Sign in with
Your question

POST but won't boot

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 12:09:38 PM

Hello Tom's Hardware folks!

So I had a few issues with my new P67 motherboard so unfortunately I have to RMA it. So I figured I'd cannibalize the H70 from that build to send it to my HTPC in the living room that recently had it's obscure 100mm HSF fan stop working.

I am using an Antec Fusion HTPC case in the living room and it turns out it is HORRIBLE for the H70. So after 3 hours of modification I had it all back together and in the living room(this is at about 4 AM)

I turn it on, lights come on looks good. It seems to post fine but doesn't get to windows, just a black screen. So I restart and this time try to get into BIOS. No joy, can't get into BIOS now matter when/how I press DEL.

Hummmm... that sucks.

So today I re-attach. Look over connectors etc. I reset the CMOS, still no luck. So just on a hunch I disconnect the IDE CD-ROM. BAM immediate POST, BIOS access and normal Windows boot.

So I am making this thread to help anyone out there that MIGHT have this problem.

Incoming search parameters!

BIOS, NO POST, Boot, black screen, CMOS reset, computer won't start

Thanks for listening!

More about : post boot

a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 12:11:07 PM

Also I got the Noctua NH-D14 for the i5-2500k build! WOOT! Yay for veiled upgrades using the HTPC as an excuse!
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 12:43:39 PM

on the cd-rom did you miss a row of pins when you were putting the pc back together or did you miss one end of the pins and bend/short them out. i have sen ide device hang a the bus before but most time with a cd-rom drive it the laser that fails and not the ide controller.
April 3, 2012 12:53:14 PM

It could also be a conflict if running a SATA HDD in "IDE mode" as SATA don't have CS/SLAVE/MASTER as it is presumed to be alone on the channel.
!