W is a great deal right now at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $90 after MIR and you get a $20 gift card. It has plenty of power for your PC and any OC of the CPU/GPU, it has sufficient PCIe poer connectors, and is 80+ Silver, and has a 7yr warranty - can't be beat in this price range right now.

Save some money on the CPU and get an i5 2500K or i5 3570K. Unless you're planning on OCing just get 8GB of value DDR3 from a quality mfr like Corsair or Crucial...more savings. Unless you're doing extreme OCing you don't need more than a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Evo HSF...it provides sufficient cooling for high OCs especially if you set it up in a push/pull config.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 17, 2012 2:10:55 PM

Devildoc325l said:
So, I decided to go out and build myself a new D3/TOR machine. I only need 3 more things before I assemble...a PSU, a Heatsink(s), and RAM. Current build before questions:

Intel Core i7-3770S Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz

Asus Z77 MoBo (Sweet armor.)

EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1Gig (single)

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 2.5" 180GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD 7200 RPM

Windows 7 Home Pro

Now, I am looking at either at Corsair H100 or the Thermaltake Water 2.0 cooler. Both seem to have good reviews, it seems to boil down to a Corsair vs Thermaltake preference in general. Anyone else have gouge on this? I have a Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1 Case if that helps.

RAM: I am looking at G. Skill Ripjaw X Series Ram (1866, PC3 14900). However, when I look at G. Skills other ram...I see the Sniper edition....which is also 1866/Pc3 14900. Is there a difference I am missing somewhere?

PSU: When I feed all of this into a "Dyna" for PSU, it spits out a minimum of 800 (I put in 6 USB toys for grins). Can I get away with an 850 at at least 80 Silver cert? Or should I just spend the extra and go for a 1k? If yes, any recommendations? All of the Modular 1k's I saw seem to have a short ATX cable problem with bottom PSU mounts reaching the board.

Keep researching. The 3770S is the low power, lower speed version and cannot be overclocked (well, not very much). It is designed for systems that want to save power or can't fit big cooling solutions. You need nothing more than the stock Intel cooler for it...so given your focus on a big cooler, I don't think that's the chip you're looking for. Unless you really know what you're doing overclocking (and maybe not even then), you don't need 1866 speed RAM. I think Rugger is right and you want the i5 2500k or i5 3570k.

You only list 1 video card in the system (not sure why Rugger says SLI): I can't imagine how a psu calculator came up with 800w for the system. This system will draw maybe 250w unless I'm reading your specs wrong.

Btw -- I have that Corsair 180 drive and it is very nice.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 17, 2012 5:20:27 PM

Temile said:
Keep researching. The 3770S is the low power, lower speed version and cannot be overclocked (well, not very much). It is designed for systems that want to save power or can't fit big cooling solutions. You need nothing more than the stock Intel cooler for it...so given your focus on a big cooler, I don't think that's the chip you're looking for. Unless you really know what you're doing overclocking (and maybe not even then), you don't need 1866 speed RAM. I think Rugger is right and you want the i5 2500k or i5 3570k.

You only list 1 video card in the system (not sure why Rugger says SLI): I can't imagine how a psu calculator came up with 800w for the system. This system will draw maybe 250w unless I'm reading your specs wrong.

Btw -- I have that Corsair 180 drive and it is very nice.

Temile: I guess I saw SLi when it said single..that's the only thing that makes a 750W PSU even remotely necessary. :whistle: 

@OP: A system with a single GTX560ti requires a 500W PSU with at least 35A on the 12V rails and two 75W 6-pin PCIe power connectors. Th Seasonic M12II-520 is a great PSu at a great Price right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... With 40A on the 12V rails it has enough reserve power for significant OCs on the CPU/GPU and it has sufficient PCIe power connectors.
m
l
!