Sign in with
Your question

Creative X-Fi Platinum SB0460 - Experiencing freezes in Skyrim

Last response: in Components
July 16, 2012 9:54:41 PM

Specs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motherboard: nVidia nForce 780i
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.8Ghz
Graphics Card: GTX 560 Ti 2GB GDDR5
Memory: 8GB DDR2
Data: 1x SanDisk 120 GB SSD (Operating system, a handful of programs)
1x Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB (All other program files, windows users folder)
Sound card: Creative X-Fi Platinum SB0460
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue
Experiencing freezes during Skyrim Gameplay as demonstrated by this youtube user:

The game will randomly freeze up, ambient audio still going, and either crash to desktop, or just resume as it does in the video demonstration

Background
My PC was originally build fall of '08. Hence the dated mobo and RAM format. I recently upgraded the graphics card and purchased an SSD. I proceeded to reinstall windows on the SSD along with Steam and Skyrim. Other programs, and the windows users folder are hard-linked to directories on the 1TB HDD. This was all prior to getting the Creative X-Fi Platinum SB0460.

Skyrim ran beautifully. I installed a large list of mods, both gameplay and cosmetic, with no performance drops. My computer was handling it fine at high settings.

The last part of my upgrade came in the mail, the Creative X-Fi Platinum SB0460. I installed the card along with the official drivers from Creative. Shortly after, the issue from above arose. Random freezes making combat very difficult, and just generally irritating.

I assumed it was mods. So I disabled all of them. Still froze.
Booted up LatencyMon which reported the following:

"Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer under-runs appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines executed by a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in control panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates."

So it seemed like an issue with the sound card or it's drivers.
Made sure to disable the on-board audio via bios. Still froze.
Tried a user created driver set created to combat bugs with creative's drivers (located here ) still froze.
Completely removed and uinstalled the new sound card, re-enabled on-board sound. Still froze.
Completely removed Skyrim and reinstalled. Still freezes on a 100% vanilla install.

Today I tried booting up Deus Ex Human Revolution to make sure it was just skyrim experiencing this issue, which I confirmed. DEHR seems to run perfectly fine.

So I'm a bit lost now. Any help is appreciated, just let me know if there's any other info you may need.

July 17, 2012 8:12:15 PM

Maybe a reinstall of the video, sound drivers. Update DirectX, set lowest settings in Skyrim, try removing the NVidia card and if anything of this doenst work... reintsall Skyrim.

Good Luck!
m
l
September 26, 2012 5:50:02 AM

Some major PC issues made this response loooong overdue. Circumstances were coincidental. Sound card works fine, nothing wrong there, same goes for video card. After some digging, it seems like the more frequently you much about with mods, the larger your saves get, which in turn slows down Skyrim. Or at least that's what I read. Created a new character, and started over. Problem solved. Not totally ideal, but not bad either. It's always good to get a fresh start in TES V.
m
l
!