Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Audio is not working. Could a sound card fix this?

Last response: in Components
Share
July 17, 2012 1:19:46 AM

The only time I am able to get audio is when I plug my video card into my TV via HDMI. Whenever I plug in Speakers or headphones I get nothing. My computer detects they are in but still nothing. My playback devices available are Realtek Digital Output, Speakers and Samsung DLP-1. Does anybody have any insight of what the problem could be? I was thinking my on board audio is shot.
July 17, 2012 1:47:09 AM

when you checked your playback devices did you see if any are disabled?
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 1:52:43 AM

captaincharisma said:
when you checked your playback devices did you see if any are disabled?



2 of them say "Not plugged in". Realtek Digital Output is the default device and is highlighted.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 17, 2012 1:59:06 AM

is the device set to default (have a green check mark on it)?
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 2:00:57 AM

captaincharisma said:
is the device set to default (have a green check mark on it)?

Yep.
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 2:04:18 AM

try uninstalli the driver and then restart the computer so it will reinstall it
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 2:06:04 AM

captaincharisma said:
try uninstalli the driver and then restart the computer so it will reinstall it

How would I do that? Through the control panel? Which driver?
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 2:11:38 AM

right click on my computer and then when the window appears left click on device manager on the left. in the next windows click the + next to sound video,and game controllers. then you should see something with the name of your sound device right click on it and then click uninstall. after that close everything and restart the computer. once it reinstalls the sound driver check for sound
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 2:15:26 AM

captaincharisma said:
right click on my computer and then when the window appears left click on device manager on the left. in the next windows click the + next to sound video,and game controllers. then you should see something with the name of your sound device right click on it and then click uninstall. after that close everything and restart the computer. once it reinstalls the sound driver check for sound

I have 4 of them named "Nvidia High Definition Audio" and then 1 named "Realtek High Definition Audio". Which ones do I uninstall?
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 2:17:58 AM

hard to know without seeing it just do it to all of them. they will all get reinstalled anyway
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 2:34:20 AM

captaincharisma said:
hard to know without seeing it just do it to all of them. they will all get reinstalled anyway

A few things happened after doing that. Now in my Playback devices it lists, Digital Audio (S/PDIF), Headphones and Speakers. I have headphones plugged in and it has a green check mark next to it and it says audio is there but I hear nothing. And in my device manager under sound it lists the same 4 "Nvidia high Definition Audio" and now another one says "High Definition Audio Device". Still no sound after uninstalling and re installing the drivers.
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 2:41:13 AM

when you play any sound do any of the levels next to each device show any activity?
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 2:47:26 AM

captaincharisma said:
when you play any sound do any of the levels next to each device show any activity?

Yep. Headphones show activity when plugged in. Same goes for Speakers. Still no audio though.
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 2:48:55 AM

are any of those devices set as the default device?
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 2:54:18 AM

captaincharisma said:
are any of those devices set as the default device?

When nothing is plugged in it sets "Digital Audio (S/PDIF) as default. But when I plug in head headphones it sets that as default and "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)" says it's "ready"
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 3:04:08 AM

you have to disable the nvidia audio drivers. there telling the pc to use the hdmi/video card as the output for sound and not the mb. the green port on the back is going to be the output port for your sound. go to your mb vendor web page and download the sound drivers for your mb. in windows go to the control pannel and under nvidia sound click disable.
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 3:12:02 AM

smorizio said:
you have to disable the nvidia audio drivers. there telling the pc to use the hdmi/video card as the output for sound and not the mb. the green port on the back is going to be the output port for your sound. go to your mb vendor web page and download the sound drivers for your mb. in windows go to the control pannel and under nvidia sound click disable.

Would the Audio Driver's here be the correct ones? http://www.asrock.com/MB/download.us.asp?Model=Z68%20Ex... Also, how would I disable the Nvidia audio drivers? Through the Nvidia control panel? This is all it shows. http://gyazo.com/fac19759fd524727217d5a2e65584dde
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 4:02:44 AM

captaincharisma said:
in playback devices you would just right click on the NVIDIA device(s) and left click on "disable"

I don't see anything related to Nvidia in my list of Play back devices. I can disable the 4 "Nvidia High Definition Audio" in the device manager but I still cant hear anything. I really do appreciate you helping me out with this.
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 4:22:01 AM

Well I have been trying to get my audio to work for a few hours now and nothing has worked. Time for bed. I'll be back at this tomorrow.
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 12:13:06 PM

oleanderx said:
2 of them say "Not plugged in". Realtek Digital Output is the default device and is highlighted.


Thats the wrong output. The Digital Output is for using the SPDIF port, not the analog outputs. If using a standard 3.5mm TRS connection, you want "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio Device)" as the default output device.
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 1:46:34 PM

^^ You shouldn't have to. I have THREE different audio outputs on my system right now, and they don't conflict at all:

Realtek Onboard
NVIDIA HDMI
ASUS Xonar Xense

If you wanted to kill the NVIDIA audio driver, you need to go to the control panel->programs, uninstall the NVIDIA drivers. You should get an option to uninstall just the audio driver. Again though, thats not the problem.
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 5:27:19 PM

gamerk316 said:
^^ You shouldn't have to. I have THREE different audio outputs on my system right now, and they don't conflict at all:

Realtek Onboard
NVIDIA HDMI
ASUS Xonar Xense

If you wanted to kill the NVIDIA audio driver, you need to go to the control panel->programs, uninstall the NVIDIA drivers. You should get an option to uninstall just the audio driver. Again though, thats not the problem.

Could my onboard audio be dead?
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 7:55:06 PM

Possible, though unlikely. Did you do my first recommendation yet?
m
0
l
July 17, 2012 10:28:55 PM

gamerk316 said:
Possible, though unlikely. Did you do my first recommendation yet?

I looked through my program list and found a few things from Nvidia but nothing Audio related. I can "disable" the audio drivers from the device manager but that didn't help.
m
0
l
!