First build - need advice

Ov_

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Hi

This is going to be my first build but I need help with a few things as I'm still unsure about some of parts and whether they're all compatible with each other. Although I've decided on most of the parts, I'm open for any suggestions if it will help improve the build and make it more future proof. The PC will be used mainly for gaming and I'm planning to OC to 4GHz - 4.20GHz. Maybe SLI/Crossfire in the future. Thanks

CPU: i5 2500k
Graphics : GTX 680 or 7970 (IF they ever low down the price)
Motherboard: Need advice (has to be standard ATX size)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB - 1600MHz
System Drive: Intel SSD 320 - 120GB
Storage: Western Caviar Green 2TB x 2
Optical Drive: Need advice for CD/DVD drive (unless anyone can recommend good Blu ray drives that are fairly cheap)
Case: Obsidian 550d
Power: Corsair AX750 or 850
Cooler: Corsair H100
Thinking about buying Noctua NF-F12 fans for the H100 and maybe replacing the stock fans for the case

americanbrian

Distinguished
do you really need 4TB of slow storage?

I would raid 0 some SSD's and lose the extra 2TB drive personally, but thats just me.

I am not a digital "hoarder". I do not produce my own movies or other large files (mostly cad drawings and documents which are very small). Anything else can always be downloaded if needed at a later date.

I guess what I am saying is that having a 240GB Raid 0 SSD array would be more appealing as I could then put more apps and some games on it and fly.

Some people like to "archive hardcore" everything they ever watch listen or look at. If thats you then I see the need for 4TB.

Ov_

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

Thanks for the replies. Very impressive though, didn't even consider the 7800s before. Few questions though.
1. Wouldn't it be more future proof to go with the GTX 680 or 7970 as I could SLI/Crossfire in the future?
2. Will the AX750 be enough, or would I have to go with the AX850?
3. Is it compatible with the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 motherboard?

Ov_

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Might pick up the HX750 instead, still haven't decided yet.

What about fans, I'm definitely going to pick up a couple of NF-F12s for the H100 but are they good as case fans or are there other ones that are just as good?

Also I'm considering the Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-GEN3 Intel Z68 motherboard, what do you guys think, will it work well with this build?