HELP! My CPU is running ultra hot!

brandon514

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Hello,
I recently build a new computer and I noticed it has been freezing from time to time and my music has been skipping, likes it's about to freeze or something. I'm not overclocking or anthing like that and I have a top mounted fan, and a back mounted fan.

I have a 500 watt PSU, 3750 K i5 processor, and a GTX 560 2gb GPU by Zotac. I was downloading Shogun Total War 2 and playing some music when it started skipping and freezing. When I checked the Bios for the cpu temperature it said 95 C/ 203 F.

What's going on?!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It may be that your factory heat sync isn't mounted correctly. It may not be making good contact with the CPU's heat spreader. I'd check and make sure the cooler's feet are flush to the motherboard and that the black push pins are fully through the white posts and that the white post are expanded properly on the backside of the board.

You may want to remove the heat sync and re-install it, making sure to do it correctly:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2677

strife_ff7

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
First see if the cpu cooler fan is working. If it is working then reinstall the cpu cooler and use new paste when reinstalling it. My i5 2500k was at 90c reinstalled my cooler now temps are around 36c.