Kodak EasyShare software: searching, importing

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 14, 2005 7:13:39 PM

A local organization is using EasyShare software for their small photo
collection. I installed it to try to get an idea of what I was up
against in sending them photos and helping them manage their
collection. Couple of questions:

1) Does EasyShare have any search capabilities at all? I couldn't find
anything. How does one organize? Just albums and that's it? (BTW I use
Photoshop Album, now Photoshop Elements Organizer -- a mouthful there
-- so that's where I'm coming from.)

2) Is there any way I can get EasyShare to import the captions and tags
exported by PSE? I thought these were pretty standard -- for example,
ExifPro shows the PSE tags, and it shows the caption within the
ImageDescription tag. But from the same photo, EasyShare is showing
nothing for me.

I realize that I've only tried EasyShare for a few minutes and read the
help file quickly, so I might just be looking in the wrong place.

Thanks,

Edward
Art Works by Melynda Reid http://paleo.org
June 15, 2005 2:56:27 PM

Hi Ron, thanks ...

However, my second question was about importing metadata, not
exporting. In other words, I have photos in Adobe PSE3 with captions
and tags. PSE3 will export these captions and tags as metadata in JPEG
files when I use an explicit Export command. I will be sending my
exported photos to a local organization which is using EasyShare. The
question is then, Can they get EasyShare to import the captions and
tags which are in the file metadata? (The caption is in the
ImageDescription tag.)

I tried taking a photo exported by PSE3 and importing it into
EasyShare. It's on the same computer; no network issues. I know that
the image file contains the caption and tag metadata -- I examined it
using ExifPro -- but the metadata did not appear in EasyShare so far as
I could tell. Thus my coming here to ask, did EasyShare ignore this
metadata, or stash it somewhere that's not obvious to me, or is there
some command I can use to tell EasyShare to import the metadata? The
metadata is the standard method of communicating between various image
cataloging programs, so I expected EasyShare to import it, but after
the import I could not find it.

My other question was about searching. In PSE3, I can create tags and
assign multiple tags to each image. I can then search by a combination
of tags, for words in the caption or notes, and on several other
criteria. Does EasyShare have any way of searching for photos based on
data that I enter?

At this point, nothing else is relevant. I just want to get my photos
to them, with annotations. Relative merits of different programs are
not the issue, only how they can communicate with each other.

Edward
June 15, 2005 4:53:25 PM

> Anyone wanting EasyShare can find it "easy" enough
> on Kodak's web site.

Actually one cannot find a forum or any place to ask questions on
Kodak's web site. At least, I couldn't. I couldn't find the answers to
these questions there -- and I *did* look there first. But thanks for
reminding me that I had a third question:

3) Is there a forum anywhere dedicated to Kodak EasyShare software?

In any case, when I googled "Kodak EasyShare software", almost all the
hits in Usenet were in rec.photo.digital. Precedent doesn't make right,
but it's a useful indicator.

Edward
June 15, 2005 4:54:12 PM

Greetings Edward,

EasyShare does have some pretty useful tools. Like Adobe Elements, I have
and use it for some things as well, EasyShare is a cataloging software. It
needs to have the images on a local hard drive - not removeable media - and
the latest version will support a network source, i.e. if you are on a
network, you need to have access to that network all the time to find the
images. If you are blocked or only have access on occasion it will not
work. Basically, it needs to know where the images are located and if it
cannot find them it cannot use them. Remember the program is only pointing
to the images and adding addenda to the image in a separate file, i.e.
captions, and more. So, to your second question, the answer is no, you
cannot export that data to another system. It is not written to the header
of the file but to a file withing the EasyShare system.

Unlike the Adobe software ($150) EasyShare is free. The newest version is
pretty robust, it was released just a week ago. Here are several new
features and enhancements to EasyShare software 5.0 including the following:

-Access to the device in the My Computer window and in Windows Explorer has
been removed from this release of EasyShare software V5.0. You must now
select Tools > Sync and Transfer Manager to manage and configure the devices
you use with EasyShare software.

- Sync and Transfer Manager lets you configure and manage one or more
devices so they work with EasyShare software.

- Support for new file formats include GIF, PSD, TIFF-LZW, and KDC (RAW), a
proprietary RAW file format available on some Kodak EasyShare cameras.

- Video editing lets you trim videos (MOV and AVI file formats), add music,
and splice multiple videos into a single video.

- Enhanced editing features including automatic red-eye reduction, scene
balance, color balance, and scene effects. Fun Effects now includes a
Spotlight effect.

- Duplicate prevention checks pictures/videos being transferred from the
device with those already in your collection. If one or more pictures/videos
are already in your collection, they are not transferred to your hard disk.

- Email Setup lets you easily change your email service between Share Online
Albums and Email with Attachments. Email Setup is available in the Email
window and only in regions that offer Kodak EasyShare Gallery services.

- New Address Book functionality adds support for setting up groups.
Burn CD/DVD now supports burning pictures to DVD media and includes support
for driver support.

- Wireless printer dock connection is supported for some EasyShare printer
docks and on systems running the Windows XP operating system. Refer to your
User's Guide to see if your printer dock supports a wireless connection.
..
If you have any particular questions about EasyShare in the future, let me
know, I am glad to help you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

<edward@paleo.org> wrote in message
> A local organization is using EasyShare software for their small photo
> collection. I installed it to try to get an idea of what I was up
> against in sending them photos and helping them manage their
> collection. Couple of questions:
>
> 1) Does EasyShare have any search capabilities at all? I couldn't find
> anything. How does one organize? Just albums and that's it? (BTW I use
> Photoshop Album, now Photoshop Elements Organizer -- a mouthful there
> -- so that's where I'm coming from.)
>
> 2) Is there any way I can get EasyShare to import the captions and tags
> exported by PSE? I thought these were pretty standard -- for example,
> ExifPro shows the PSE tags, and it shows the caption within the
> ImageDescription tag. But from the same photo, EasyShare is showing
> nothing for me.
>
> I realize that I've only tried EasyShare for a few minutes and read the
> help file quickly, so I might just be looking in the wrong place.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Edward
> Art Works by Melynda Reid http://paleo.org

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 5:53:58 PM

Ronald Baird commented courteously...

> Greetings Edward,

Why not leave commercial messages out of this NG? Anyone wanting

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous

Greetings Mopar,

The poster asked about the program and what it could do as it was going to
be used by a group of people he was supporting. What I offered was to
answer the question asked, i.e. the poster is a new user and wanted to know
more about what the program could do.

> A local organization is using EasyShare software for their small photo
collection. I installed it to try to get an idea of what I was up against in
sending them photos and helping them manage their collection. Couple of
questions:

> 1) Does EasyShare have any search capabilities at all? I couldn't find
anything. How does one organize? Just albums and that's it? (BTW I use
Photoshop Album, now Photoshop Elements Organizer -- a mouthful there -- so
that's where I'm coming from.)

> 2) Is there any way I can get EasyShare to import the captions and tags
exported by PSE? I thought these were pretty standard -- for example,
ExifPro shows the PSE tags, and it shows the caption within the
ImageDescription tag. But from the same photo, EasyShare is showing nothing
for me.

> I realize that I've only tried EasyShare for a few minutes and read the
help file quickly, so I might just be looking in the wrong place.

> Thanks,

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:49:46 PM

Greetings Ed,

If you go to the Kodak home page and click on the 'Consumer Photography'
link you will find a secondary link to 'Support Center,' which offers a
number of other helpful links including one for EasyShare Software. From
that page choose the EasyShare Software Support options and you will find
many resources. In addition, you can try the link below for this same web
page.

http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

If you like you can choose the Interactive Troubleshooting and Repair. It
will walk you through a number of options.

For a more direct route to the support team you can choose Contact Us and
then Send an Email. There are a number of dynamic links that will get you to
a page where you can use our web tools or leave an email.

Of course, you can always ask me if you like :-) I share these options for
others that might have stopped to share. I am afraid there is no particular
forum or discussion area on the Kodak site. I had a forum on the Kodak web
site in the past but it came to naught at the time. There was also an image
sharing page on the site at another date. I will share your thoughts on this
as I know there is interest in trying this again.

AFAIK Kodak does not use the image header to add captions or get caption
information. Rather, we do not change the image or image header at all,
unless you want to save an edited image.

Talk to you soon, I am glad to follow through for you.

> > Anyone wanting EasyShare can find it "easy" enough
> > on Kodak's web site.
>
> Actually one cannot find a forum or any place to ask questions on
> Kodak's web site. At least, I couldn't. I couldn't find the answers to
> these questions there -- and I *did* look there first. But thanks for
> reminding me that I had a third question:
>
> 3) Is there a forum anywhere dedicated to Kodak EasyShare software?
>
> In any case, when I googled "Kodak EasyShare software", almost all the
> hits in Usenet were in rec.photo.digital. Precedent doesn't make right,
> but it's a useful indicator.
>
> Edward

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:57:00 PM

Hi Matt,

Yes, it is there. Go to the following page.

http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

On that page you will see an image of a little girl and next to it three
headings. The second heading states "Early Access V5 Now Available - Be the
first to experience the release of V5.0"

Click on that link to download and install the new version. You do not have
to install the updater if you do not want to, but it is simply a service
like that of Norton Antivirus or Microsfoft updates (I believe they use the
same service and technology to deliver their updates).

Anyway give it a try if you want the new software. Great with new features.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Matt" <m.t.day.ZZZ@ntlworld.com.ZZZ> wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:54:12 -0400, "Ronald Baird"
> <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote:
>
> >Unlike the Adobe software ($150) EasyShare is free. The newest version is
> >pretty robust, it was released just a week ago. Here are several new
> >features and enhancements to EasyShare software 5.0 including the
following:

> >-Access to the device in the My Computer window and in Windows Explorer
has
> >been removed from this release of EasyShare software V5.0. You must now
> >select Tools > Sync and Transfer Manager to manage and configure the
devices
> >you use with EasyShare software.
>

> EASYSHARE 5.0 ???
>
> Just checked the website - can only see 4.04 (Win) 4.06 (Mac) - I did
> refresh
>
> And of course, I refused install of the backweb updater...
> 1. I don't trust it
> 2. I don't see the point in having a waiting update service for
> something that is most unlikely to require urgent updates.
>
> --
> I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
> http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles
>
> If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!
June 17, 2005 1:48:36 AM

Thanks, Ron. OK ...

1) search -- still no answer? Shovld I take this to mean that EasyShare
has no way to search within an albvm, and no organizing method other
than albvms? I svppose yov can vse albvms to some extent, as I see that
yov can pvt a photo into mvltiple albvms. Bvt then yov can't have
nested albvms, and yov can't see the intersection or vnion of two
albvms, so it's of very limited help. BTW yes I looked all over the
Kodak web site before asking here, installed ES and read the help
files, and the qvestions I asked here are the ones I covld not find
answers for elsewhere. I even followed the link for prodvct manvals,
bvt sadly thovgh yov have manvals for the cameras, there seems to be
none for the software.

2) import metadata -- I gvess the answer is no, thovgh I haven't
figvred ovt why yov emphasize that ES doesn't alter the file -- I was
only asking abovt importing metadata from the image file into the
catalog. At any rate, ES *does* import the camera-related metadata --
for example, on the photos I imported into ES, it knows the date taken,
camera model, shvtter speed, apertvre, focal length, and other related
data. So it does import a lot of metadata, which is why I asked abovt
the caption.

3) forvms -- OK, clearly it's a no. Yes, good vser forvms is a hvge
advantage to some of the other programs in this category -- I'd
certainly recommend that yov try to reinstate it.

Edward
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 9:17:38 PM

Hi Matt,

No, not beta, that is complete. The program is available as noted while
adjustments for other parts of the world are in process. Essentially the
same thing but there are release issues depending on where you are in the
world as well as how the system distributes it. We are releasing the newest
V5 while also maintaining the earlier V4 version as people requested that in
the past. We listened to the user who requested it and wanted to see if this
will be valued by all. Since the work is complete for the US we released it
here first while working out regional issues for the rest of the world which
will be released soon. It is a complex process.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

!