5 MP, 2.5" LCD, Point and Shoot Cameras

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 15, 2005 12:11:34 AM

5 MP, 2.5" LCD, Point and Shoot Cameras:

I am looking for a "point and shoot" 5 MP digital camera with a large 2.5"
LCD monitor, and I need some suggestions on what is the best one for my
needs (which I discuss below).

I have looked at Nikon, Casio, Olympus, Sony, and Fuji models - all with 5
megapixels - and with 2.5" LCD screens. They are all light-weight, thin
ones that can
go in my pants pocket. They are all in the $300-400 range. I am not
concerned about the price.
I have been to the websites for all of these and am now comparing
specifications. I am leaning
toward the Casio Z55. Anyone had any experience with it?

I have looked at:

Nikon S1
Casio Z55
Olympus Stylus 500 Digital
Sony DSCT 33
Fuji Z1

I want a small, fairly thin digital camera that I can carry in my pants
pocket. This essentially limits it to a
"point and shoot" camera. I don't want one of the larger, more professional
type cameras, because they are bulkier and their lenses stick out, and you
cannot carry one in your pocket very easily. The point and shoot type
still has lots of options for adjustments, and that is plenty for me.

I like the Casio, because it has both a viewfinder and an LCD monitor.
Unfortunately, I found out today that the above-mentioned Nikon, Olympus,
and Sony models have only a monitor screen but no viewfinder. That means in
bright sunlight it would be hard to compose your picture, because it would
be hard to see the screen. But with a viewfinder, you could see what you
are getting. (Of course, I know the viewfinder does not see the entire
picture that the monitor does.) It looks like the manufacturers are
beginning to leave off the viewfinders on the cameras with these new large
LCD monitors.

I currently have an Olympus Stylus 400 4MP. It has been a good camera with
no problems, but I want one of the new larger 2.5" screens.

I don't need a 7 MP, as I do not plan to make larger prints than 4 x 6 or 5
x 7.

Anybody had any experience with the above-mentioned cameras? Any comments?
Thanks. Jeff
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:11:35 AM

I have the Sony DSC-T11, which I think is very similar to the DSC-T33
if not exactly the same. The LCD is usable under bright sunlight. And
the LCD backlight can be turned off. In this mode, under the sunlight,
the screen looks the same as if the backlight is on in the dark! I was
quite amazed.

Chieh
--
Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/