Sign in with
Your question

Brand New build at age 14!!! Review

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2012 5:13:49 AM

Hi My name Is Preston I'm 14 and vbery interested in computers and this month I had nothing to do so... I built a high end gaming PC :) . ok so this started off as a budget build (and still is) but I upped the price a little bit to get maximum Performance Possible. i will include the price and where I got the products from also whether it is New, Used , Manufactured Refurbished. P.S. I spent many hours researching, reviewing and buying the individual PC parts so it would mean a whole lot to me if you could review this build :) 

All of this includes shipping costs

So here it is (Drum Roll Please) DaDaDaDaDaDaDaDaDaDaDa

Preston's First High End Gaming PC Build!!!!

Mid-Tower ATX Case: Cooler master Elite 430 (New) Price: $44.99 [Newegg]
Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD Evo AM3 USB 3.0 motherboard (Manufacturer Refurbished) Price: $52.20 [Ebay]

Power Supply: Corsair CX430 (Builder Series) PSU (New) Price: $16.99 [Newegg]

Central Processing Unit: AMD Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 GHz Quad-Core (HDZ965FBGMBOX) Processor (New) Price: $103.87 [Ebay]

CPU HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (New) Price: $25.99 [Amazon]

Hard Disk Drive: Seagate Barracuda 250gb 7200.11 RPM 8mb Cache (Used) Price: $10.00 [Craigslist]

Graphics Processing Unit: Visiontek Radeon HD 6870 (Used) Price: $25.00 [Ebay]

Random Access Memory: G-Skill Ripjaws X 1333mhz DDR3 4gb 2gx2 PC3-10666 (New) Price: $25.99 [Newegg]

DVD Drive: Dell 16x DVD-RW Drive (Pulled from Dell XPS 710 (Used) Price: $0.00 FREE [Craigslist]

My Peripherals and Accessories

Fans: Cooler master Stock fan from The Elite 430 and the Hyper 212+ (120mm)
Rosewill 120mm RCA-1024BK (4p/k) (New) Price: $11.98 [Newegg]
Cooler Master 140mm Essentials 1,000 RPM Blue LED Fan (New) Price: $4.11 [Amazon]
COOLER MASTER R4-L2R-20AC-GP 120mm Blue LED Case Fan (New) Price: $7.99 [Newegg]
Cougar Vortex CF-V12H (New) Price: $13.99 [Newegg]
NZXT Sentry 2 touch fan controller (new) $24.99 [Newegg]

Dust Filters: Silverstone 120mm fan grille and filter kit SST-FF121 Qty:3 (New) Price: $11.96 [Newegg]

Other Various harware: $6.97 (New) [Varies]

Gaming Peripherals
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II USB 2.0 Illuminated Keyboard: FREE (brother gave to me kind of :p  for 30$....)

Mouse: Cobra PC wired optical gaming Blue LED 1600 DPI mouse (New) Price: $7.00 [Ebay]

That concludes all accessories and things that I bought and the PC build. For my monitors I'm using Dell P1130 CRT 20' Monitor and Viewsonic 15" LED VA520 (Dual monitors)

The Grand Total Price: $326.82
So if you could review this build for me that would be great I spent a lot of time and effort on it so you would really be helping me out here :)  Hope you enjoyed it and have a nice day oh

Thanx for looking :o 

I hope I didn't forget anything (Pretty sure I didn't)

For sound System i will Plugging in my Sony DAV-HDX274 5.1 channel system so no worries there. Also will be plugging this in to my Sony KV-32HS420 for 1080I HD movies

:bounce:  :pt1cable:  :hello:  :sol: 

More about : brand build age review

April 3, 2012 6:24:44 AM

Case - HAF 912 costs like $20 more, but its worth it over the Elite 430.

In general, there are a whole lot worse ways to spend $400 on a gaming computer.

That being said, the graphics card is definitely the weak link here.

I would suggest your first upgrade be saving up $100 (or less on ebay/craigslist/whatever) and getting a 6790 (used, preferably) or 6770 (new).
m
l
April 3, 2012 6:43:17 AM

Well I was going to get a radeon HD 6850 sO yeah but is all the other stuff good to go?
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2012 6:49:14 AM

My personal favorite is the 250GB HDD for $10. Tons of people are spending $100 on the hard drives nowadays (since the Thailand floods) and you've got a great buy there.

I would suggest more power than the 8800GTX, but it's great to start out with for only $10. But so long as you're planning on upgrading this come Black Friday this year (or with a Christmas gift), there's no downside to $10 for entry-level gaming performance.

The Phenom II x4 965 is not worth $105 on eBay. You can get it for $110 or so on Newegg...or at least the essentially equal 955BE. Although I would definitely pursue the Phenom II x4 960T instead since it's periodically $110 after Newegg sales.

I've seen better prices for the Hyper 212+, but $26 isn't bad.

The RAM is a bit slow and can be found for better prices on Amazon.com. Go for 1600CL9. Any G.Skill, Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin, Crucial, or Geil is good enough for me...and probably in that order. Given the option, you want to go for 1.5V RAM, but it won't matter a ton so long as you set it right in your bios. Sign up for Newegg.com's email list and buy whatever RAM goes on sale soon.

The case fans are a complete waste of money. Just buy a case that comes with them like the Haf 912.

But overall, you've found some very good prices. Most people do worse with their first list of parts.
m
l
Anonymous
April 3, 2012 6:53:56 AM

I wouldn't spend money on the fans and filters and put that money into a slightly better gpu, you can always add that later.
m
l
April 3, 2012 6:57:07 AM

A used hard drive? From Craigslist? Seems crazy :p 

Make sure you properly format the drive, you never know what type of things people put onto it.
m
l
April 3, 2012 6:59:51 AM

Btw, the 8800GTX uses two 6-pin power connectors. You'll need a some 4-pin to 6-pin adapter with that PSU.

I wasn't clear on whether or not you bought the parts yet. If you did, don't sweat it. None of them are bad.
m
l
April 3, 2012 7:00:58 AM

At $10, there's nothing wrong with getting started with that GPU or HDD. Just make sure you back up stuff that goes on an old HDD since failure rates after about 5 years of age get kinda high.
m
l
April 3, 2012 7:09:34 AM

I remember being 14, oh wait, I AM!! I have a GTX 560 Ti, P8Z68 mobo, i5 2550k, and 16GB RAM 1600MHz. Come @ me bro :p  1000w PSU. My penis has to be much larger than yours as I have a better computer.
m
l
April 3, 2012 7:21:34 AM

Wow you are a dick to all others thank you :)  yes I already bought all the necessary parts the processor comes is brand new for 103$ not bad and the fans look cool :)  bought a sleeved 4 pin molex to 6 pin. i will upgrade PSU and GPU later also will get more ram. Actualy the guy never used the drive he just gave itto me fr 10$ lol anyway thank you all :)  If I geta radeon hd 6850 this will be akiller gaming machine :)  so gonna upgrade ram gpu and psu later this year :)  :) 
m
l
April 3, 2012 7:52:38 AM

Greate first build. If you would of went all new at that price you'd of had to go with celeron g 530 dual core with a amd 6670. Your gpu and cpu are much better overall. The only thing that you missed out on is your mother doesn't support fx processors. The current ones aren't much of an upgrade over the phenom x6's but its the next gen fx parts could be worth an upgrade to. I would also suggest that you don't attempt to crossfire two gpu's even though you can. Your 4x pci express expansion can slow down performance buy quite a bit.
m
l
April 3, 2012 8:43:26 AM

Yes thank yrah wasnt planning n setting up crossfire one radeon hd 6850 is good enough for me. I plan to get anew mob maybetwo years from now and it will suport the latest processor. Anyways its inteded asa gamibg Computer so once I pit in te radeon hd 6850 I have a really nice gaming computer right now the 8800 gtx is ok it can handle skyrim I think. What about y PSU should I get t replaced it is only 430w with 28 amps on the 12v rail... So yeah thats the build the blue leds and keyboard and mouse will look really cOol!!! I'm so excited to get my processor in 4 days!!! Also the CM elite 430 has no cable management but I managed to work around it. And I was wondering my top left fan is pushing on my ram a tiny bit is that bad fpr the RAM?? I will post pictures when its all done. Ok so thanx everyone :)  :) 
m
l
April 3, 2012 1:18:39 PM

I wouldn't want to have a fan pushing on my RAM. That sounds like it would create problems eventually. If it was pushing it down into the slot more it probably wouldn't be that bad, but it sounds like it is pushing in a different direction.

It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to mount a thinner fan in that slot.
m
l
April 3, 2012 1:42:22 PM

ttg_Avenged said:
I remember being 14, oh wait, I AM!! I have a GTX 560 Ti, P8Z68 mobo, i5 2550k, and 16GB RAM 1600MHz. Come @ me bro :p  1000w PSU. My penis has to be much larger than yours as I have a better computer.

Hey Watch the language guys.... Admins are watching
m
l
April 3, 2012 1:43:02 PM

pdizzle said:
Wow you are a dick to all others thank you :)  yes I already bought all the necessary parts the processor comes is brand new for 103$ not bad and the fans look cool :)  bought a sleeved 4 pin molex to 6 pin. i will upgrade PSU and GPU later also will get more ram. Actualy the guy never used the drive he just gave itto me fr 10$ lol anyway thank you all :)  If I geta radeon hd 6850 this will be akiller gaming machine :)  so gonna upgrade ram gpu and psu later this year :)  :) 

Please Watch the language.... I know your 14 but please watch the language. Admins frown upon language
m
l
April 3, 2012 1:43:33 PM

Well it didnt really raise an eyebrow until I saw the total price. Thats pretty impressive given that amount!

EDIT: Opps, missed the beef. I may not be the oldest one on the forums, but kids, please try to act mature. You are giving adolescents a bad face.
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:43:52 PM

I agree, ttg_avenged has a long way to go before he figures out RL.
m
l
April 3, 2012 8:12:54 PM

Thats a nice built ....i wish i had more people on craig list on my city or even ebay to save on Shipping. I would have gone for the cooler master elite 431 with the usb 3.0 for extra 10 dlls. Also there on ne w egg there is a coolermaster case and psu for 79 dlls. the amd 965 sounds good i have at the moment a 9850 lol even older than th eone your getting and still runs some games ok like WoW. Actually i was sconsidering that case for my amd built , but decided if im going to build one i just go all out and built one around the 2500k chip for about 700 to 800's not including windows 7 and cpu cooler. Love the 6850 ..the only thing that dicuraged is al the posts on them said they act wierd on xfire ..and since i got two free 550ti's i will save more money for then i can get a gtx 680 ...or better(probably after summer).
its a nice built i would have done the same ..but i dont trust ebay to much lol ..I did see a Cosmos II case at the good will store the other day for 78 dlls ..So check your local Goodwill sore or salvation army one for stuff ..the darn thing was not there the next day ..lol ..that would have been my dream case lol ..i bet the store did not new what it had.
m
l
April 3, 2012 8:25:31 PM

\Wrong thread.
m
l
April 4, 2012 1:38:25 AM

pdizzle said:
Don't upgrade the RAM or PSU. The PSU is adequate for any graphics card you'll be using and...okay, maybe upgrade the RAM, but it won't be necessary for anything you'll be doing, shy of virtual machines.

I'd take a Phenom II x4 960T Zosma BE (unlockable to hexacore if you're even a little bit lucky) new from Newegg.com for $110 over a new eBay 965BE. If you don't unlock, they're essentially the same, only that the 960T comes with a normal retail warranty that you don't get on eBay. If you do unlock, you get two extra cores, which will end up handy in the long run.

EDIT: I see you already ordered the 965BE. I thought you were asking for advice BEFORE purchasing. Nevermind my above comments then and enjoy your build. Price/performance, it's impressive.
m
l
April 4, 2012 1:43:42 AM

Phyrexiancure said:
I would also suggest that you don't attempt to crossfire two gpu's even though you can. Your 4x pci express expansion can slow down performance buy quite a bit.
People have been saying this a lot lately, but everyone fails to provide a resource to support that claim. Can you provide something that indicates 16x/4x crossfire is an issue?

Because what I've seen indicates that even 4x/4x GTX 560Ti's wouldn't be limited: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/25/gtx_480_sli_p...

EDIT: Limits of PCI-e Gen 2 4x slots http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-scaling...
m
l
April 4, 2012 1:46:43 AM

rglaredo said:
Also there on ne w egg there is a coolermaster case and psu for 79 dlls.
I wouldn't want a Cooler Master PSU.
m
l
April 4, 2012 2:37:25 AM

Agreed with Dalauder, the x16/x8/x4 status of the PCIE slots doesn't have a huge effect on performance that I have heard.

In fact, x8/x8 is actually faster than x16/x16 a lot of the time, because x16/x16 requires using a special chip through which everything needs to be routed and it amounts to the information basically taking the scenic route through the computer rather than the most direct route used by x8/x8.

The capabilities of these slots are usually not the thing bottlenecked (kinda like how RAM speed isn't usually bottlenecked) so extra in those areas usually doesn't help that much if at all. Sometimes it can even be harmful.
m
l
April 4, 2012 10:41:41 PM

I'm closing this tab in my browser. PM me if you come back.
m
l
!