Sign in with
Your question

Passive 3d LG Cinema Gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2012 7:07:29 PM

So after alot of research I believe I want to make my computer 3D capable. I know there is the active 3D and 3D vision, but I want to use passive 3D like LG Cinema which uses the polarized glasses. The big question I want to ask is do you have to have a 3D ready graphics card for passive 3D?????? I know you do for active 3D but its a hole different thing. With active 3D it is using a shutter and high refresh rates to give you the image. Passive is just interlacing the image and giving each eye half of it. Sadly I cannot find this information anywhere everyone just says "Nvidia 3D vision requires a 3D ready graphics card and for HD3D ati graphics you need a HD3D graphics card" but again those are for active 3D. If you have a current passive 3D setup or know about passive 3D I would love to know because I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.

More about : passive cinema gaming

a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 7:35:41 PM

I actually own an LG Cinema 3D TV as well!

From what I have found, the best thing to do is use Nvidia's 3DTV Play. Here is the link:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html

What this does is it allows you to use an Nvidia Graphics card, and hook it up to your 3DTV. You use the glasses that came with the 3D, NOT Nvidia 3D Vision glasses, those are only used for Nvidia 3D Vision monitors.

You can check and see if your TV is supported, and if you have a supported graphics card.

Unfortunately, there is a limitation of 3DTV Play. You must use 720p as opposed to 1080p. Due to the limited bandwidth of HDMI, you can only play games a 720p if you want 60 frames. 1080p will only give you 24 frames, and is therefor only for movie watching.

You must purchase the 3DTV Play software from Nvidia for $40.

I have not used this yet myself, as I am waiting to buy a new Nvidia graphics card when the 600 series releases.

As for AMD, they have a way to do 3D to, but I am not sure if it supports 3DTV's, or LG Tv's. From what I have found Nvidia has much better 3D support, and doesn't rely on 3rd part companies for software, like AMD does.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'll do my best to answer, but I am still learning about the world of 3D and all of it's features.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 7:56:03 PM

AMD's newer drivers allow frame packing allowing 30fps on hdmi at 1080p, not sure which hdmi version is required to use this however. I'm not sure which TV's are actually supported with HD3D but there are a good portion of passive tv's supported.
m
l
Related resources
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 8:02:43 PM

trogdor796 said:
I actually own an LG Cinema 3D TV as well!

From what I have found, the best thing to do is use Nvidia's 3DTV Play. Here is the link:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html

What this does is it allows you to use an Nvidia Graphics card, and hook it up to your 3DTV. You use the glasses that came with the 3D, NOT Nvidia 3D Vision glasses, those are only used for Nvidia 3D Vision monitors.

You can check and see if your TV is supported, and if you have a supported graphics card.

Unfortunately, there is a limitation of 3DTV Play. You must use 720p as opposed to 1080p. Due to the limited bandwidth of HDMI, you can only play games a 720p if you want 60 frames. 1080p will only give you 24 frames, and is therefor only for movie watching.

You must purchase the 3DTV Play software from Nvidia for $40.

I have not used this yet myself, as I am waiting to buy a new Nvidia graphics card when the 600 series releases.

As for AMD, they have a way to do 3D to, but I am not sure if it supports 3DTV's, or LG Tv's. From what I have found Nvidia has much better 3D support, and doesn't rely on 3rd part companies for software, like AMD does.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'll do my best to answer, but I am still learning about the world of 3D and all of it's features.

Is your LG TV using active shutter glasses? The limitations you describe are consistent with shutter glasses.

With the passive glasses, I do not believe there is a requirement of having 120hz (60hz per eye), because they will run at 60 hz and just display half the pixels on one eye, and half to the other. The result is a low resolution image, but doesn't have any ghosting at least.

If the Nvidia drivers won't work with your monitor, I'm certain either IZ3D or Tridef will work.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 8:17:53 PM

bystander said:
Is your LG TV using active shutter glasses? The limitations you describe are consistent with shutter glasses.

With the passive glasses, I do not believe there is a requirement of having 120hz (60hz per eye), because they will run at 60 hz and just display half the pixels on one eye, and half to the other. The result is a low resolution image, but doesn't have any ghosting at least.

If the Nvidia drivers won't work with your monitor, I'm certain either IZ3D or Tridef will work.

I believe it depends on how they implimented the passive 3d
I think i heard the iZ3d tv's (cheap but no longer being made) used two overlapping screens with a filter. Not entirely sure of this or how it works, just saying what i heard. In a case like that it would have to provide 60 frames to 2 screens. I kind of doubt the credibility of what i heard though :p 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 8:18:57 PM

No, my set is Cinema(Passive) 3D.

All TV's, no matter if they are active or passive 3D, are limited to 720p 60hz and 1080p 24hz. This is because an HDMI cable cannot carry enough bandwidth to support higher.

The reason monitors are capable of doing this is because of Dual Link DVI and Displayport.
m
l
January 26, 2012 8:19:50 PM

Keep this thread going. The OP's in the same boat i am. Any info on it all would be appreciated. Here's what i know.

I work at wal-mart and we have a 47' LG cinema TV that comes with 4 sets of glasses for "Passive 3D". I know the resolution is half but if you get the change check one out because its the best 3D TV I've ever saw.

My questions are on the same line as the OP's Except i've yet to buy a 3D TV.

How can i set up my computer to play 3D Movies with "Passive" instead of "Active". Active as way to many issues that i don't want to deal with. I know they are sharper but i don't care about that because of the convience of Passive.

I'm using a 460GTX it has 3d Options, but will Nvidia be forcing me to use there active setup. That would be a stroke against Nvidia if they do. It would make me jump ship to AMD if that was the case.

Next question is can we use the PS3's 3D setup with the LG 47' Setup in Passive? I'm not sure if Xbox has one if they do the same question applies.

If the answers are no, I would like references to your sources unless you actually have tried these setups then just let us know that.

I'm not trying to highjack this post but there's lack of information online about this and i'm in the market for a new 3D setup and need to know the answers to these questions. If there are none, i'm waiting for some 3D standards to be chosen rather then wasting my money on a 3DTV.

Anyone with any relevant feel free to comment.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 8:22:04 PM

trogdor796 said:

All TV's, no matter if they are active or passive 3D, are limited to 720p 60hz and 1080p 24hz. This is because an HDMI cable cannot carry enough bandwidth to support higher.

The reason monitors are capable of doing this is because of Dual Link DVI and Displayport.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-driver-upda...
1.4a hdmi is capable of 30hz 3d at 1080p

Quote:
AMD HD3D technology support enhancement

· Enables support for AMD HD3D technology in conjunction with AMD CrossFireX configurations

· Delivers a new Stereo 3D mode over HDMI 1.4a connections - 1080p at 30Hz is now enabled on supported displays.

m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 8:26:32 PM

trogdor796 said:

Edit: I didn't pay attention to the passive/active requirement. That said, I've seen a number of posts that disagree when it comes to passive. Passive systems simply post a single image where one eye sees half the image, and the other eye sees the other half. There is no good reason they'd not have the bandwidth to show it, unless they had double the normal pixel count so both eyes do get a crisp image.

Edit 2: I wonder if the reason is due to Nvidia's software limitations. The people who are claiming 60hz are using tridef software.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 8:28:10 PM

omega21xx said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-driver-upda...
1.4a hdmi is capable of 30hz 3d at 1080p

Quote:
AMD HD3D technology support enhancement

· Enables support for AMD HD3D technology in conjunction with AMD CrossFireX configurations

· Delivers a new Stereo 3D mode over HDMI 1.4a connections - 1080p at 30Hz is now enabled on supported displays.

Ya, that's a new change that took place this month, but 30hz still sucks.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 8:30:33 PM

bystander said:
Ya, that's a new change that took place this month, but 30hz still sucks.

Yeah, i was just providing corrected information. 30hz sucks, but it is a hell of alot more playable than 24...
m
l
January 26, 2012 9:32:03 PM

Well it seems like you all have an abundance of information but what I really want to know is whether a standard non 3D ready graphics card would be able to produce 3D images in a passive 3D setup. I see one person mentioned the same thing that I believe and that is the it should be able to since it is just producing an image that is received by both eyes differently. I am using an ATI Radeon 4890 and has relatively the same capabilities as a Nvidia 550ti in every category except resolution but for a single monitor I can use a dual DVI to boost that. So again the question is can you setup a Passive 3D system with any graphics card so long as it is powerful enough even if it is not "3D ready"??
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 9:46:23 PM

kilcondlost said:
Well it seems like you all have an abundance of information but what I really want to know is whether a standard non 3D ready graphics card would be able to produce 3D images in a passive 3D setup. I see one person mentioned the same thing that I believe and that is the it should be able to since it is just producing an image that is received by both eyes differently. I am using an ATI Radeon 4890 and has relatively the same capabilities as a Nvidia 550ti in every category except resolution but for a single monitor I can use a dual DVI to boost that. So again the question is can you setup a Passive 3D system with any graphics card so long as it is powerful enough even if it is not "3D ready"??

It's really up to the drivers, it may not have been 3D ready when it came out. The chance they added 3D to the card is slim though because It's one of the incentives to upgrade.
m
l
January 26, 2012 9:54:36 PM

Well Omega that is and is not true because all of the 3D ready graphics cards say theyre 3D Vision and HD3D ready which is Nvidias and ATIs active 3D which means they have the drivers needed for active 3D. They never say they are passive 3D ready or not. The 3rd party drivers out there say they can do active 3D and they require active 3D ready graphics cards but they also do passive 3D but dont list any requirements.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 10:06:58 PM

kilcondlost said:

For AMD, you need the 5000 series or newer for at least the active 3D. However, I'm not as certain with the passive system. Also, a normal monitor cannot do the polarized passive systems that use movie theater glasses. Those require special monitors that can polarize the pixels differently so that each eye can see a different image. However, any monitor can do anaglyph 3D, but those use the old school blue/red glasses, which limit the colors you can see.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2012 11:10:10 PM

kilcondlost said:
Well Omega that is and is not true because all of the 3D ready graphics cards say theyre 3D Vision and HD3D ready which is Nvidias and ATIs active 3D which means they have the drivers needed for active 3D. They never say they are passive 3D ready or not. The 3rd party drivers out there say they can do active 3D and they require active 3D ready graphics cards but they also do passive 3D but dont list any requirements.

What i was trying to point out is that "3d ready" is just slapped on. It's something that is implemented through software, AMD and NVIDIA would not add features to GFX cards past their life cycle. What i was saying had nothing to do with whether a card supported active 3d or passive based on a label.
m
l
January 27, 2012 12:13:09 AM

I got you. Sorry I was mistaken.
m
l
January 27, 2012 12:14:52 AM

bystander said:
For AMD, you need the 5000 series or newer for at least the active 3D. However, I'm not as certain with the passive system. Also, a normal monitor cannot do the polarized passive systems that use movie theater glasses. Those require special monitors that can polarize the pixels differently so that each eye can see a different image. However, any monitor can do anaglyph 3D, but those use the old school blue/red glasses, which limit the colors you can see.

Yes I am planning on getting the monitor and thats why I want to know about the graphics card. I dont want to go buy a new Passive Display only to find out that I needed the graphics card to go along with it because if thats the case I would just buy an active 3D setup. But through all of my searching I cannot find a single source to tell me if I need a 5000+ series ATI graphics card with hd3d enabled to run on a passive display.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 12:25:16 AM

The best bet is to not chance it, Support on older cards stop and if you were to have a problem somewhere you would be pretty much SOL. Passive displays are typically cheaper since they don't require 120hz or exspensive glasses, so if you could find it in your budget you could get yourself a passive display and use the money saved from choosing passive and selling the card you have to get a new one. Just an idea but i see how it'd be a little much.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 2:52:29 AM

dormantreign said:
Keep this thread going. The OP's in the same boat i am. Any info on it all would be appreciated. Here's what i know.

I work at wal-mart and we have a 47' LG cinema TV that comes with 4 sets of glasses for "Passive 3D". I know the resolution is half but if you get the change check one out because its the best 3D TV I've ever saw.

My questions are on the same line as the OP's Except i've yet to buy a 3D TV.

How can i set up my computer to play 3D Movies with "Passive" instead of "Active". Active as way to many issues that i don't want to deal with. I know they are sharper but i don't care about that because of the convience of Passive.

I'm using a 460GTX it has 3d Options, but will Nvidia be forcing me to use there active setup. That would be a stroke against Nvidia if they do. It would make me jump ship to AMD if that was the case.

Next question is can we use the PS3's 3D setup with the LG 47' Setup in Passive? I'm not sure if Xbox has one if they do the same question applies.

If the answers are no, I would like references to your sources unless you actually have tried these setups then just let us know that.

I'm not trying to highjack this post but there's lack of information online about this and i'm in the market for a new 3D setup and need to know the answers to these questions. If there are none, i'm waiting for some 3D standards to be chosen rather then wasting my money on a 3DTV.

Anyone with any relevant feel free to comment.

If you use Nvidia's "3DTV Play" software, you will use whatever method your TV uses to get 3D. So, with an LG passive set you would use the TV's glasses and passive 3D. If you had like a Sony Bravia with active glasses, then the 3D TV Play would use active. It's just whatever kind of TV you use with it. It uses the TV's technology, the software is all Nvidia is doing with 3DTV Play, it can't force your passive TV to use active 3D at all.

Yes, you can in fact use the PS3's 3D with the LG Passive sets. I believe Sony and the PS3 support any kind of 3D TV. I play PS3 3D Games all the time on my LG Cinema 3D set. Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 are my favorite, they look great!
m
l
January 28, 2012 6:55:39 AM

trogdor796 said:
If you use Nvidia's "3DTV Play" software, you will use whatever method your TV uses to get 3D. So, with an LG passive set you would use the TV's glasses and passive 3D. If you had like a Sony Bravia with active glasses, then the 3D TV Play would use active. It's just whatever kind of TV you use with it. It uses the TV's technology, the software is all Nvidia is doing with 3DTV Play, it can't force your passive TV to use active 3D at all.

Yes, you can in fact use the PS3's 3D with the LG Passive sets. I believe Sony and the PS3 support any kind of 3D TV. I play PS3 3D Games all the time on my LG Cinema 3D set. Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 are my favorite, they look great!

Thanks for that info. I'll be picking up a new LG soon then.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 25, 2012 5:43:07 PM

This topic has been reopen by Mousemonkey
m
l
!