Sign in with
Your question

Router going bad?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 26, 2011 5:26:06 AM

How can you tell if your wireless router is going bad?

I called my ISP provider several time about my internet connecting dropping or randomly going slow. Some pages don't finish loading at times. tumblr.com the blogging site RARELY load in full. I'll be lucky to get 30% of the page to load. They tell me nothing is wrong with their signal coming in. So is it my router? It's only 2 years old.... Belkin N and the signal strength is fine.

More about : router bad

June 26, 2011 5:09:48 PM

What wireless card do you have in the computer?

One way to determine whether it is the wireless router or something else is by directly connecting the computer to the router using a cat 5 cable (Ethernet cable).
m
l
June 28, 2011 5:26:08 AM

I doubt its the card since i concluded this happens with my ipod and laptop too when the problem is occurring. I have a linksys wireless g. You guys have no idea how extremely annoying it is when everything starts misbehaving (going slow).
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2011 1:45:16 PM

bluva said:
I doubt its the card since i concluded this happens with my ipod and laptop too when the problem is occurring. I have a linksys wireless g. You guys have no idea how extremely annoying it is when everything starts misbehaving (going slow).

Linksys is a reliable router. I just changed my Linksys 'G' router to a Linksys 'N' router. Works great!

You say that the signal strength is good. And since other devices also malfunction randomly, the problem can be isolated to either 1) the modem, or 2) the incoming signal from the ISP, or 3) both.

Get the ISP to send over a technician and check everything out. Tell them to install a signal monitor (hardware or software) at your house temporarily. If you continue to experience problems, it means that their system is to blame. Change the ISP.
m
l
June 29, 2011 3:09:46 AM

Ubrales said:
Linksys is a reliable router. I just changed my Linksys 'G' router to a Linksys 'N' router. Works great!

You say that the signal strength is good. And since other devices also malfunction randomly, the problem can be isolated to either 1) the modem, or 2) the incoming signal from the ISP, or 3) both.

Get the ISP to send over a technician and check everything out. Tell them to install a signal monitor (hardware or software) at your house temporarily. If you continue to experience problems, it means that their system is to blame. Change the ISP.

How do you fix limited connection issue?

i want to do a wired signal test and it says its limited.
m
l
June 29, 2011 1:41:19 PM

bluva said:
How do you fix limited connection issue?

i want to do a wired signal test and it says its limited.

I re-installed the router, and took this as an opportunity to put in a new password for WPA2 protection. Cisco 'Connect' will walk you through this. Download and save the manual for the router.
m
l
December 10, 2012 11:12:59 PM

Sometimes 2.5 GHZ telephones can interfere with the wireless signal, make sure all phones are at 5 GHZ.

Also, if there are other wireless connections in the vicinity, you may try changing the channel, by default it is 6. Try 1 or 11 instead.

You can check the status of your router, for a linksys, the setting screen should be 192.168.1.1, type that into your address bar in your browser and hit enter, check the status.

if you asked for a password for linksys, it is normally admin for user name and admin or blank for the password.

Ensure encryption is enabled and the code changed often as others can access your network when you are wireless.

Ensure all cables are grounded properly, connecting a multimeter set to ohms, connect one end to the connector and the other penetrate the insulation, the reading should be 0 ohms, anything else indicated a bad connector. (coaxial only)

Splitters cause decibel loss on the incoming signal, if you do call a tech, have them check the signal at the drop.
m
l
August 13, 2013 10:05:05 AM

Even I'm the exact same problem. Whenever my that yellow triangle would appear I would remove the ethernet cable from the router and plug it in the laptop and it would work fine without the wireless router. Have you found any solution for this?
m
l
February 4, 2014 8:35:58 AM

bluva said:

m
l
!