Sign in with
Your question

Looking for advice on the build of my new gaming computer

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2012 1:20:18 PM

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a new computer and would like some advice from the people on this forum before I order (I have been reading through here while planning the build and you guys seem to know your stuff).

First of all, note that I will not be building the computer myself - I will be ordering a custom-built computer from palicomp uk. As a result of this, only certain parts are available to me. For example I am limited with available forms of cooling (the site has made available most of the prebuilt water cooling things (Kuhler 620, 920, H60, H80, H100), but air cooling fans are a bit more limited). If you want to see what is available, please check this link;

http://www.palicomp.co.uk/gaming-pcs/intel-gaming-pcs/p...

The i5 2500k will be overclocked to 4.5GHz (the site says 4.8, but I'm going to ask them to only go to 4.5, just to be safe)

INTEL SANDYBRIDGE CPU - Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30Ghz 6MB L3 CACHE
CPU COOLING: ANTEC KUHLER H2O 620 WATER COOLING
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P8Z68-V With Z68 Chipset
DDR3 MEMORY: MASSIVE 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 DUAL CHANNEL KIT
SOLID STATE HDD (SSD): No Solid State Hard Drive
MASTER HARD DRIVE: 2TB (2000GB) SATA3 - 6Gp/s, 7200 RPM & 32MB Cache
MASTER OPTICAL DRIVE: SAMSUNG 12X Blu-Ray & DVD+/-RW COMBO All In One
NEW GRAPHICS CARDS: ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB
CASES: COOLERMASTER HAF 932 Advanced Black Case With Red LED
PSU: 850W Power Supply Unit
SOFTWARE: NEW OS - WINDOWS 7 PREMIUM 64BIT
MONITOR: 24 inch ASUS VS247H LED, HDMI, HD 1920x1080, 5MS
SOUND CARD: ONBOARD Standard Min 5.1 Or 7.1

What I wanted to ask you all about is the following;

- The PSU - The lowest available for this custom built comp is 850W. From what I've read here, that might be overkill with the one graphics card. However, in the future, I may want to buy a second 6970 to run in crossfire, once the single 6970 is no longer good enough. Is 850W good enough for this computer to run the two cards in crossfire, plus the overclocked CPU, etc?

- CPU cooling - is the Kuhler 620 good enough at cooling to run the 2500k at 4.5GHz? I've read it's better at cooling than the H60 and is cheaper. Also, I don't really want to go for the H80 as I've heard it can get pretty loud. Is this true? Will any of the air coolers be good enough for the 2500k at 4.5GHz without letting it get too hot?

- Solid State Drive - I've seen that a lot of guys here go for SSDs as well as the storage hard drive. I've decided not to as I don't think the price to be worth the few extra GB, even if they are fast. Is this a mistake?

I really don't want to push the price too much higher than 1300, so the SSD isn't really viable.

Thank you in advance for any responses.
April 3, 2012 1:32:26 PM

Sorry, that 1300 in the last sentence is £1300.
April 3, 2012 1:43:27 PM

Skip the watercooling and get a hyper 212 evo cooler then you can afford a 7870. Thats my advice.
April 3, 2012 5:37:48 PM

Hydroc10 said:
Skip the watercooling and get a hyper 212 evo cooler then you can afford a 7870. Thats my advice.

I'd definitely second this - especially when the Antec Kuhler didn't fare well against the Corsair H80 in a recent roundup. Also if you don't plan to SLI or Crossfire then you could even drop the PSU down a bit to a Corsair TX750 or similar and get a good 64GB SSD for your boot drive.
!