My PC wont stay on for more than about 10 minutes.

cenderone

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
I just upgraded my pc, but I only put it into a new case, nothing else. Now when I turn it on, it only lasts for about 10 minutes. When it shuts down it is just instant, no blue screen or any error, it just goes black. Then it will try to reboot but it will shut down while rebooting, then it will try again and start up all the way, only to shut down about 10 minutes later. What should I do?

Solution

Not unless it's "electrically conductive". Good news about the tabs (that happens a lot). Fingers crossed for you. :)

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

You should list your components so we know what we're dealing with. It sounds like the PSU to me - just a guess without knowing what you've got.

cenderone

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
sure, I have:
i5-2500k
old nVidia GTS 250
ASUS P8z68-v gen3 mobo
WD Cavair Green 500gb HDD
Antec EARTHWATS 500W
Also I should say that I just put it into a case with 10 case fans (up from my original 3 on my old case) And two cold cathodes.
I guess it probably is the PSU, so the question now.. How many Watts do I need?
EDIT: 8gb Corsair Vengeance

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Probably the best estimator on the web:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
when you use this put in your (someday) GPU upgrade so you'll be ready when and if.

skaz

Distinguished
Case fans are not typically huge power hogs. Lets get your temperatures out of the way first. Use a program like HWMonitor and watch your temperatures for those 10 minutes. Record them and report back.

Next open the case up and make sure everything from the PSU cables, to the sata connectors are firmly and correctly connected.

Also wouldn't hurt to check your windows event log for any helpful information given.

Hydroc10

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

What skaz said.

cind3r69

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
I would highly suggest unplugging every non essential piece and fan and only run your essentials, unplug all unnecessary usb cables but keyboard etc. if it boots let it sit at the windows login / desktop for awhile anbd see if it fails. if not turn it off and plug in an additional component (fans being lastly connected) if a particular component causes the issue, its likely either an issue with that component or a power issue, if you get to the end and start plugging in fans and that causes it to occur, its a power issue (or short somewhere) If that works but connecting usb devices , mouse etc causes it, it could be some sort of usb grounding out the chassis isuse, i've seen it before.

Pay close attention to the motherboard faceplate , and how the motherboard is mounted. make sure you dont have an extra mount where a screw doesn't match on your board etc. Good luck.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

I would still try the above suggestions first. Then repair if necessary.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Not unless it's "electrically conductive". Good news about the tabs (that happens a lot). Fingers crossed for you. :)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS