Test pc parts before buying

jimiwilli

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hello, Hope you guys can helpCPU AMD|PH II X4 970 AM3 3.5G %

I just purchased a combo from Newegg that came with this Motherboard: MB BIOSTAR|N68S3+ MCP68S AM3 R and this processor CPU AMD|PH II X4 970 AM3 3.5G. I've read mix things and want to know if anyone can help me:)

The manufacture website states that it is "recommended" with CPU 95W. The phenom II X4 is 125w. It has the phenom II X4 as a supported CPU, but I know there are a few different phenom II X4's available. My question is there a way to confirm these 2 will work together? If they do, is there a major trade off? I will be using this heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact. It will also be in this case: RAIDMAX|ATX-612WEBP BK and I've purchased a few extra fans. Help please :)

thanks!

Its not guarenteed to work, the 970 is not on the CPU support list by biostar so i would say you have about a 20% chance of it being supported and working, CPU support lists tend to be the only CPUs that the board can run, and a 970 draws more power than the board was made for and would likely hurt it in the long run.
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=497

As for the power supply that comes with that case, raidmax doesn't even sell it as a stand alone unit because then it would have to report the specs on it and just how old and crappy it really is. First thing i would do with that system is swap out the power supply to something that isn't a raidmax, logisys, apevia, or anything else that offers you a 500W PSU for less than $40, they are all little firecrackers in a tin can waiting to go boom.