How to remove "accessibility" features under accessories?

My computer has very limited harddrive space and would like to remove
features of windows I am sure that I will not need to free up the space. A
few of the Windows component that I want to remove are: "accessibility" under
"accessories", movie maker, media player, outlook, remote assistance, and the
"tour windows xp" programme. I could remove some of the components stated
here in previous windows versions, i.e. 95, 98, 2000. But now I cant find a
way to do it in Window XP. I have tried using "Add or Remove Programs" under
"Control Panel". Please help. Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about remove accessibility features accessories

    Those components are Windows XP system components and
    are not designed to be removed. You need to consider
    purchasing a larger hard drive.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Martian" wrote:

    | My computer has very limited harddrive space and would like to remove
    | features of windows I am sure that I will not need to free up the space. A
    | few of the Windows component that I want to remove are: "accessibility" under
    | "accessories", movie maker, media player, outlook, remote assistance, and the
    | "tour windows xp" programme. I could remove some of the components stated
    | here in previous windows versions, i.e. 95, 98, 2000. But now I cant find a
    | way to do it in Window XP. I have tried using "Add or Remove Programs" under
    | "Control Panel". Please help. Thanks.

    First, thanks for replying. But I had managed to remove the accessibility
    features, like magnifier, in Windows 98. Cant the same be done in Windows XP?
    What about the "Tour Window" programs meant for people using Windows XP for
    the first time? Let's leave media player, movie maker out of the question for
    now. Thanks again.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Those components are Windows XP system components and
    > are not designed to be removed. You need to consider
    > purchasing a larger hard drive.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Martian" wrote:
    >
    > | My computer has very limited harddrive space and would like to remove
    > | features of windows I am sure that I will not need to free up the space. A
    > | few of the Windows component that I want to remove are: "accessibility" under
    > | "accessories", movie maker, media player, outlook, remote assistance, and the
    > | "tour windows xp" programme. I could remove some of the components stated
    > | here in previous windows versions, i.e. 95, 98, 2000. But now I cant find a
    > | way to do it in Window XP. I have tried using "Add or Remove Programs" under
    > | "Control Panel". Please help. Thanks.

    Remove Windows components that you are not using.

    From XP HELP:
    To add or remove a Windows component
    You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators
    group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to
    a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this
    procedure.

    Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
    Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
    Follow the instructions in the Windows Components Wizard.
    Notes

    To open Add or Remove Programs, click Start, point to Settings, click
    Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
    If an item is selected in the Windows Components Wizard, it has already been
    installed.
    If you installed Windows components without configuring them, a list of
    those components will appear. To configure a component, click Configure, and
    then follow the instructions on the screen.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:F9A182B4-FF86-4DA9-A45C-09028404D3B3@microsoft.com,
    Martian <Martian@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > First, thanks for replying. But I had managed to remove the
    > accessibility features, like magnifier, in Windows 98. Cant the same
    > be done in Windows XP? What about the "Tour Window" programs meant
    > for people using Windows XP for the first time? Let's leave media
    > player, movie maker out of the question for now. Thanks again.
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Those components are Windows XP system components and
    >> are not designed to be removed. You need to consider
    >> purchasing a larger hard drive.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >>
    >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    --------

    >> "Martian" wrote:
    >>
    >>> My computer has very limited harddrive space and would like to
    >>> remove features of windows I am sure that I will not need to free
    >>> up the space. A few of the Windows component that I want to remove
    >>> are: "accessibility" under "accessories", movie maker, media
    >>> player, outlook, remote assistance, and the "tour windows xp"
    >>> programme. I could remove some of the components stated here in
    >>> previous windows versions, i.e. 95, 98, 2000. But now I cant find a
    >>> way to do it in Window XP. I have tried using "Add or Remove
    >>> Programs" under "Control Panel". Please help. Thanks.

    Suggestion: Get a bigger hard drive and leave the native XP install be.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "Martian" <Martian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer has very limited harddrive space and would like to remove
    > features of windows I am sure that I will not need to free up the space. A
    > few of the Windows component that I want to remove are: "accessibility"
    > under
    > "accessories", movie maker, media player, outlook, remote assistance, and
    > the
    > "tour windows xp" programme. I could remove some of the components stated
    > here in previous windows versions, i.e. 95, 98, 2000. But now I cant find
    > way to do it in Window XP. I have tried using "Add or Remove Programs"
    > under
    > "Control Panel". Please help. Thanks.
  5. LMBO!!! Yes Martin...Those componants are designed to be a part of windows...If they annoy you, you should pack up your windows version (you know...the one you paid for) and send it back to Bill Gates...shipping on you! How dare you try to make your computer inaccessable to those less fortunate than you. You seem to be very flipant and stoic to the plight of those less fortunate than yourself. DO NOT MESS WITH THE SYSTEM!!! Uncle Bill will know....And Im sure he also knows about nLite...um...google it ;)
  6. ^ if you must answer a thread that is 5 YEARS OLD! at least take the time to read the posts and get peoples names right.

Configuration Accessories Windows XP