Sign in with
Your question

Will these components work?!?! (first build)

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2012 10:25:07 AM

hi, this is my first build ever and have done research and decided on these components. I'd like to know if they are fully compatible (i think they are), if it will fit in the case and if i'd be better off with different components. I will be using this pc for gaming, running bf3 on best or there about graphic settings.

CPU- AMD FX 6100
GPU- Gigabyte radeon hd 6850
MOBO- asus m5a97 evo
RAM- G.SKILL Sniper low voltage series 8 gb (2 x 4gb)
HDD- western digital caviar blue 500gb
optical drive- ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

More about : components work build

April 3, 2012 10:50:02 AM

PCN00B said:
hi, this is my first build ever and have done research and decided on these components. I'd like to know if they are fully compatible (i think they are), if it will fit in the case and if i'd be better off with different components. I will be using this pc for gaming, running bf3 on best or there about graphic settings.

CPU- AMD FX 6100
MOBO- asus m5a97 evo

Question 1 = Yes
Question 2 = ? (You didn't tell us the case).
Question 3 = Yes. You'd be better off with these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and IMO these:
but either way don't forget one of these:
April 3, 2012 11:05:03 AM

soz i forgot alot of things. case- Raidmax aeolus vl version psu- any 750 watt psu i find on a uk site and will i be able to overclock the psu to nearer 4 ghz without an aftermarket heat sink fan just using the case fans 3 intake 3 outtake
Related resources
April 3, 2012 11:07:11 AM

oh and id like to build for under £500 so thats why im going amd cause it alot cheaper. (i'm forgetting alot of things today)
April 3, 2012 11:36:19 AM

PCN00B said:
soz i forgot alot of things. case- Raidmax aeolus vl version psu- any 750 watt psu i find on a uk site and will i be able to overclock the psu to nearer 4 ghz without an aftermarket heat sink fan just using the case fans 3 intake 3 outtake

First things first.
I would never suggest overclocking without a good CPU cooler. Hyper 212 ('s) are good.
Your case choice is fine. I like the haf 912 myself.
Staying within your budget is important these days. While not my choices your selections will accomplish what you want them to do.
Last but not least do not just buy any 750 watt PSU! More problems are caused by cheap and faulty PSU's than most anything else. Get a good name brand model (Antec, Corsair, Seasonic -etc.) you won't regret it. Good luck with your build.
April 3, 2012 12:03:48 PM

PCN00B said:

CPU- AMD FX 6100
MOBO- asus m5a97 evo

What is your budget and can you buy from newegg? I'm asking you because Bulldozer cpu's are crap compared to Sandy Bridge, and i'd recommend a SB build but i gotta know your budget before i recommend parts.
Also, what's your current PSU?
April 3, 2012 12:16:36 PM

unknown_13 said:
What is your budget and can you buy from newegg? I'm asking you because Bulldozer cpu's are crap compared to Sandy Bridge, and i'd recommend a SB build but i gotta know your budget before i recommend parts.
Also, what's your current PSU?

He gave you his budget. Under 500#'s.
April 3, 2012 1:03:36 PM

Then an i3-2120 + Asus P8H61-M will fit into his budget, a lot better choice than an Bulldozer build. The mobo is low end but the i3 won't overclock anyways.
April 3, 2012 1:36:06 PM

unknown_13 said:
Then an i3-2120 + Asus P8H61-M will fit into his budget, a lot better choice than an Bulldozer build. The mobo is low end but the i3 won't overclock anyways.

That's why I recommended what I did (before I knew what the budget was).
April 3, 2012 1:39:12 PM

i think for price/performance and to cope with games my best bet is probably the fx 6100 but thanks for you advice anyway :)  and i can buy from newegg its not much of a problem. Chaz do u know a good retailer for psu's that has the uk 3 prong plug and a bit of a side question i think i know the answer but do psu's come with a ac power cord? thanks again for everyone's advice it has really helped
April 3, 2012 1:50:03 PM

PCN00B said:
i think for price/performance and to cope with games my best bet is probably the fx 6100 but thanks for you advice anyway :)  and i can buy from newegg its not much of a problem. Chaz do u know a good retailer for psu's that has the uk 3 prong plug and a bit of a side question i think i know the answer but do psu's come with a ac power cord? thanks again for everyone's advice it has really helped

Good ones come with the cord. Look this site over:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=7...
I'm not all that familiar with UK suppliers. Hope the site helps.
April 3, 2012 2:22:49 PM

For games your better off going with a Phenom II 965 but you would need a cooler because the fan is loud and you'll wish you did. If you can save $20 by going with 2x2gb ram that would get you a 6870. Thats my advice.
April 3, 2012 2:31:50 PM

Hydroc10 said:
For games your better off going with a Phenom II 965 but you would need a cooler because the fan is loud and you'll wish you did. If you can save $20 by going with 2x2gb ram that would get you a 6870. Thats my advice.

I would agree with your choice of CPU over the FX 6100 but I'd keep the RAM.
April 3, 2012 5:44:20 PM

Chaz21 said:
I would agree with your choice of CPU over the FX 6100 but I'd keep the RAM.

I agree, if he/she lol needs to save a little to get the PII then I'd drop to 4gig. It's hard to reccomend 4gigs of ram these days. Peace.
April 3, 2012 6:35:45 PM

hmm i see ur point but the 1100t isnt in stock anywhere and the 1045t only runs at 2.7 ghz i read the review on this site http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18374... and it appears in multi threaded applications it does a bit better so its a bit of a toss up but i think i'll go with the fx cause its unlocked and easily over clockable, that and i've based al my other choices around it but thanks for the help and i'll just chance it. btw anyone know a good aftermarket cpu cooler thx :) 
April 3, 2012 6:44:02 PM

PCN00B said:
hmm i see ur point but the 1100t isnt in stock anywhere and the 1045t only runs at 2.7 ghz i read the review on this site http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18374... and it appears in multi threaded applications it does a bit better so its a bit of a toss up but i think i'll go with the fx cause its unlocked and easily over clockable, that and i've based al my other choices around it but thanks for the help and i'll just chance it. btw anyone know a good aftermarket cpu cooler thx :) 

April 3, 2012 6:44:38 PM

FX sucks. Poorly optimized. An i3-2120 will kick its arse any day of the week in gaming.
April 3, 2012 7:07:54 PM

thanks chaz will prob be gettin it now. azeem gaming is mostly multi threaded it is pretty good http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18374... and way easier to overclock, could u give me some reasons that have some foundations to them as to why i should change to an i3 system rather than just "fx suck"
April 3, 2012 7:13:16 PM

Gaming is not multithreaded. Only a handful of games are, and bf3 isn't one of them.
April 3, 2012 7:16:54 PM

ok my bad did not know that but will i see a considerable difference while playing bf3 between the 2
April 3, 2012 7:17:56 PM

And I always thought that the GPU is what mattered the most!
April 3, 2012 7:20:18 PM

i thought that aswell but i guess the cpu would be a factor aswell. oh btw chaz do u know what kind of settings battlefield will be able to run with using the radeon hd 6850?
April 3, 2012 7:30:43 PM

yes but sadly not the results i was hoping for u know a gpu for around the same price £20 more at tops probs that would deliver better performance
April 3, 2012 7:40:41 PM

PCN00B said:
oh and id like to build for under £500 so thats why im going amd cause it alot cheaper. (i'm forgetting alot of things today)

What the first poster said, go with him. Intel, sorry if your a fanboy, is greater than AMD BUT! Only for the higher budgets. AMD FX 6100 is a damn good chip, just expect to buy a fan because the stock's are garbage. (You might even have to UNERclock lol.) Also honestly did you pick that due to 6 cores? Not one single game is optimized for 6-core and wont be until late 2013 or early 2014. Your graphics card will handle BF3 @ 60fps @ medium-high settings. NOT ultra. I have a 560 Ti and only get 46FPSish oc'ed. What you have, if your chuck it into a case, yup it will turn on. Have fun building as it is a great learning experience. I just built this 1300$ beast last last weekend.
April 3, 2012 8:27:25 PM

right i've decided im gonna save up a bit longer and get the radeon hd 6870 so i don't end up buying a new gpu in 2 months and waste money. ttg avenged are u sayin i should buy intel or amd im confused and yeah i thought i should get the 6 core instead of the quad cause i thought it would be better and the standard in the future i want this pc to last me a good 5 years before i replace it
April 3, 2012 8:36:29 PM

PCN00B said:
right i've decided im gonna save up a bit longer and get the radeon hd 6870 so i don't end up buying a new gpu in 2 months and waste money. ttg avenged are u sayin i should buy intel or amd im confused and yeah i thought i should get the 6 core instead of the quad cause i thought it would be better and the standard in the future i want this pc to last me a good 5 years before i replace it

I think we're all telling you that but as I told you above get what you want - what makes you happy.
April 4, 2012 10:54:57 AM

what makes me happy is a pc that will be able to run the games that come out in a year in top graphic detail but that is under £500 changing the video card to a slightly more expensive one that's in budget and will deliver what i want is perfect so thanks to everyone for there advice.
April 4, 2012 11:05:00 AM

PCN00B said:
what makes me happy is a pc that will be able to run the games that come out in a year in top graphic detail but that is under £500 changing the video card to a slightly more expensive one that's in budget and will deliver what i want is perfect so thanks to everyone for there advice.

I hope this thread helped you. Good luck with your build.
April 4, 2012 1:27:53 PM

one last thing chaz i've decided to go with the antec hcp-750 at pc world as a power supply but thanks for your suggestion http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/antec-hcp-750-atx-psu-750... and thanks you've been a real help. ps is their a way i can help you like rank up on the forums. anyway cheers ps how do i close the forums now??
April 4, 2012 3:22:11 PM

PCN00B said:
one last thing chaz i've decided to go with the antec hcp-750 at pc world as a power supply but thanks for your suggestion http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/antec-hcp-750-atx-psu-750... and thanks you've been a real help. ps is their a way i can help you like rank up on the forums. anyway cheers ps how do i close the forums now??

It looks good and Antec is a good name. I think the thread is closed after you pick a best answer. I'm happy if I was any help to you. Good luck to you and with your build.
April 5, 2012 11:07:26 AM

thanks johnpaul i was struggling to find uk retailers :) 
April 5, 2012 11:50:51 AM

after reading this i think chaz deserve the golden sticker.

Imo even at 1920x1080 resolution the 6850 at medium to high or mixed with both should fair very well.

and if your gaming on lower resolution even at ultra it should play fine on bf3
April 5, 2012 6:25:39 PM

i agree with you tavo nova but i want this pc to last me 4 -5 years so im best going with a graphic card that will still preform well in future games and the 6850 will become obsolete before the 6870 so i'm saving money in the long run
April 5, 2012 7:53:18 PM

PCN00B said:
i agree with you tavo nova but i want this pc to last me 4 -5 years so im best going with a graphic card that will still preform well in future games and the 6850 will become obsolete before the 6870 so i'm saving money in the long run

Saving money (even in the long run) is always a good thing. :D 
Anonymous
May 14, 2012 5:37:42 PM

hi im you havnt built already go the FX 6200 instead a little bit more but higher power out and can overclock a lil higher with less stress on the cpu and will be more stable
!